Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

FA Cup Semi Final vs Southampton Sunday 18th April @ 6.30 BT Sport - pre-match thread

Not necessarily what I'd do, but been thinking about this for a few days now.

Thinking about the changes that slowly happened in the West Ham game I wonder if Rodgers will try to play Castagne on the right?

I think he alluded after the game to the fact that he believes Timmy plays better there.

If he does this then I suppose it would mean either playing Ricardo on the left or higher up the pitch with maybe Albrighton on the other side .... ?

(Or I guess 3 up front with Ricardo and maybe Maddison flanking Vardy (or Vardy and Ricardo flanking Inheachio)).

I'm not suggesting these are the formations I'd go with - think they potentially cause more issues than they solve - but I notice everyone seems to have Ricardo on the right and Castagne on the left and I just have a funny feeling that might not be the case.

14 minutes ago, Richard said:

The best I’ve seen Castagne this season is on the right with Praet ahead of him

I'd go for that, and Thomas at LB.  Something I'd never have contemplated before his injury, but I'd have Riccardo on the bench. He doesn't look his usual self at RB yet - seems to be coming back very slowly from his long lay-off, and looks like a fish out of water in a wing-back role.

Castagne looks more effective at RB than Ricky at the mo, and I'd stick with Thomas at LB, then we have both CBs on their natural foot.  I think one of the problems we have had is to do with playing some of our lads out of position, disrupting the team balance and preventing them from playing to their best ability.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, deep blue said:

I'd go for that, and Thomas at LB.  Something I'd never have contemplated before his injury, but I'd have Riccardo on the bench. He doesn't look his usual self at RB yet - seems to be coming back very slowly from his long lay-off, and looks like a fish out of water in a wing-back role.

Castagne looks more effective at RB than Ricky at the mo, and I'd stick with Thomas at LB, then we have both CBs on their natural foot.  I think one of the problems we have had is to do with playing some of our lads out of position, disrupting the team balance and preventing them from playing to their best ability.

Did you watch that second halve against West ham 

I hope so RE: Castagne, if we're brutally being honest he has been distinctly average in 2021 and even in 2020 his injuries curtailed a strong start. There's a talented player in there but injuries have scuppered him and since then playing on the left has either hindered him or he's just not as good on the left as we were hoping. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

If you go with that, what's the rest of your team?

Schmeichel

Castagne, CB*, CB*, Thomas

Tielemans, Ndidi

Ricardo, Iheanacho, Albrighton

Vardy

Only problem is I can't decide who to pick at CB between Fofana, Soyuncu & Evans. Good problem to have :P.

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

Just now, Shane said:

Schmeichel

Tielemans, Ndidi

Vardy

Only problem is I can't decide who to pick at CB between Fofana, Soyuncu & Evans. Good problem to have :P.

So no Maddison? I think we'd end up with 442 if we played the personnel above as Iheanacho is not really a 10 but a second striker.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shane said:

Schmeichel

Tielemans, Ndidi

Vardy

I like this lineup.  Play positive and press high up.

• Like 1

Just now, Sunbury Fox said:

So no Maddison? I think we'd end up with 442 if we played the personnel above as Iheanacho is not really a 10 but a second striker.

Forgot Maddison was back tbf. Hmmm tough choices what is your preferred lineup? 

Right, time to stop fuchsing around, and get down to business, to get to the final and then win the FA Cup ffs!

Back to four at the back please, against this lot, with a midfield diamond, Ndidi sitting deep, Maddison in behind the strikers, with full backs bombing on.

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Evans

Soyuncu

Castagne

Ndidi

Tielemans

Praet

Maddison

Iheanacho

Vardy

strong subs bench to chose from, should it go tits up;

Ward

Fofana Amartey Thomas

Mendy Hamza

Under Albrighton

Perez

I'm going against the grain here but would stick with the 3 back against Southampton.

They are one of the few sides that play a more traditional 4-4-2.

Playing the 3 makes it easier to deal with the two up top and also allows you to have 3 man against their two in the middle of the park.

Kasper

Castagne RWB

Thomas LWB 

Fofana

Soyuncu 

Evans

Youri 

Ndidi

Perez 

Vardy

Nacho.

I'm liking the 4 4 ****ing 2 but didn't realise no room for maddison, and maybe even under on the wing now.

Strangely in my mind I have no problem with under not being long back from injury but also no problem having maddison as a sub as he's "not ready"

Who'd be a football manager eh.

Looks like we actually have a reasonably strong squad now with difficult decisions to be made. (This scares me in case we get it wrong, not used to having that kind of problem. Usually just the only fit 11)

Edit. Just read they play 4 4 2 and wou like to think man for man our quality should show.

Edited by gw_leics772

I'd stick with the side that beat Man Utd noting this was the last decent performance from us.

Kasper

Wes

Evans

Cags

Albrighton

Youri

Ndidi

Castagne

Perez

Kel

Vardy

When fit i'd swap Perez for Maddison, but given the time he's been out, doesn't seem the right time to play him given lack of game time.