Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

New Champions League format from 2024

With the 6 saying that they'll stay in the Premier League alongside the new one, let's pretend we're going with that for a moment, OK there's the title to play for for one of them, the other five don't need to worry about their finishing place whilst the non big six apart from trying to win the trophy are playing for what, qualification for a z-rate version of the UEFA Cup and avoid relegation of course? Will the six build squads so big that they don't register their best players for the Premier League and play a virtual B-team squad? Do they have any intention of playing in the F.A. and League / Carabao Cups? 

They are brand names guaranteeing their income, so my instinct was to look to try to affect that income, if the TV companies stand firm and boycott it and the viewing neutrals in the UK boycott making any demand for it....but that's not enough, it's a world game to be broadcast all over, someone will pick it up, broadcast it and take subscriptions. When the Chinese league went big did any of us give a f*** for the domestic Chinese game, any grass roots, longevity, sustainability etc? That will be the attitude in reverse. Yes our grass roots and pyramid structure is infinitely more grounded in our history than domestic Chinese football would be in China but this is Pepsi vs Cola. Adidas vs Nike, Blockbuster and hype, you watch from your lounge on the other side of the world, the top players, it'll be the most famous brand name clubs, you don't give a damn whether the locals have a ticket or any community connection or how the clubs got to be there.

Owners have bought these clubs and may be willing to remove them from domestic football altogether (whilst making it appear to be more the Premier Leagues decision to remove them). I would be interested to see if there is any split amongst fans of any of the 6, it was their club, their history, taken away from them, but what do you to, an FC United scenario? What would we be feeling if we found out we were a 7th club to sign up (and that's of course no comment of Tops exemplary conduct, of course he wouldn't) but what would be feel? 

Sky's reporting on this is, I believe a genuine reaction to very big news but ironically as the dust settles in the coming hours and days, their position on it - they have a deal to show Premier League Football and flog subscriptions and advertising slots on the back of that, their baby, their asset, what exactly will it be, how will it affect them?

Also, the German and French position, is it that they haven't signed to be a founder member but possibly would join as a qualified / invited club if they finish in the top 1-2 places in their domestic leagues or is it an outright no?

So many angles you need the Karma Sutra!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrickyTrev Benjamin said:

Wait till the statement comes out is all I’m saying but Leicester could win the cup without playing the final and Leicester and West Ham will be playing for the title. 

Who's the statement from? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TrickyTrev Benjamin said:

Wait till the statement comes out is all I’m saying but Leicester could win the cup without playing the final and Leicester and West Ham will be playing for the title. 

Fvck off lol 

Just now, Vacamion said:

Where you hearing this, Trev? 

Someone who knows certain business things about the club. I’m guessing it’s all up in the air atm but knowing what he’s told me about the club and how’s it run. I’m guessing Leicester are furious hence Rodgers side step the question. If Chelsea are part of this, the FA will definitely make a example out of them and the rest of the top 6.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TrickyTrev Benjamin said:

The impending statement is from the breakaway clubs isn't it?

They're hardly going to ban themselves from their current league and domestic cups are they. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, adam said:

****ing tottenham though. Fuming with how they have the cheek to even apply for it. Forest are more deserving than those toss pots 

They qualify by virtue of their impressive Cheese room, able to accommodate the favorite cheeses of visiting French and Dutch...oh hang on

The other thing with a closed shop is the boring nature of the games. I watch a bit of AFL where we have 18 teams, no promotion or relegation. 
The teams play each other with the top 8 playing for a finals shot, culminating in a Grand Final which is great, but 5 games into a 22 game season and at least 5 clubs already have nothing to play for, as the season moves on more and more quickly realise they won’t make finals and can’t even relegated, or teams know they’ve made finals and start resting players. Every round of games there are more and more pointless games, no one is interested in, no one wants to attend and no one wants to watch on TV. It’s crap every year other than for 3 or 4 clubs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

They're hardly going to ban themselves from their current league and domestic cups are they. 

They might literally ban themselves, condemned by their own words. If they push for it the FA will have no option but to react. 

Just now, Izzy said:

Depends how the FA react, I can genuinely see the FA going nuclear on this and UEFA. Leicester as a club will definitely see this through some sort of legal action. The club where already angry about Man City champions league ban being lifted. This will be the tip of the iceberg. 

4 hours ago, whetstonefox said:

These teams have threatened to do this for years, for them to actually sign a contract to join a another league (can’t call it a super league with no Bayern Munich but Arsenal and Spurs) would be crossing the rubicon.

Big step to take that will change football massively. From our point of view we could look to be among the best of the rest but long term the super league will be dull and the top domestic leagues will not feel right without the big clubs. How much joy would we really take from winning a non big 6 premier league. I’m sure we’d love it in a lot of respects but you’d never in a million years be able to compare it to 2016 when we could say we was the best team in England.

Can only play who you play.  Those clubs cease to be English clubs if they join Super League.  Therefore any champion of a "diluted" PL is still the best team in England.  I think the though process of "nobody would care about the PL anymore" / "winning it wouldn't mean anything" are the kind of thoughts that the people behind this are counting on.

The only play here from the PL / FA / UEFA / FIFA etc is to call their bluff - whether it's a bluff or not - and tell them to **** off.  Have fun starting at the bottom in 2-3 years when you want to come back.  I am very pessimistic they will take this approach and that they'll bend the knee, but the initial statement from today is reassuring a bit.   We often talk about how if a player doesn't want to be at Leicester, it's not worth it and to let them walk.  This is the same concept.  If these clubs really want to be in a Super League, you can't wilt to their demands, because it's fine now, but they'll be back next year and the year after for more.  And eventually they'll leave anyway, even after years of concessions.  

I wouldn't even wait at this point.  I would love to see the FA / PL come out tomorrow and kick out the teams from the domestic competitions immediately.  Even plotting this has to be against some kind of rules.  There is no chance this works without Bayern and PSG IMO, and that in itself is pretty conclusive evidence they are using this as a smokescreen to get the wildcard CL proposal through.  

Call me crazy, but I would absolutely LOVE to see a Champions League without these 12 teams in it.  Would be a lot of fun.  

• Like 1

I do think it's the clubs holding a gun to the head of the Champions League before tomorrows CL reform announcement, "If we don't get our way we'll throw out our toys...and this is what it would look like" but then again would this investment bank spend so much time on the project not noticing they're being used? So maybe it's not?