Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

Hindsight is amazing. 

Imagine if we had a prime Lineker, Worthington, and Shilton etc etc. 

The fact that they've played through the club is the marker of quality in itself. It tells a story about recruitment and organisation. 

Imagine if we HADN'T have had them. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Hindsight is amazing. 

Imagine if we had a prime Lineker, Worthington, and Shilton etc etc. 

The fact that they've played through the club is the marker of quality in itself. It tells a story about recruitment and organisation. 

Imagine if we HADN'T have had them. 

Hate to be that guy but they'd be crap by modern standards.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Shilton would still have been the dogs nuts. Lineker would still score goals - it was his only real skill and strikers are pretty much a breed a part. 

I think Worthington might have struggled a bit, but he flourished at a time when the opposition tried to take your knees off with most tackles. I think he might have got up to speed eventually. 

4 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Shilton would still have been the dogs nuts. Lineker would still score goals - it was his only real skill and strikers are pretty much a breed a part. 

I think Worthington might have struggled a bit, but he flourished at a time when the opposition tried to take your knees off with most tackles. I think he might have got up to speed eventually. 

Lineker would be running in treacle by today's standards I'm sorry. Shilton is short by modern goalkeeper standards but out of the three would be the one that would probably hold his own tbf.

17 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Quite possibly but the point I was trying to make was at the time if he had them at their very peak - there's an argument to say we did with Wortho - then we'd have been more successful. 

11 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Lineker would be running in treacle by today's standards I'm sorry. Shilton is short by modern goalkeeper standards but out of the three would be the one that would probably hold his own tbf.

Lineker ran a p.b of 10.56 seconds in the 100m. He'd still be as lethal now as he was then.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

If we're making comparisons to players that played under totally different circumstances, we've entered a new realm of utterly pointless.

Adopting this logic, it is a pointless exercise to surmise who the greatest of all time.

Pointless but fun.

Is HighPeakFox the self appointed fun police on FT I wonder?

4 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Like saying Maradona or Cruyff would be crap by modern standards lol

It's not like we've evolved into superhumans in the past 40 years

So the modern player isn't more athletic than they were 40 years ago when they were on the piss most nights? OK lol

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

So the modern player isn't more athletic than they were 40 years ago when they were on the piss most nights? OK lol

But if those players were playing today they would have modern training facilities, diets etc

The Linekar of 30 years ago with todays discipline and training would still get 25 goals a season

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Opinions and arseholes mate, we’ve all got em. Lineker would score goals, but we’ll never know so my opinion is as valid as yours tbf. 

2 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Opinions and arseholes mate, we’ve all got em. Lineker would score goals, but we’ll never know so my opinion is as valid as yours tbf. 

Lineker's skill set would be obsolete and not needed for top teams. No top level CL team would carry a goal hanger like Lineker. Great player in his day but in modern football he would either have to evolve his game or be left behind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I accept that certain types of player would not necessarily fit into the modern styles, but talent will always shine through. Those players had a natural instinct for the game and would have adapted accordingly. Just has JV has done under Rodgers system. Lineker would have scored bagfuls in the modern game. He gets tarred as a poacher, but his greatest asset was his blistering pace ( sub 11s 100m).

as for Shilton, he ousted the World Cup winning, (and arguably later, holder of the greatest ever save in a World Cup finals accolade) in Gordon banks as a teenager. Systems and styles change but class is a constant and the cream will always rise to the top.

Edited by urban fox
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Koke said:

Lineker's skill set would be obsolete and not needed for top teams. No top level CL team would carry a goal hanger like Lineker. Great player in his day but in modern football he would either have to evolve his game or be left behind.

All he does is score goals

It will never catch on..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Strokes said:

Yeah but you’re putting a past player into modern times. They would also have access to modern facilities, modern training methods and modern coaching.

They would most likely achieve similar. You can only beat what you are up against.

Thank god someone else could see this.

Ridiculous discussion. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Koke said:

Don’t believe the modesty mate. 

Lineker is England’s best striker in my lifetime-the fact that he doesn’t feel the need to tell everybody how good he was (Shearer) doesn’t mean he wasn’t.

Prime Lineker today would be prime Aguero, plus he could head the ball.

• Like 4