Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

FA Cup Semi Final vs Southampton Sunday 18th April @ 6.30 BT Sport - pre-match thread

Kasper

Little Wes             Evans               Cags

Youri                  Wilf

Kel                     Vardy

Cast in stone as above ...   then mix and match ..   most lightly first  ....   Albrighton,  Ricardo,  Timmy,  Perez/Maddison.

If not starting the last 2 used as impact subs and Thomas if the shape needs changing ...  

We've got loads of talent and a lot more quality than Southampton, the league position shows that but, i think this'll come down to who wants it more, who's the more aggressive, which team is prepared to push themselves the most. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foxfan92 said:

Not necessarily what I'd do, but been thinking about this for a few days now.

Thinking about the changes that slowly happened in the West Ham game I wonder if Rodgers will try to play Castagne on the right?

I think he alluded after the game to the fact that he believes Timmy plays better there.

If he does this then I suppose it would mean either playing Ricardo on the left or higher up the pitch with maybe Albrighton on the other side .... ?

(Or I guess 3 up front with Ricardo and maybe Maddison flanking Vardy (or Vardy and Ricardo flanking Inheachio)).

I'm not suggesting these are the formations I'd go with - think they potentially cause more issues than they solve - but I notice everyone seems to have Ricardo on the right and Castagne on the left and I just have a funny feeling that might not be the case.

...it has been obvious for some time that Castagne is more comfortable on the right!!!

Some things are picked up earlier than Rodgers, he tends to be late to the party on more than one occasion.

Due to our injury problems he is however limited in the personnel he can choose from and his hands are more or less tied regarding formations.

Castagne came here to get away from the chopping and changing of positions he was asked to do and so will not be too pleased with repeating the process here.

Whatever we do, play with a high tempo and get bodies forwards. I'm fed up of slow starts playing walking pace football and having to rely on Nacho or Tielemans bailing us out with a bit of quality.

Let's actually get bodies forwards and start creating some proper chances.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Whatever we do, play with a high tempo and get bodies forwards. I'm fed up of slow starts playing walking pace football and having to rely on Nacho or Tielemans bailing us out with a bit of quality.

Let's actually get bodies forwards and start creating some proper chances.

Games at Wembley are usual played at a frantic pace due to the crowd. Hopefully the lack of actual fans won't mean we start slow yet again. 

17 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Kasper

Cags

Evans

Fofana

Ricardo

Ndidi

Youri

Castagne

Madders

Vardy

Kelch.

I imagine this is how we will shape up. 

tend to agree. However would like to see Albrighton on the pitch. Many have noted that we need to be up for the fight in this one, and nobody epitomises that more than Sharky.

I would start him at RWB, or if Madders not fully match fit, on the right as part of a front three with JV and Kel. At least we have lots of options now to be able to switch things around, both personnel and formation wise, especially with the extra subs in the FA cup.

Edited by urban fox

13:55JORDAN BLACKWELL
History of the FA Cup?
“I’m fully aware. I’m relaxed about it, but motivated. I know they want to win the FA Cup. I’m looking forward to seeing us play. Hopefully we can do it for the supporters. I’ve been made aware of the history, losing four finals. That gives me a greater motivation to help the team achieve that.”

13:54JORDAN BLACKWELL
Naive to consider yourself favourites?
“It’s a game that is always close. They’re a very good side. Both teams lost their last games before coming into this. We know if we play to a high level, we have a good chance. Our focus is on ourselves.”

Maddison damaged England chances?
“I’m not picking the England squad. I’m only concerned with what we do here.”

13:49JORDAN BLACKWELL
Maddison?
“He was very remorseful. He’s a young player who has made a mistake. He has held his hand up. He didn’t hide from it. He was bitterly disappointed to let his team-mates down.”

Learning from Villa semi-final?
“That’s what failure brings if you work the process well. You have to see it as learning. You have to go down that road to be successful. The players showed that they can respond. You can never guarantee anything even if your squad is brimming with talent. It’s always a difficult game.”

Big occasion?
“You don’t need to magnify it anymore than what it is. The magnitude of the game is clear. You don’t need to shine a torch on it any more. Ability to have self control is important, especially when you are under pressure. We want to arrive in the final but we can only do that by performing well. If you get too nervous, it can immobilise you. You don’t overdo the week, you give clarity to the team. We can control what we do and if we can play to a high level, we will have a good chance.”

13:48JORDAN BLACKWELL
Make a difference on the pitch?
“That’s what they are determined to do. These guys have made a great contribution to us. We are in the position we are because of them. There will be a choice again, and hopefully they will make a better choice. It’s in the past now. It’s about their actions on the field now.”

