Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

England's FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Euro Qualifiers.

Oh well... Poland didn't have stones to score another one.

Still 1-2 is far from the battering I was expecting... This England team could benefit greatly from having certain Madders in it instead of either of Fodden, Mount or Rice. None of this bunch has his vision, passing or free kick taking ability.

Wins a win innit. Already qualified for this World Cup. People moaning for the sake of moaning. I could understand if this was a performance against San Marino. Poland set up only a tiny bit less negative than our previous two opponents with players that are head and shoulders better than those two sides. An individual mistake has made the game pan out any harder than it should’ve been. We were in absolute cruise control for the first 60 minutes. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

No chance. Southgate will definitely not pick Grealish or Maddison. Lingard has more chance of starting, given he has "tournament experience".

Southgate knows his starting 11 for the first game of the Euros. Mount is absolutely nailed on to start. 

• Sad 1

Yeah England get a bit too much stick in my opinion. Cracking strike from Maguire and it was key to not drop points tonight. Germany have just lost to Macedonia.

People pretending they want us to lose, when they’d be furious if they missed out on the World Cup.

I’m apathetic about qualifiers, but I think a lot stems from Leicester. When we were shit, it used to be a welcome break to watch some good players. Of course it’s tedious these days, but England are doing ok. 

The football England play  under Southgate is shite he normally plays 2 or 3 lumbering Centre backs with 2 holding midfielder against shite football teams. If we come up against any decent sides with these tactics we will get smashed. 

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

With the injuries to others, this could potentially have been a big international opportunity for Barnes/Maddison if Southgate dared pick them. 

Even if fit they'd have been unused subs except for getting maybe 10 minutes against San Marino.

Edited by Sunbury Fox

England are a team that will win 90% minimum of their qualifying games usually, the tournaments are often a lottery depending on form, draws etc. The most entertaining games under Southgate were those Nations League games against Spain and Croatia.

These matches will invariably be dull as England don't play a better or equal side in them so it'll be a stroll or a slog.

15 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Yeah England get a bit too much stick in my opinion. Cracking strike from Maguire and it was key to not drop points tonight. Germany have just lost to Macedonia.

People pretending they want us to lose, when they’d be furious if they missed out on the World Cup.

I’m apathetic about qualifiers, but I think a lot stems from Leicester. When we were shit, it used to be a welcome break to watch some good players. Of course it’s tedious these days, but England are doing ok. 

Mate it’s just embarrassing. Some people just aren’t happy unless they’re moaning. I couldn’t care if we’d have been terrible and won 1-0 or amazing and won 6-0. You get the same amount of points for either outcome. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Qualification isn’t an achievement, so anything but a semi final this summer he should go. Certainly need some big results from him. 

It's not an achievement for the fans but it is for the FA'S performance protocol. Managers only ever get the sack for under performing due to wither non qualification or an embarrassing early exit from a tournament and usually that's forgiven and only not tolerated by them on the 2nd occasion (Hodgson)

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

It's not an achievement for the fans but it is for the FA'S performance protocol. Managers only ever get the sack for under performing due to wither non qualification or an embarrassing early exit from a tournament and usually that's forgiven and only not tolerated by them on the 2nd occasion (Hodgson)

England managers don't get sacked, either. Can only think of Hoddle (comments rather than results) and McClaren in the last 25 years.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Corky said:

England managers don't get sacked, either. Can only think of Hoddle (comments rather than results) and McClaren in the last 25 years.

Allardyce for non footballing reasons too.

Hodgson would have been sacked but opted to walk. But yeah, the FA have an absolute disgrace.

• Like 1

I really just do not rate Southgate. I don’t get all the love for him that you hear in the press and on the radio.

I think he is a boring, England ‘yes’ man.

I really am not sure what the selection criteria is at times, and he certainly has his favourites.

We got so so lucky in the World Cup - we were not in the top 4 teams in the world at that time.

Will I be cheering England on in the Finals? Of course I will.  
Do I enjoy watching them play? God no - awful to watch on the whole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I wonder how bad it has to get for Southgate to be binned. It'll solely be on results and not performances so qualifying for Qatar will see him stay for at least another few years. Just horrible.

Group stage elimination in the Euros.

They'll go for Howe.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Oh well... Poland didn't have stones to score another one.

