Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Brentford (a) Pre-Match (FA Cup)

28 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

This is of course only supposition, but I wonder if Brendan doesn't trust Under to do the defensive work required.

In recent weeks, I've noticed the odd - what I took to be - slightly pointed comment in interviews with BR & others. Maddison - "if you don't run, you don't play in a Brendan Rodgers team". Effusive praise from BR about Albrighton's tactical awareness and utter commitment to the team cause. That sort of thing. Given how cohesive we are looking as a unit at the moment, I doubt Brendan wants to put anyone in who isn't 100% in sync with the requirements.

I don't want to cast aspersions on Under's playing style as he's clearly a talent and I've no reason to believe he has a bad attitude - it can often take players a while to adapt to new styles of play, and maybe BR and co are just ensuring that message is hammered home before they feel they can trust him.

He's also had a knock and, as with others coming back from injury, our fine performances give us the luxury of not having to chuck him in.

Not agree at all. Define the dirty work and defensive attributes.

You got go back and watch recordings of a few previous games.

- I haven't watch Madders gone for a sliding defensive tackles.

- I haven't watch him sprinting 20 metres back to chase opposition players.

- I haven't watch Maddison to last more than 5 seconds shoulder to shoulder challenges with the any opposition players so what was he on mentioning dirt work? No bloody clue.

The fans confidence level on him was around %53 only 6 weeks ago so I'm all against tabloid style speculation based comments.

Edited by kiwiturk
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

This is our only opportunity to rest Ndidi/Tielemans, other positions we could potentially get away with resting one or two or freshing things up in league games against Leeds and Fulham but we can't go into a league game without them two in midfield. 

We probably have to start Mendy/Choudhury, or with Amartey in there. And hope for the best. 

If we start Hamza and Mendy together that would be some serious painful watching such a shame Praet is injured. I’d rather see an U23 in there with Mendy that has a bit more about them going forward... and if it’s not working bring Tielemens on as we have no option really.

Edited by les-tah

Just now, les-tah said:

If we start Hamza and Mendy together that would be some serious painful watching such a shame Praet is injured. I’d rather see an U23 in there with Mendy that has a bit about more them going forward.

Its not ideal but we can still win comfortably with them in there. Depending on how we play around them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I hear you but players and potentially the manager would leave after an fa cup whereas a Europa league win or top 4 finish keeps the squad and manger here for at least another season and we can try to sustain that top four finish next season too 

But why do we want to keep our best players? To win trophies! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Ivan Toney, their top scorer, was sent off in a league game yesterday so assume he'll definitely be out of this one unless they appeal successfully against the red card?

Is he suspended for their next match (us), or does it start for their next league match? 

My team for Sunday:

Ward

Riccy (First 45). Chestnuts (second 45)

Big Dan

Caglar

Luke T

Neck Ache

Youri (First 45) Hamza (second 45)

Madders

Cengo

Ayoze

Harvey (First 45) Kelechi (second 45)

Two further subs available in the second half.

The aim as ever being to win, but acknowledging that a) fringe players need game time b) we have a huge amount of games in February, and potentially March if we beat Slavia.

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I'm so worried about the Praet injury. Without him I think we struggle to rotate Youri and Madders

Yes I can see we have only two creative centre mids. So when do you rest them if they play most league & big games. Perhaps we have to accept that in games like Brentford Mendy & Hamza need to show a bit more of their skill set.

I’ve gone with rest 8, and can then use the 5 subs to hook the likes of Youri, Barnes and Evans after about an hour. Barnes is you g and in great form so good to keep that momentum going. Ricky, Ünder and Söyüncü all need minutes and would like Thomas to get a runout as well after impressing earlier in the campaign. Rather keep a couple of first team regulars and then use the subs to rest/ rotate rather than need to bring on the big guns when we’re chasing the game, but you’d hope this side should have enough. Would be interesting to see Perez in the whole just off Iheanacho and see how those 2 get on alternating between dropping deep and running in behind.

