Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Terrible TV Coverage

Martin Tyler given the ‘main match’ says everything about the rest of the commentators. The accents and overhyped comments of Neville and Carragher really grate. Tyler and JC seem always to have the same inability to string more than five or six words together without a hesitant pause.

4 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

Sorry folks, but I think Don Goodman is an excellent co-commentator! Yes, he says the occasional daft thing, but generally he is balanced, sensible and unbiased. Remember, he did play most of his career with Wolves but paid more complinents to City than his beloved Wanderers!

He actually played more times for West Brom, which, along with his time at Molyneux gives him a rare insight into the intricacies of football in the Black Country. I think he's a long way off from being the worst co-commentator. 

2 hours ago, SuperMike said:

Sorry folks, but I think Don Goodman is an excellent co-commentator! Yes, he says the occasional daft thing, but generally he is balanced, sensible and unbiased. Remember, he did play most of his career with Wolves but paid more complinents to City than his beloved Wanderers!

As random as it sounds, I've got a photo somewhere of Don in my kitchen wearing a Leicester scarf and holding a Leicester mug.

Will have a look for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don Goodman will always remind me of “these vile animals” when Kirkland went down like a sack of shit (was assaulted yes, before anyone starts) in that Wednesday Leeds match about 6/7 years ago at Hillsborough. He was absolutely licking his lips when that unfolded in front of him I bet lol 

26 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

As random as it sounds, I've got a photo somewhere of Don in my kitchen wearing a Leicester scarf and holding a Leicester mug.

Will have a look for it.

Definitely needs to be shared  ... particularly to friends in the West Midlands. I'm sure you could rely on us 😁

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

In fairness, he doesn't look overly keen 🤣.

My suspicion is that he lost a bet of some sort, nevertheless, still a great photo. I would have to do a bit of finger and expression photoshop work before submitting it as evidence of hidden Leicester loyalties 😁😅

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

In fairness, he doesn't look overly keen 🤣.

My suspicion is that he lost a bet of some sort, nevertheless, still a great photo. I would have to do a bit of finger and expression photoshop work before submitting it as evidence of hidden Leicester loyalties 😁😅

Okay, so this is what happened.

A few years ago, I regularly used to get a number of ex players/managers/pundits etc coming to my house where they'd sit in my kitchen and use my broadcasting facility to work on a Football League podcast. The guests were usually Midlands based and it saved them going to a studio in London to record. There's a fair bit of Leicester stuff around my house so these folk would know who I supported and Don, being the top bloke he is, agreed to pose with a scarf and mug for a laugh. (I jokingly moaned at him about always scoring against Leicester - pretty sure he did for WBA, Sunderland and maybe Wolves.)

He's not a Leicester fan - but he's certainly not a "Leicester-hater" either as some fans think. (Fans often think commentators/pundits are biased against their team - the only bias is from fans themselves.)

Hope that clears things up :thumbup:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

A few years ago, I regularly used to get a number of ex players/managers/pundits etc coming to my house where they'd sit in my kitchen and use my broadcasting facility to work on a Football League podcast. The guests were usually Midlands based and it saved them going to a studio in London to record. There's a fair bit of Leicester stuff around my house so these folk would know who I supported and Don, being the top bloke he is, agreed to pose with a scarf and mug for a laugh. (I jokingly moaned at him about always scoring against Leicester - pretty sure he did for WBA, Sunderland and maybe Wolves.)

He's not a Leicester fan - but he's certainly not a "Leicester-hater" either as some fans think. (Fans often think commentators/pundits are biased against their team - the only bias is from fans themselves.)

Nah... you sound biased about your mates ;)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ttfn said:

This is modern football, where the match itself is only of interest insofar as it advances the narratives of the different celebrities playing or managing.

This. Cannot believe the TV fans do this by choice. Cannot wait to have proper football back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

That's a great story isn't it. Remember him well actually playing for Wolves, big and powerful! 

