Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Brentford (a) Pre-Match (FA Cup)

4 hours ago, Webbo said:

It'd be good if crowds were allowed back in for the final, but only over 50s. It'd suit me lol 

With all over 50s though imagine the amounts of moaning there would be though! Little chanting or singing, just a general murmuring sound of grumbling, sighs, and the odd overly personal jibe shouted at the referee to cut through it. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, BrummieFOX said:

But why do we want to keep our best players? To win trophies! 

Obviously but at the wages we are able to pay, the ones we really need to keep will be likely to have their heads turned by clubs with CL football paying bigger money.   We won’t be able to keep those players on the back of an fa cup win but we would probably with a CL qualification.....

if an fa cup win this season satisfies the fan base as being the high point of the post title winning period theme of course that’s fine. Others may feel that the club can perhaps aim higher and keeping the squad together provides possibilities of future trophies and a period of top six competing ........

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

With all over 50s though imagine the amounts of moaning there would be though! Little chanting or singing, just a general murmuring sound of grumbling, sighs, and the odd overly personal jibe shouted at the referee to cut through it. :D

Yep..all those under 50s, still Chanting  & singing the same  Songs ,those over 50s  created...

Dambusters & Great Escape Sweet Caroline, still echoing around stadiums in 50yrs time...:crylaugh:

• Like 2

Ideal opportunity to play Ricardo and Soyunchu, only real players we can't really replace with something somewhat adequate to do the job against Brentford is Tielmans and Barnes, think the likes of Ward, Thomas, Amartey, Perez, Mendy, Under and Nacho can get us through to the next round, even though Brentford are a good side.

5 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I’m not sure it would be like that. That implies us over 50’s would be watching the game. More likely, we’d  be in the toilet ensuring we wash our hands thoroughly and tutting at those that don’t. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Because I think folks are panicking we can't possibly play without either Youri or Madders. I think we can by being creative.

I think we can too, we have a really decent squad of players to utilise now. My thoughts were however that we need to get minutes into Ricardo in his best position and minutes into Under to determine whether he can form a relationship/connection on the field of play with Ricardo and ultimately if we want to keep him. Ricardo is not a winger, he's best coming from deep as a defender. Round pegs in round holes. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TrentFox said:

I’m not sure it would be like that. That implies us over 50’s would be watching the game. More likely, we’d  be in the toilet ensuring we wash our hands thoroughly and tutting at those that don’t. 

I have never..Never!!!.  Tutted in my over 50 life...:ill:

I still Jump up & down like a 20yrs old ( in my mind)  instead of doing cartwheels & Jumping over the Next guy After we Score as been Now replaced by Wheelies in my wheelchair...or getting propelled out of my TV-chair, when pressing the fking wrong Button out of excitement...:frantics:

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Clive Taylor said:

For us older supporters the FA cup will always be special. The FA cup run to Wembley in 1969 was special to me as a 9 year old. I would love to see us there this season.

But it doesn't feel like the same competition anymore!..

It's still the same cup but in a much devalued form.

Back in the day the 1st Division teams would play their strongest 11 in every round to try and get through. The semi finals weren't played at Wembley!.. that was part of the prize of making the final!

F A Cup Saturday round of fixtures was extra special.. doesn't feel that way now?

If you were drawn against a stronger team away, the question was.. can we get a draw and bring them back to our place!.... that's gone too.

The final itself.... Saturday 3pm live on terrestrial TV... build up started at 9am. Coverage of a major footballing event.... now..

5pm ko!!

It's far from where it was back in it's heyday...

A devalued Cup competition that a handful of clubs treat seriously.

Shame!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Back in the day the 1st Division teams would play their strongest 11 in every round to try and get through. The semi finals weren't played at Wembley!.. that was part of the prize of making the final!

F A Cup Saturday round of fixtures was extra special.. doesn't feel that way now?

If you were drawn against a stronger team away, the question was.. can we get a draw and bring them back to our place!.... that's gone too.

The final itself.... Saturday 3pm live on terrestrial TV... build up started at 9am. Coverage of a major footballing event.... now..

5pm ko!!

Shame!

Yeh...have to agree...except somehow I will Hang on in desperation and Way despite those points, that throws tradition into the papar-basket,und

No matter where in the world, that FA.cup Full day was/is something special, no matter which Teams were playing...

The semi-finals at wembly Please get rid...

I have known/know Foreign fans und players...who still find Attachments strong Feelings for The English FA.cup & day.

