Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

FA Cup Semi Final vs Southampton Sunday 18th April @ 6.30 BT Sport - pre-match thread

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I think the team (in particular those 3 from last week) will be determined/fired up to perform. Fingers crossed we can come out all guns firing and look comfortable by HT. Of course, we may be expecting too much.

Also seems like 99% of posters in this thread have come to the same conclusion of starting XI. Nailed on from Brendan then...

Things that are nailed on aren't as secure as those that are screwed on.

Dunno about anyone else, but I'm currently suffering from a rare condition known as fivefacupfinaldefeatsophobia.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Shane said:

Forgot Maddison was back tbf. Hmmm tough choices what is your preferred lineup? 

Think I'd play 352 with Maddison in for Praet and Cags for Big Dan. Don't generally like 3 at the back but we just don't have good enough wide options at the moment to play a 4231.

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Would you rather we win 10-0 on Sunday or in the league game in a few weeks?

I will take a 1-0 on Sunday and a 9-0 in a few weeks, seems fairly probable in fact.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 16/04/2021 at 13:33, sacreblueits442 said:

...it has been obvious for some time that Castagne is more comfortable on the right!!!

Some things are picked up earlier than Rodgers, he tends to be late to the party on more than one occasion.

Due to our injury problems he is however limited in the personnel he can choose from and his hands are more or less tied regarding formations.

Castagne came here to get away from the chopping and changing of positions he was asked to do and so will not be too pleased with repeating the process here.

Maybe Rodgers decisions are better than yours, on which players he prefer to See in what positions,

and in this injury/ compressed season we are experiencing, feels it right  to listen to his own instincts,

on where he might Experiment & tinker,

than wait for your opinions to appear,before he makes his descisions...:P

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The biggest game in some of these player's careers to date. Can we handle the mental pressure? Will the few fans in the ground make a difference?

The last two matches don't give me much reason to think we have improved our handling of the pressure in the games that really matter though the last round against United was much better.

I'm expecting us to be nervous and cagey and likely to concede the first goal. In some ways they have nothing to lose. They won't be the favourites and they won't be relegated so they can just really go for this with, in some ways, a lot less pressure.

To me it is all about whether we can cope mentally with the occasion. If we can we might win a close game. If not we'll be 2 or 3 down before we start playing, like last week, with no way back.

1 hour ago, reynard said:

The biggest game in some of these player's careers to date. Can we handle the mental pressure? Will the few fans in the ground make a difference?

Who knows... none of them will be ours, it’ll just be the locals!!

I really do hope we win this one. There’s a couple of lads who are likely to play who owe us a performance. Also, when we’ve had a high pressure game in the last couple of seasons we’ve struggled. Great performances against Man City (A), Man Utd and Liverpool this season make me think we could cope. But that’s offset by several first half performances this season, especially against West Ham last weekend.

We’d best be up for this from the start, as you’ll bet your bottom dollar that Southampton will be.

Edited by car1os

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Would you rather we win 10-0 on Sunday or in the league game in a few weeks?

We need a win just to get back on track. Perhaps a win on Sunday will galvanise the lads and we can go on a mad run winning all of our remaining games........  

1 hour ago, reynard said:

The last two matches don't give me much reason to think we have improved our handling of the pressure in the games that really matter though the last round against United was much better.

I'm expecting us to be nervous and cagey and likely to concede the first goal. In some ways they have nothing to lose. They won't be the favourites and they won't be relegated so they can just really go for this with, in some ways, a lot less pressure.

To me it is all about whether we can cope mentally with the occasion. If we can we might win a close game. If not we'll be 2 or 3 down before we start playing, like last week, with no way back.

I disagree, United last season was the biggest game of most of these lads careers. No matter how much clubs like our love the FA cup, we can’t sugar coat it’s relevance has diminished massively over the years. If you want to be anyone, you need to be in Europe, preferably the CL. And with the new coefficient rules coming in and new format, it is imperative that we start actually backing up our ambitions. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Think I'd play 352 with Maddison in for Praet and Cags for Big Dan. Don't generally like 3 at the back but we just don't have good enough wide options at the moment to play a 4231.

We could start with Albrighton and Under or Perez wide and just one of Vardy and Iheanacho.  There are options.  However, it is hard to see anything other than Vardy and Iheanacho starting which makes five at the back more likely.   Fofana pushes forward a lot for a centre back. 

2 hours ago, reynard said:

They won't be fans, just some random bods from Brent.  Most of the noise will come from  the anti -vax knuckle draggers protesting outside the stadium.

Edited by PaulW
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

We need a win just to get back on track. Perhaps a win on Sunday will galvanise the lads and we can go on a mad run winning all of our remaining games........  

Although this is a simplistic view, the way I see it is in order to us having any chance of success this season we have to get 10 points minimum from our next 4 league games and if we do that then the momentum we will have built up will mean we can beat anyone as already proven this season. Therefore get through tomorrow and the dream is still on.

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

My test is at midday .......... one more hurdle to get through (actually two cos my son could get test positive !) 

My ticket says ‘no colours’ btw .......

Just wear a jacket and when City score go apeshit :scarf:

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

My test is at midday .......... one more hurdle to get through (actually two cos my son could get test positive !) 

My ticket says ‘no colours’ btw .......

We're relying on you to make that extra 0.1% difference that could get us over the line. :scarf:

1 minute ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

We're relying on you to make that extra 0.1% difference that could get us over the line. :scarf:

I’m superstitious so practicing my miserable face to catch the cameraman !

I keep reminding myself that if we do make it through I will want to try to get the same offer next month so I have to behave ....... I can go apeshit in May when it really matters !!!!!

• Like 3