Nothing wrong with a bit of rivalry though, it makes the football world go round and is great for banter in the workplace. I even have friends that are Forest and West Brom season ticket holders  ... but I don't like to talk about it much. It was nice to see recently though that Derby and Forest had put any differences behind them and were now able to sit next to each other  ... at the bottom of the Championship. 

• Haha 2

Usually liked Amazon but they've gone the way of their TV 'rivals' just now.

In the lead up to Southampton vs Wolves, they've spoken about Man City's ridiculously good form, and then Liverpool's bad form. That's it.

Thankfully Shearer gave us a bit of a shout (considering we're 2nd!) for having injuries too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2021 at 11:38, StanSP said:

Usually liked Amazon but they've gone the way of their TV 'rivals' just now.

In the lead up to Southampton vs Wolves, they've spoken about Man City's ridiculously good form, and then Liverpool's bad form. That's it.

Thankfully Shearer gave us a bit of a shout (considering we're 2nd!) for having injuries too. 

Unfortunately and unusually I can't see a humorous or sunny side to this thread,  We all subscibe to the problem when we fail to realise we pay a price for instantly   available  modern media whether its forums , social media , smart phones, mass media , popularism, celebrity culture and their associated philosophys such as political correctness,fake news etc. How long before all football results are fixed before the match ? And I'm not talking about crime.

I try hard to minimise the problem for myself but can't totally avoid it unless I go off grid which is  impossible in modern Britain and most of the world. Its just possible still ,I believe, in the USA of all places, but extremely difficult, and probably also possible in the third world if one can find a bit of the rapidly decreasing 3rd world. This of course also has an even higher price and has its dangers. So recently although I can almost stay totally clear of social media (its getting harder) I've relatively recently and reluctantly had to procure a smart phone, and of course I already had a computer connected to everyone  

This inevitably is not a popular viewpoint, and its difficult to even get to a spot to view it from wihout reading the increasingly hidden communication material by guys smarter than me who got to the viewpoint earlier and independently. Its not easy to see immediately the connection between for instance celebrity culture ,human nature and appalling football broadcasting. We're all human. When one is up to your nostrils in a huge manure heap  with manure still raining down its hard to see who is holding the shovels, although occasionally one glimpses huge wads of cash in their hip pockets. If you're lucky you can't tell part of a wad was once yours. Perhaps one way to give a clue to the problem is to say once everyone can communicate , usually anonymously, information to every other person how can you find  the information you want,or maybe ought to be wanting. Anyway would n't I be happier when in my world LCFC always win the PL but in Manchester they are happier as they always win the PL ? May be possible by 2084 when LC United have replaced LCFC and MU and bias vaccines can be injected into the brain directly.

Anyway I'm happy to be an oldie as I suspect the answer is no and I won't be around in 2084 and I have an Oldie license allowing grumbliing and complaining right up until then .This enables me legally to post agreement , while recognising I ,in my minute way, am part of the problem.

To get to a little detail which probably also won't be popular. Gerry Taggert seems a nice guy and as he's a former club servant he probably deserves his job as a commentator's celebrity assistant. I do however wish he had had some training first so that he added to ,rather than subtracted from  the information the commentator is trying to communicate. After all the commentator is not brilliant imo compared with radio 5 for instance , and the whole shebang  seems to have gone downhill since the days when a single commentator single handedly managed to provide a fairly accurate mental picture of what was going on, often over the top of the early patchy B and W pictures.

Edited by Alan Frost

Watching Leeds v Southampton yesterday, Bill Leslie was the commentator I think. I usually don't have a problem with him, usually find him ok/better than others, but he said a couple of strange things. One being, "Dallas has now leveled his best scoring season for Leeds, with whatever he got last season"... I was surprised he just said "whatever" lol

Is there too many games in close proximity now that even commentators are giving up.

4 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Turned on Sky Sports Gillette Soccer Special, I saw that Tim Sherwood came on and everything he said annoyed me.

Apparently, the danger clubs to look out for in the Europa league are the English clubs.  This translates as "I don't know anything about European clubs".

What an utter know-nothing gobshite he is.

This is news to you? Everyone else has been aware of this for a while. Apart from Sky obviously.