Still 1-2 is far from the battering I was expecting... This England team could benefit greatly from having certain Madders in it instead of either of Fodden, Mount or Rice. None of this bunch has his vision, passing or free kick taking ability.

Maddies free kick taking ability??? 😂

Leicester fans and England fans. Horrendous mix of fickle nonsensical opinions. Leicester supporting Englishmen, even worse lol you just wait to the reaction on Foxestalk when Albrighton and Matty James aren’t starting for us first game of the euros. 

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

England are doing ok

This in my opinion is the problem with the players Southgate has to choose from England should be doing much better than ok. It really annoys me to see Southgate picking players from who they play for rather than ability.

I think Southgate only knows one way to play and is trying to fit the players to this style rather than the formation to get the best out of the players. 

it’s like when you here the pundits say the reason Maddison, grealish might struggle to get into the England team is that they don’t play with a no. 10 when in reality that’s where some of our strongest players are so we really should be but Southgate doesn’t seem to realise this.

Also during games if things don’t seem to go to plan Southgate never seems to have a plan B

5 hours ago, Big Dave said:

I really just do not rate Southgate. I don’t get all the love for him that you hear in the press and on the radio.

I think he is a boring, England ‘yes’ man.

I really am not sure what the selection criteria is at times, and he certainly has his favourites.

We got so so lucky in the World Cup - we were not in the top 4 teams in the world at that time.

Will I be cheering England on in the Finals? Of course I will.  
Do I enjoy watching them play? God no - awful to watch on the whole.

Being a “yes man” > management and tactical ability 

7 hours ago, nettle said:

The football England play  under Southgate is shite he normally plays 2 or 3 lumbering Centre backs with 2 holding midfielder against shite football teams. If we come up against any decent sides with these tactics we will get smashed. 

I know Maguire gets loads of stick on here but him and Stones are the two best English CBs. They both started last night and they're both ball playing centre backs.  Not sure England can expect much more in that area with the players available to be fair.

• Like 1

I'm not his biggest fan, but Southgate gets way too much stick. Yeah, the football isn't breathtaking, but that's hard to get when you don't have the players for long. There aren't many international sides that play really attractive football.

He's had one major tournament and got to a semi-final, that's pretty good in my eyes. He will have the Euros and the next World Cup regardless of results, and then after that we will see where we are. 

I think yesterday we saw 90% of the starting line up for the Euros with Pope and Phillips probably missing out.

1 hour ago, LVocey said:

I'm not his biggest fan, but Southgate gets way too much stick. Yeah, the football isn't breathtaking, but that's hard to get when you don't have the players for long. There aren't many international sides that play really attractive football.

He's had one major tournament and got to a semi-final, that's pretty good in my eyes. He will have the Euros and the next World Cup regardless of results, and then after that we will see where we are. 

I think yesterday we saw 90% of the starting line up for the Euros with Pope and Phillips probably missing out.

I think the COVID situation too, and the amount of games the players are being asked to play has impacted a lot of international sides. 3 wins from 3 is decent. I’m sure Germany and the like wouldn’t mind that. We will see how Southgate gets on at the euros. 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

12 hours ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

England are doing ok

This in my opinion is the problem with the players Southgate has to choose from England should be doing much better than ok. It really annoys me to see Southgate picking players from who they play for rather than ability.

I think Southgate only knows one way to play and is trying to fit the players to this style rather than the formation to get the best out of the players. 

it’s like when you here the pundits say the reason Maddison, grealish might struggle to get into the England team is that they don’t play with a no. 10 when in reality that’s where some of our strongest players are so we really should be but Southgate doesn’t seem to realise this.

Also during games if things don’t seem to go to plan Southgate never seems to have a plan B

Absolutely. There's a lot of things about England that annoy me, but people slag them off like it's going out of fashion. That's until there's a tournament and they're mad England fans again.

56 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Absolutely. There's a lot of things about England that annoy me, but people slag them off like it's going out of fashion. That's until there's a tournament and they're mad England fans again.

I used to be like that, then just decided to stop watching them unless it's a tournament game. I find myself getting much less annoyed and it's much better all round :D

I'll watch us under a manager that plays entertaining football but there's not point watching us play crap teams and limp to a victory playing walking football. Nobody can enjoy that.

• Like 1