Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Liverpool A Post Match Thread

Just now, Mr Weller said:

Put a brave face on it if you like but that defeat shows we’re not as good as we hoped we were. We looked beaten at half time and psychologically that will take some getting over.

I fear a similar reaction to last year.

No... We will be fine. Our next three league games are really winnable. So let's see how they go.

3 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Am I the only one that thinks we were denied a cast iron penalty in the 3rd minute?? Could have been a different game with them chasing it.

They were a level above us, even if we'd scored the pen (probably was 1) I don't think we'd have won.

12 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

The game plan seemed to be similar to man city. The problem there was that Liverpool even with 4 key players out are a level above man city and that the gameplan is completely busted if you go 2 goals down. Didnt help that so few of our players played even reasonably well. Most teams will lose to them this season, making the top 4 is not dependent on this game and our next few games against the dross of the division are far more important. As long as we get points in those games we can write this one off. 

Trouble is Arsenal and MC want to play short passing game in front of you, with more patience. Liverpool play quickly, more direct, will go long at times, hit diagonals etc. They commit more men forward and unless you find a way of breaking it down we just end up sat deep waiting for the inevitable. It didn't work but that isnt to say it cant again in other games.

Vardy was incredibly isolated but we lacked aggression tonight, youri, madders and barnes all second best in challenges. 

Have to admire the Liverpool game play and their commitment to the cause, it's worth a goal start when you're in that mood.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dandy king said:

I'm not sure the set up was the issue tonight, more the fact that Jonny Evans scores a beauty in the wrong net in the first 20 and  after that no one seems to have be able to control a football James Justin aside

I agree, defensively poor and didn't have any conviction to put another attacker on which is poor.

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Also credit where it's due, the way Liverpool are so adept at running their press, irrespective of the personnel they use is incredible. Klopp is making a name for being one of the best Premier League coaches of all time because of it.

Agreed. That said, I did think they had a tactic to foul Mendy as often as possible and they were allowed to get away with it. Don't get me wrong, they were miles better than us and it probably would have made little difference to the scoreline but Mendy has been great at controlling things from deep for us and they rough-housed him time and again and were allowed to do so.

• Like 3

Just now, Mr Weller said:

I hope you’re right but I’m not convinced 

I think it was just one of them where they were just off it. If they win the next three, they will be really well set. Obviously if they only take 4 points, then it could go a bit wrong. But, key players coming back will give us a good lift.

6 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

Put a brave face on it if you like but that defeat shows we’re not as good as we hoped we were. We looked beaten at half time and psychologically that will take some getting over.

I fear a similar reaction to last year.

This time hopefully the return of Timmy, Riccy, Wilf and Cags will act as a positive, get a quick positive result and we will be fine, a bad day at the office move on.

Edited by smitha

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

This was the core for Liverpool's win. 

Their midfield cramped ours, meaning Mendy, Tielemans, Maddison couldn't find pockets of space and interplay like in other games they've profited from. They were all over us like a rash and we felt suffocated. When the midfield don't have control of the game it's very difficult for us to create and threaten. 

Our midfield is too easily overrun because we lack a physical presence and your never going to get that form Tielemans or Maddison. Even on the ball Tielemans looked lost today and Maddison was pretty much a passenger all game. I just wonder is he still having trouble with his long term injury.

But the Manger sets the tone for the performance and I just feel the players weren't in the right frame of mind from the off.

Then when things don't go well they struggle. Having said you you can't take anything away from Liverpool's performance, They were well up for it were we lacked belief from the start. We need another Window or 2 to bridge that gap and add the right players.

1 minute ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Anyone who thinks that's a legit pen has no right to ever use the phrase "games gone" - ever.....

Having watched the games yesterday with the handball penalties given ours was a cast iron penalty.

I don't agree with the rule, but it should be used consistently