Ward 

Ricardo - Evans - Söyüncü - Thomas 

Mendy - Tielemans 

Ünder     -     Perez     -     Barnes 

Iheanacho

1 hour ago, kiwiturk said:

Not agree at all. Define the dirty work and defensive attributes.

You got go back and watch recordings of a few previous games.

- I haven't watch Madders gone for a sliding defensive tackles.

- I haven't watch him sprinting 20 metres back to chase opposition players.

- I haven't watch Maddison to last more than 5 seconds shoulder to shoulder challenges with the any opposition players so what was he on mentioning dirt work? No bloody clue.

The fans confidence level on him was around %53 only 6 weeks ago so I'm all against tabloid style speculation based comments.

Madders defensive side of his game has increased noticeably. I was watching him against Chelsea and his tracking back has improved no end. I don’t want madders 20 metres in his own half ... he’s wasted there and really you want him 20 metres in the opposing half. I want him where he is influencing the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoxFossil said:

When us over 65s are inoculated, will we be allowed back to games, cup final?

New chants needed. 'All we are saying is give us a...what's it called again dear?'

It'd be good if crowds were allowed back in for the final, but only over 50s. It'd suit me lol 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Crocyfox79 said:

Well if we want to win the FA cup we gotta go for it 

And I'm sure we will, with an appropriate team but, top 4 and Champions League football has to be our priority for our immediate future. Not only are the financial rewards far far superior,  but qualification would make us much more attractive for potential transfers in and equally important, potentially enable us to keep hold of players like Barnes, Fofana, Soyuncu, Ricardo, Maddison, Tielemans etc who quite understandably will see Champions League as playing at the top level. We have a very decent squad in depth now that can be used appropriately to rotate players not only for injury and fatigue reasons, but also, to ensure that they're fit and up to speed with our system of play if called upon later in the season. I'm sure Rodgers and our owners would love to win the FA Cup also and he'll put a side out that he thinks can win the game. Rodgers and his backroom staff will know who needs a rest. No point in flogging a dead horse (or shark) 😁

• Like 2

I don't want to see Vardy, Youri or Wilf anywhere near this game; Jamie needs time to ease his injury and the others are too integral to our chances in the other competitions.

As someone who cried all the way home from Wembley in '69, I never thought Id say this, but the Cup is the lowest priority this year( particularly as we can't be there at Wembley) and I don't want to see our most irreplacable players involved, certainly in the early rounds. I sincerely believe we are in the mix for the title and have a great chance of winning the Europa League. Who knows when we'll be in that position again?

We've waited this long to win the Cup, we can wait another year.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Simmo86 said:

Think it was 2 yellows. So can't appeal

Correct, No appeal with 2 yellows, so Toney will only miss this cup match, I believe that he would have been rested anyway, along with a few other 1st team players for this match, Our TOP priority is the EPL as we can't make the same mistake as last season of running out of steam like we did in the run up and in the Play off final against Fulham, We will still put out a decent mix of 1st and B team players that will give it a good go, but I think you will have too much quality for us to get a result.

Hopefully if all goes well for us :fc:, we will be looking forward to playing you twice next year in the PL.   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I was wondering whether Riccy P could play on the right of three in midfield. He is so talented that I bet he could. Then Timmy or Big Dan can cover RB. 

We have such a good squad I think we have options without forcing Youri or Wilf to play. Or perhaps we can find the next youth star.

Why would you want to do that when you could play Ricardo and Under in their natural positions?

5 hours ago, FoxFossil said:

When us over 65s are inoculated, will we be allowed back to games, cup final?

New chants needed. 'All we are saying is give us a...what's it called again dear?'

Your not the only fossil on here. Would go to the match if only I could remember where I put my car keys love 🤔

• Like 1

This is a game we can win and escape without injuries too. Certainly give the players who've clocked too many minutes a breather and bring fresh legs in BUT the team that goes out there must understand Brentford are a good side. Think of them as a decent premier league team and put on a performance. They will be no walk over but we should be able to beat them. If nachos steps in for Vardy he really needs to bring his A game and take them chances. There's no other way for him. High pressure high stakes if he really wants to be something special. Time is running out these are the moments that count.