Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Facecloth

We need to talk about Jonny Evans

On 28/11/2020 at 19:56, Deeg67 said:

I have a bad back.  If I had to try and play football, you can bet your ass I'd "have a serious look about me" too.  It impacts every element of your life, including sleeping.  If indeed Evans is suffering from chronic back pain, the best thing for him would be to get a few weeks off when Cags comes back.  Go back to a back four (which is what we should be using against 90% of our opposition anyway) and give the old guy a chance to recuperate.  Depending on the nature of the injury it might not help much, but it certainly won't do any harm.

Evan's situation resonates with us mortals who've had chronic injuries but especially a back related one! pain killers/anti inflamms & physio all help to take the edge off but the best medicine is rest. Evan's has landed on his back so many times that the sight of him clutching his hips arching his back is now becoming all too common. Either he's rested soon or we lose him for the rest of the season. I'd rather have a fit player than a liability one struggling with pain. Maybe big Wes can help out for a while? Oh and tell the Irish Fed to P off with regards to anymore pointless international friendlies.  :nono:

• Like 2

He’s been awful the recently. He’s not really showing enough to ask for big bucks with a new contract. I hope he’s just carrying a knock because if he isn’t he looks like he’s declining rapidly. Gone from being a player of the year candidate to a bomb scare.

23 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Word on the street that he’s off to United in January for around £5m. Wouldn’t be totally disastrous business for us. 

Why would we sell for £5m?

Worth hanging on to him for another six months then leaving for free rather than take £5m and leave ourselves in the shit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

Our best defender last night, again.

With a knackered left back one side of him, and a novice the other.

Just saying.

Justin and wasnt even close tbh, evans crossed the ball into our own box and played one of their players onside for the goal, a shaky performance at best.

10 minutes ago, murphy said:

Why would we sell for £5m?

Worth hanging on to him for another six months then leaving for free rather than take £5m and leave ourselves in the shit.

With less CBs floating around, it might make Rodgers have another look at 4 atb...

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Perfect game for him to get back in the zone, hopefully move to a back 4 with him and Fofana in there soon but as soon as Soyuncu is back again I think the back 3 will be implemented again.

Don't have an issue with that if we have both Castagne and Riccardo fit.

• Like 2

Him and Wes aren’t working. We’re getting undone far too much where Wes is aggressively pressing and Johnny can’t get up to his line. Hence why it feels like every chance conceded at the moment is us sprinting back to defend the counter.

Either Wes’ positioning and composure improves (which it will) or you play him with Cags on return who has the athleticism to keep up. 

Slowly getting there. I know circumstances meant that needs must but in an ideal world he would have been given more of a chance to get fit from that back problem because he hasn't looked right since before yesterday.

Will be interesting to see what happens when all three of Fofana, Soyuncu and Evans are fit. I imagine it will be similar to when we had Soyuncu, Evans and Maguire in that Fofana will wait his turn.

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Have I imagined it or was this first reported a month ago ???

Evans said a while ago that he hoped to stay and that they would discuss an extension, although nothing had happened at that point. Possibly that's what you're thinking of. It's now a case of discussions starting I presume.