So I will shy und steer away from the word devalued..!!  I am an old fogie, Love traditions, but only so far...Our lives change, fans Work-lives more varied, flexible & different.

TV is that Split personality, Schizophrenic- medium, but the modern fan, Build their own traditions, due to their more varied lives....

So Cup competotions, also have to move with the times...

Though in todays World & predicament " Auld lang syn" ..might still be needed and prudent to present,embrace & start the last 15 minutes

proceedings before K.Off.!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, weller54 said:

5pm ko!!

Shame!

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The semis at Wembley is crap, especially when we don't even get 40k or so tickets. Each team ends up with about 30k each and the rest goes to corporate which is ridiculous. If they did it and gave each team 40k tickets I'd understand it, as it gives more fans a chance to see their team at Wembley and the day out.

Agree, absolutely.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TrentFox said:

The queues at the bogs would be massive too. If they're anything like me, it'll take 10 minutes to dribble out what would have taken 10 seconds to do before swollen prostates got in the way. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The semis at Wembley is crap, especially when we don't even get 40k or so tickets. Each team ends up with about 30k each and the rest goes to corporate which is ridiculous. If they did it and gave each team 40k tickets I'd understand it, as it gives more fans a chance to see their team at Wembley and the day out.

Completely agree. Why not play the Semis at Cardiff Millennium Stadium. Leave the magic of Wembley just for the final. Welsh teams in fa cup, so no issue there. Cardiff is surprisingly easy to travel to, for most. Stadium is “neutral”. Big enough for large crowds (when we’re allowed back 👀)

Edited by FoxinNotts
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

5pm ko!!

Shame!

All of that is true but why are you allowing what other clubs or the media define what is special for you?

It is still a major trophy and miracles aside, the best one a club like ours has a realistic chance of winning.  The trophy itself is worth much more than the spectacle.

If you win the cup it's in the bank forever, bragging rights forever and a gaping hole in our honours list filled.   It's not quite the same to be able to say that we once finished fourth and qualified for The Champions League.  To me, that is nothing compared to winning the FA Cup.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Completely agree. Why not play the Semis at Cardiff Millennium Stadium. Leave the magic of Wembley just for the final. Welsh teams in fa cup, so no issue there. Cardiff is surprisingly easy to travel too for most. Stadium is “neutral”. Big enough for large crowds (when we’re allowed back 👀)

Playing the semis at Wembley is a horrible development. 

One of the best days in my early City-supporting years was the semi-final against WBA at Hillsborough in 69.

The neutral ground made it special - it was a massive ground then - but you knew you hadn't quite made it to the Holy Grail of Wembley. That was reserved for the truly special occasions. 

The knowledge that we'd made it there when Clarkie scored at the end made that celebration something that I rarely felt again. Up there with Thommo's equaliser against Swindon and the title season. 

Having said that, I feel that the FA Cup's made a bit of a comeback in the last year or two. The media narrative that it's become irrelevant is a bit of a cliché to be honest. There's life in the old dog yet. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Plus farting. Lots of farting. I know this to be true. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, murphy said:

All of that is true but why are you allowing what other clubs or the media define what is special for you?

It is still a major trophy and miracles aside, the best one a club like ours has a realistic chance of winning.  The trophy itself is worth much more than the spectacle.

If you win the cup it's in the bank forever, bragging rights forever and a gaping hole in our honours list filled.   It's not quite the same to be able to say that we once finished fourth and qualified for The Champions League.  To me, that is nothing compared to winning the FA Cup.

I think there is some truth in that. The idea that the FA Cup didn’t matter was transplanted into people’s minds by fans of the biggest clubs and picked up by the media obsession with them. The sentiment of: “.. I don’t care” was usually expressed by a fan when a big club got beat. 

Meanwhile all those clubs are absolutely desperate to get the FA Cup if they don’t win anything else. Only one club can win the PL and only one club can win the CL (and they’re not usually English). We say only a few clubs take it seriously when actually it’s just the same clubs that win it every year. Apart from twice in the last twenty five years - you know the teams I mean.

The reality is that winning trophies is as vital for our continued growth as a club as CL qualification. If we have a squad capable of sustaining a challenge over a whole season for a CL place then, by definition, we must have a team capable of winning the FA Cup at the same time. If the squad is so fragile that it can’t challenge in the FA cup, at the same time as challenging the CL places, then I don’t really believe we’re in a position to achieve either 

• Like 1