Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Brentford (a) Pre-Match (FA Cup)

13 minutes ago, kiwiturk said:

Does Under still need to impress anyone?

I thought that's what he has been doing all along.

It's almost certain than that Foxes don't want to pay $20 mil. for him that's why he benched after voted MOTM twice in a row. 

The decision surrounding him is purely financial.

I don't think it's quite that simple. I too very much like what I've seen so far and think he looks incredibly promising (I was unaware that he'd won two mom awards, who was that with?). However, he most possibly wasn't fit enough when he first arrived as he'd not played too much competitive football. He understandably had to be given some time to adapt to both Rodgers ways and requirements, our more physical and fast paced Premiership game compared to Serie A, his new surroundings, culture and new team-mates. He then unfortunately sustained an untimely injury and we also started playing a different system/formation. Other players in the meantime have played incredibly well and made themselves difficult to drop.

I don't think we would have entered into the deal in the first place if we couldn't afford it and I don't think our owners are exactly short of money. However, just maybe Rodgers, having seen him every day, just doesn't believe that he could fit in with his requirements long term but that's just a complete guess. There may also be personal reasons that we are unaware of. I personally think we'll see him again pretty soon but arguably we are a better team currently than the one he's arrived from and competition is even greater than at Roma and I'm saying that as someone who's second team is Roma so there's no axe to grind there. 

7 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I don't think it's quite that simple. I too very much like what I've seen so far and think he looks incredibly promising (I was unaware that he'd won two mom awards, who was that with?). However, he most possibly wasn't fit enough when he first arrived as he'd not played too much competitive football. He understandably had to be given some time to adapt to both Rodgers ways and requirements, our more physical and fast paced Premiership game compared to Serie A, his new surroundings, culture and new team-mates. He then unfortunately sustained an untimely injury and we also started playing a different system/formation. Other players in the meantime have played incredibly well and made themselves difficult to drop.

I don't think we would have entered into the deal in the first place if we couldn't afford it and I don't think our owners are exactly short of money. However, just maybe Rodgers, having seen him every day, just doesn't believe that he could fit in with his requirements long term but that's just a complete guess. There may also be personal reasons that we are unaware of. I personally think we'll see him again pretty soon but arguably we are a better team currently than the one he's arrived from and competition is even greater than at Roma and I'm saying that as someone who's second team is Roma so there's no axe to grind there. 

FT's Turkish community. lol

I like what I've seen of Under so far, but the team is currently doing great on a very good run and you don't unnecessarily change a winning side.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Good point. Let's see how the rest of the season unfolds...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

FT's Turkish community. lol

I like what I've seen of Under so far, but the team is currently doing great on a very good run and you don't unnecessarily change a winning side.

I agree and that's why, if fit, tomorrow would be a great opportunity for him to play. It would reintroduce him after injury to get him back up to speed and stake his claim for the first team. It also would benefit others by giving them a rest. Also, though admittedly not fully fit and firing on all cylinders, I relish the prospect of seeing Ricardo and Under playing together because they have the promise of being an absolute nightmare for opposition defences!

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

The key to rotation is leaving in place some key partnerships and the spine of the team. So for that reason I'd start Ndidi and Tielemans and I'd also be tempted to play Schmeichel and Evans. So Ricardo, Cags, Evans and Thomas in the back 4 ie 3 of last year's back 4, with Wilf and Youri in front. That would give us a solid base against a dangerous team, with Ünder, Perez, Barnes and Nacho as the forward players.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...this team looks extremely strong!!!

Justin needs to be rested, Albrighton needs to rest we could bring in Ünder and Wakeling to play up front. Ndidi and Tielemans to drop to the bench with Mendy (yes I know) coming in. We will be playing a team with a much changed first team for Brentford.

Give me strength!

• Haha 1

I would go Ricardo, Fuchs/Amartey, Cags, Thomas, Mendy, Hamza, Under, Perez, Gray, Kelechi.  That should be enough and if it's not, so be it. But it does highlight that we're a creative MF and a winger short of having full squad depth at the moment.  And of course, Under may be getting Silva'd.

Maddison, Barnes, and Tielemans on the bench if needed.  No Vardy under any circumstances.

3 hours ago, kiwiturk said:

.The absent of Cengiz may be related to BR start building life after Vardy and he doesn't want specific delivery guys for the Vardy.

