Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
420Hashish

Wolves (A) Pre Match Thread

Such an odd side, Wolves. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them sit in and hit us on the break. They won’t come at us I don’t think, so it will be a case of breaking them down. I always get the feeling Wolves come into games against sides around them setting up not to lose, which probably explains why they haven’t been on it as much this season. Tough game, but I think Wolves’s (what appears to me) lack of self belief will hold them back. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a performance from them that reflects the team on paper, you look at their starting line up and think, blimey, there’s some quality on that team, and they they either scrape a 1-0 or get narrowly beaten. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Cant believe no one has said Spider Kalac yet as a foot in both camp.

Actually thinking about it you could have a pretty horrendous X1 of players who have played for both teams.

Kalac

Mark Venus

Bob Hazell

Richard Stearman

Ryan Bennett

Steve Corica

Scott Taylor

Carl Cort

Nathan Blake

Ade Akinbiyi

Marcus Bent

All managed by Mark McGhee

Nev Hamilton and Jim Melrose on the bench.

Assistant Manager Mike Stowell.

22 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Such an odd side, Wolves. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them sit in and hit us on the break. They won’t come at us I don’t think, so it will be a case of breaking them down. I always get the feeling Wolves come into games against sides around them setting up not to lose, which probably explains why they haven’t been on it as much this season. Tough game, but I think Wolves’s (what appears to me) lack of self belief will hold them back. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a performance from them that reflects the team on paper, you look at their starting line up and think, blimey, there’s some quality on that team, and they they either scrape a 1-0 or get narrowly beaten. 

I think @TheBear would this answer better than me but I don't really see wolves changing there system for anyone. They like the having the ball and have some very good players like Neves and Moutinho who keep possession very well. They obviously miss Jiminez as the focal point upfront, so much of the creativity is around him, his movement and his hold up play which has caused them to suffer. With our heavy pitch at the minute it's going to be a tough game but if maddison and Barnes are firing I think we will have enough to create opportunities 

Edited by Staff
Miss type
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Staff said:

I think @TheBear would this answer better than me but I don't really see wolves changing there system for anyone. They like the having the ball and have some very good players like Neves and Moutinho who keep possession very well. They obviously miss Jiminez as the focal point upfront, so much of the creativity is around him, his movement and his hold up play which has caused them to suffer. With our heavy pitch at the minute it's going to be a tough game but if maddison and Barnes are firing I think we will have enough to create opportunities 

Yes it will be a tough game but the match is at Molineux not at King Power. Not sure how heavy their pitch is?

• Like 1

Our pitch is fine at the minute. 

Lately Nuno has been changing the system to suit who we are playing. He went back to a back 5 against Chelsea and basically parked the bus. But we switched to a 4 for Arsenal and were able to take the game to them second half. The flipside is we looked very easy to play through first half with an unusually high line making it easy for them to get in behind. Can't see us doing that again. 

I'd be leaning towards us sticking with a 4 being at home, and trying to defend better but slightly deeper. We'll be particularly wary of Vardy's pace in that regard if he starts. 

Edited by The Bear

14 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Lately Nuno has been changing the system to suit who we are playing. He went back to a back 5 against Chelsea and basically parked the bus. But we switched to a 4 for Arsenal and were able to take the game to them second half. The flipside is we looked very easy to play through first half with an unusually high line making it easy for them to get in behind. Can't see us doing that again. 

I'd be leaning towards us sticking with a 4 being at home, and trying to defend better but slightly deeper. We'll be particularly wary of Vardy's pace in that regard if he starts. 

How confident are Wolves fans on this one?

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Pretty much every game you play you defend deep, if you defended any deeper you'd be in the car park.

Edited by Haywood_6

3 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Wouldn’t be much of a surprise, they’ve been doing that for years under Nuno?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TK95 said:

Would let Iheanacho start this one again. Bring Vards from the bench later if needed. No point destroying one's confidence and cause another injury bringing the other back too quickly.

Although that seems a popular comment I’d do it the other way round ...   getting Vardy on first means we can judge exactly when he’s had enough and then bring Nacho on ...  and there will be less pressure ...   if he comes on later and we are chasing the game there will be pressure on him to run his knackers off and try and score.   I’m sure Nacho would understand and be happy to come on later and give them hell ...  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Although that seems a popular comment I’d do it the other way round ...   getting Vardy on first means we can judge exactly when he’s had enough and then bring Nacho on ...  and there will be less pressure ...   if he comes on later and we are chasing the game there will be pressure on him to run his knackers off and try and score.   I’m sure Nacho would understand and be happy to come on later and give them hell ...  

Spot on

Must have said this a hundred times on here.

If fit, you ALWAYS start your first choice striker in important games 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Vardy would never say he's had enough, and also we could be in a situation where we are losing but taking Vardy off. If he's fit enough to play 90 if needed to then I would start him. 

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

How confident are Wolves fans on this one?

Not particularly. One decent result and second half performance against Arsenal doesn't cover up  the fact we've been poor for a few weeks now, and defensively fragile on top of that. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Manley Farrington-Brown

I’m old fashioned. If Vardy ain’t fit enough to play 90 minutes then he shouldn’t be on the bench.

If he is fit enough to play 90 minutes then obviously he should start.

36 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

in 3 matches we have been a Vardy penalty away from 3 successive 0-0 draws, i'm leaning towards another 0-0 on this one, short of either a penalty or a wonder strike from either side. 

On the other hand, we have only failed to score in one out of eleven away games this year (Liverpool).