Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

New Champions League format from 2024

The timing is almost impecable.  In the midst of a global pandemic, where there is massive uncertainty over long term jobs of a huge number of the population, the football elitist decide to make the rich richer and the poor just swept aside.  It's quite clear we are heading for a 2 class system.  The mega rich and the rest of us!

It's almost like everything that's going on at the minute has been planned for a long time.

Edited by pazzerfox
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Should be like in Rugby (not sure if it still is) where if you don't play in the English league, you can't get picked for the national team.

Agreed sadly will these players care, I mean we have the battle of club v country and if the club offers more than his country then more than likely the player will choose the club. Greed! 

Any footballer as well who goes ahead with this should 666 written on their head. Specially the lads that have worked there way up from non league to the premier league.

One of the best defensive displays (minus a few stupid Soyuncu tackles) ive seen in a long time. Certainly the most dominant ive seen our players in the air this season, even looked dangerous attacking corners 😂. Shoutout to Vardy aswell, dont know whether it was from having an edge from having fans back or not but he looked very sharp. Fingers crossed he can carry it on and bag against West Brom on thurs! 

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Leicesterpool said:

Agreed sadly will these players care, I mean we have the battle of club v country and if the club offers more than his country then more than likely the player will choose the club. Greed! 

Any footballer as well who goes ahead with this should 666 written on their head. Specially the lads that have worked there way up from non league to the premier league.

Genuinely pissing myself at the image of Kevin De Bruyne waltzing around the Etihad with 666 on his forehead 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These “big” clubs are missing the point. Fans generally don’t watch games because they want to see Ronaldos vs Messi’s that play for other clubs week in week out. They watch games because they follow their clubs, want their clubs to do well and climb up the ladder or not be relegated, want unpredictability as that brings excitement, want to see clubs grow or destruct, etc. These big clubs will not get the viewership they think they will get with this. Apart from fans from their own clubs (some may get turned off as well), not many would watch them after the first few seasons. Their justification may be that they want to protect their investment if they spend so much money - well buying success like Man City and Chelsea had over the years had already destroyed a bit of the game and made football less interesting generally. “Buying” success at this grand level by breaking away would make it even less interesting. Boring.

2 minutes ago, mohammedsaqib said:

Is it just me that thinks this is a smokescreen to make the horrible new Champions League format a bit more palatable and the lesser of two evils? 

Yep I think you’re right. The timing is just too perfect to be a coincidence 

This time tomorrow the shite new CL plan will be approved and it’ll be heralded as a success for football 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, bmt said:

I don't really agree with docking points. What they should do is enforce new ownership structures on those clubs, they aren't fit or proper owners anymore and that is evident.

Personally I tended to agree with Labour back during Corbyn who wanted fans (elected supporter representation) on the boards of clubs. It's not just these possible break away clubs that could do with a new change in how clubs are run. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, walkerleeds said:

This is blatantly all it is. It really is too ridiculous to be true.

Yes they’re likely to announce tomorrow that in light of the brilliant new CL format they’ve changed their minds. Everyone sighs in relief and the hideous, bent and fraudulent CL changes slide in like a puddle of shite under the toilet door. 

7 minutes ago, mohammedsaqib said:

Is it just me that thinks this is a smokescreen to make the horrible new Champions League format a bit more palatable and the lesser of two evils? 

This. There is no way the full on breakaway will happen

But compared to this, the "new" CL format with the big club "guaranteed" a place even if they have shit season will be voted through as the lesser of the two evils

Either way, football has eaten itself

14 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

UEFA and FIFA are going to clamp down hard on the clubs and players involved, credit to the German and French clubs having nothing to do with it.

I hope they actually do, and it's not just lip service.

Some players' agents are about to get very, very busy. I can't imagine all players of these clubs involved are happy about these plans...

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Wahahahahahahaaaaa Southgate is going to have to pick Maddison and Barnes, suck your fcukin mum

First question in the interview about this. His answer?

'it's a great shame we can't pick Mason Mount...'

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mohammedsaqib said:

For sure, the Swiss Model is ass, it’s just not as ass as this proposal. So we should be thankful....right?  :huh:

12 minutes ago, mohammedsaqib said:

This is 100% what I think. Not the first time this tactic has been used

A closed shop is the absolute worst idea in sport. Could you imagine the exact same 20 teams in the Premier League every season? Sheffield United getting another go after this one? Derby in 2008? Us in 2002?

Every competition thrives on intrigue and variety. Somebody new, somebody different doing something remarkable.

The best thing about this Super League idea is that several of the teams signed up are well off the pace in their own leagues. Hardly the absolute elite, is it?

• Like 3