What BR after is, instead of compartmentilazing the team like defense, midfield and forward, he is process of implementing Bayern Munich style all inclusive football where all player regardless of their position, becoming more mobile and involving every aspects of the game.

do not disagree about less focus on providing balls to Vardy, but I am not sure I get the bit about Cengiz if I am honest. May well be my own assumptions, but it seemed too me that we looked like the front three were moving toward a more Liverpool type formation where the two wide attackers would claim most goals, and Vardy (or whoever plays that role) acts as pivot, mainly for providing balls to oncoming wide attackers. For such an approach Barnes and Cengiz seem ideal.

So many games coming. We need a fit squad. But that means squad members have to play, periodically. This is as good an opp as we’ll get anytime soon. Therefore -

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Amartey

Soyuncu

Thomas

Mendy 

Ünder

Choudhury

Perez

Barnes

Iheanacho

would like to have rested Barnes, too, but couldn’t think of another alternative? 

Those calling for lads to be rested should look at the appearance table. Based on that, the ones who MUST be rested are JJ & Youri. Plus of course Vards. We've played something like 25 games this season and some of the first team starters (last match) have only appeared in half of them. Obviously Brendan will assess match per match. But basically not all of our  thoroughbreds have been heavily run.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I would go Ricardo, Fuchs/Amartey, Cags, Thomas, Mendy, Hamza, Under, Perez, Gray, Kelechi.  That should be enough and if it's not, so be it. But it does highlight that we're a creative MF and a winger short of having full squad depth at the moment.  And of course, Under may be getting Silva'd.

Maddison, Barnes, and Tielemans on the bench if needed.  No Vardy under any circumstances.

I like your confidence. Starting without a goalkeeper. 

5 hours ago, kiwiturk said:

But also I've also noticed the recent restructuring of 3rd Zone( attacking area) as the Barnes and Madders targeting opposition post directly. I sensed that their primary roles changed from always supplying and servicing first to Vardy to go for gold for yourself.

The recent scoring draught for Vardy and increasing numbers of goals for both Barnes and Madders is the perfect explanation for that.

I will throw something wild in the middle.

The absent of Cengiz may be related to BR start building life after Vardy and he doesn't want specific delivery guys for him.

What BR after is, instead of compartmentilazing the team like defense, midfield and forward, maybe he is in process of implementing Bayern Munich style all inclusive football where all player regardless of their position, becoming more mobile and involving every aspects of the game.

PS: This is my own opinion as a former professional football player and coach.

You may not be agree but please no need for rude and smartass comments.

Some interesting thoughts and probably true. We had become over reliant on one player's goals. It's been a worry for a while now that should an injury occur to Vardy, we could really struggle big time! He's certainly not going to be replaced by Iheanacho or Perez but to be honest, who could replace him.

There is some previous history however at Liverpool with Rodgers demanding goals from different sources and that can only be a positive thing. Until now we just haven't had the players but the emergence of Barnes has been incredible and Under on the other side, backed up by Ricardo, Castagne (or Justin) with Maddison thrown into the mix is starting to look very ominous. A defence can perhaps successfully combat 1 Vardy but not a combination of that lot running at them! Very exciting time.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Those calling for lads to be rested should look at the appearance table. Based on that, the ones who MUST be rested are JJ & Youri. Plus of course Vards. We've played something like 25 games this season and some of the first team starters (last match) have only appeared in half of them. Obviously Brendan will assess match per match. But basically not all of our  thoroughbreds have been heavily run.

I’d imagine we will rest Maddison as he’s been carrying an ongoing knock. 

This is of course only supposition, but I wonder if Brendan doesn't trust Under to do the defensive work required.

In recent weeks, I've noticed the odd - what I took to be - slightly pointed comment in interviews with BR & others. Maddison - "if you don't run, you don't play in a Brendan Rodgers team". Effusive praise from BR about Albrighton's tactical awareness and utter commitment to the team cause. That sort of thing. Given how cohesive we are looking as a unit at the moment, I doubt Brendan wants to put anyone in who isn't 100% in sync with the requirements.

I don't want to cast aspersions on Under's playing style as he's clearly a talent and I've no reason to believe he has a bad attitude - it can often take players a while to adapt to new styles of play, and maybe BR and co are just ensuring that message is hammered home before they feel they can trust him.

He's also had a knock and, as with others coming back from injury, our fine performances give us the luxury of not having to chuck him in.

This is our only opportunity to rest Ndidi/Tielemans, other positions we could potentially get away with resting one or two or freshing things up in league games against Leeds and Fulham but we can't go into a league game without them two in midfield. 

We probably have to start Mendy/Choudhury, or with Amartey in there. And hope for the best. 

• Like 2