No direct apology from them?
“The club have done it. The players were bitterly disappointed. They knew they overstepped the mark. I can’t answer that. What I know is that in the working of our team, they gave that apology to me and the rest of their team-mates. We all make mistakes. They were punished for it. We have to move on. We suffered for it, they suffered for it. It’s a really exciting period and they are available. They know they have to focus for the rest of the season.”

Axed players return?
“It was always going to be the case. We dealt with it last week when they trained separately. We had a meeting at the beginning of this week. We accepted their apology. They were sincere, they knew they made a mistake. There was a real good energy in the squad. This could galvanise us.”

13:47JORDAN BLACKWELL
Soyuncu?
“He’s absolutely fine. He’s looked terrific in training this week.”

Under and Barnes fit?
“Cengo will be available. He’s trained with the squad this week. Harvey, no, he’s still a number of weeks away. We’re hoping he can get out onto the field in the next couple of weeks.”

13:31JORDAN BLACKWELL
Rodgers has arrived
The City boss has taken his seat.

Updates will come through in around 20-25 minutes time.

13:13JORDAN BLACKWELL
Good afternoon!
Hello and thanks for joining us.

We're expecting Brendan Rodgers to be sitting down from 1.30pm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, davieG said:

13:55JORDAN BLACKWELL
History of the FA Cup?
“I’m fully aware. I’m relaxed about it, but motivated. I know they want to win the FA Cup. I’m looking forward to seeing us play. Hopefully we can do it for the supporters. I’ve been made aware of the history, losing four finals. That gives me a greater motivation to help the team achieve that.”

Naive to consider yourself favourites?
“It’s a game that is always close. They’re a very good side. Both teams lost their last games before coming into this. We know if we play to a high level, we have a good chance. Our focus is on ourselves.”

Maddison damaged England chances?
“I’m not picking the England squad. I’m only concerned with what we do here.”

Maddison?
“He was very remorseful. He’s a young player who has made a mistake. He has held his hand up. He didn’t hide from it. He was bitterly disappointed to let his team-mates down.”

Learning from Villa semi-final?
“That’s what failure brings if you work the process well. You have to see it as learning. You have to go down that road to be successful. The players showed that they can respond. You can never guarantee anything even if your squad is brimming with talent. It’s always a difficult game.”

Big occasion?
“You don’t need to magnify it anymore than what it is. The magnitude of the game is clear. You don’t need to shine a torch on it any more. Ability to have self control is important, especially when you are under pressure. We want to arrive in the final but we can only do that by performing well. If you get too nervous, it can immobilise you. You don’t overdo the week, you give clarity to the team. We can control what we do and if we can play to a high level, we will have a good chance.”

Make a difference on the pitch?
“That’s what they are determined to do. These guys have made a great contribution to us. We are in the position we are because of them. There will be a choice again, and hopefully they will make a better choice. It’s in the past now. It’s about their actions on the field now.”

No direct apology from them?
“The club have done it. The players were bitterly disappointed. They knew they overstepped the mark. I can’t answer that. What I know is that in the working of our team, they gave that apology to me and the rest of their team-mates. We all make mistakes. They were punished for it. We have to move on. We suffered for it, they suffered for it. It’s a really exciting period and they are available. They know they have to focus for the rest of the season.”

Axed players return?
“It was always going to be the case. We dealt with it last week when they trained separately. We had a meeting at the beginning of this week. We accepted their apology. They were sincere, they knew they made a mistake. There was a real good energy in the squad. This could galvanise us.”

Soyuncu?
“He’s absolutely fine. He’s looked terrific in training this week.”

Under and Barnes fit?
“Cengo will be available. He’s trained with the squad this week. Harvey, no, he’s still a number of weeks away. We’re hoping he can get out onto the field in the next couple of weeks.”

13:31JORDAN BLACKWELL
Rodgers has arrived
The City boss has taken his seat.

Updates will come through in around 20-25 minutes time.

13:13JORDAN BLACKWELL
Good afternoon!
Hello and thanks for joining us.

We're expecting Brendan Rodgers to be sitting down from 1.30pm.

I read this the wrong way up and as if Rodgers was standing up, answered the questions then took his seat lol

I think the team (in particular those 3 from last week) will be determined/fired up to perform. Fingers crossed we can come out all guns firing and look comfortable by HT. Of course, we may be expecting too much.

Also seems like 99% of posters in this thread have come to the same conclusion of starting XI. Nailed on from Brendan then...

• Like 1