Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

9 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Arsenal is still historically a big club.  They still have money.  It’s a place where Tielemans is unlikely to struggle for regular starts as he might at one of the mega clubs.  People dismissing the chance of this happening are kidding themselves - it’s perfectly realistic.

Is it though? What would he really gain? Champions League football, occasionally, maybe, only to be knocked out in the group stage or first knock out round. I know he has to go, but Arsenal would be a major disappointment.  I'd be surprised, but I accept it isn't impossible.

53 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Is it though? What would he really gain? Champions League football, occasionally, maybe, only to be knocked out in the group stage or first knock out round. I know he has to go, but Arsenal would be a major disappointment.  I'd be surprised, but I accept it isn't impossible.

More money. Much more 

In many respects we've been lucky to have him, and him doing a 2 (1/2) year stint and moving onto a hopefully much bigger club for a realistic fee will help us bring in similar talent in future without then fearing we will block their progress.  Its important I think we are seen as a club which can be a stepping stone for players on their way to the top, because we are pretty clearly not up there ourselves.

Edited by Jon the Hat

1 hour ago, s11nny said:

More money. Much more 

Showed when he signed for us in the first place he isn’t going to just chase the money when he could’ve waited it out like his agent wanted for a potential move to Man Utd, he is a smart one in that he will do what he sees as best for his professional career

Although it didn’t go well in the end he made the same decision when going to Monaco instead of just going to one of the “big boys” straight away

• Like 1

7 hours ago, s11nny said:

More money. Much more 

He could do that by playing in China. Doesn't mean he should.

I just don't see Arsenal as an worthwhile step up for him and I'd be surprised if he does. That doesn't mean I'm right of course.

In reality, money is likely all he'd gain and that's not usually enough for top footballers, they want to win too. How much would he increase his chances of winning the Premier League or Champions League by leaving Leicester City and signing for Arsenal? I'd honestly argue it's zero. 

FA Cups? He's been there and done that, and we're as likely to win that in the near future as Arsenal are.

I'd be very disappointed if he went to the Gunners, I think he's better than that and I think a better club will come in for him.

All personal opinion of course.

Edited by Duquesne Whistle
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Arsenal is still historically a big club.  They still have money.  It’s a place where Tielemans is unlikely to struggle for regular starts as he might at one of the mega clubs.  People dismissing the chance of this happening are kidding themselves - it’s perfectly realistic.

He’s never winning a league title there or a Champions League medal, let’s be honest. Yes it’s a step up moving to Arsenal but surely he would want to be playing at the very top level and competing for titles.

Guest BlueBrett

Not usually one for hating on players who move on, never even gave Mahrez any shit, but if Youri Tielemans leaves us for Arsenal I'll put a ****ing curse on him

50 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

He’s never winning a league title there or a Champions League medal, let’s be honest. Yes it’s a step up moving to Arsenal but surely he would want to be playing at the very top level and competing for titles.

Spurs reached the CL final a couple of years ago. If they can do it, Arsenal can. They are a very powerful club but definitely not right for Tielemans. I still think moving to Italy is the best move for him. His style of playmaker is a tradition there.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

Things can change quickly.  No one can say for sure Arsenal won't be a serious player for big titles in 2-3 years, never mind 5.  It could happen.

The larger issue, though, is that Tielemans is going to want to be a locked-in first team player and on the clubs clearly bigger than Arsenal I don't think that's going to happen.  Not all of them will want him in the first place - it's not like he can pick and choose.  And he's not going to walk into Man City or Bayern and be part of the default eleven.  He's very, very good, but he's not elite enough to write his own ticket.

2 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Romano is suggesting Arsenal are focused on Arthur Melo from Juventus, so the Tielemans rumours might be to help force through that transfer. 

Think Arthur is just a loan until the end of the season. Youri is more of a long term target is how I read it 

9 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

Think Arthur is just a loan until the end of the season. Youri is more of a long term target is how I read it 

Tielemans isn't going anywhere near them unless they qualify for the champions league at a minimum and even then, if he's got any sense, he's looking at the state of the league and questioning how long they can really sustain being top four. 

It's far too easy to see United's struggles, laugh and think they're in a mess. For me, they're currently going through the essential first stage of sorting themselves out and that's getting rid of dead wood. It's why so many of the squad are upset. If they're going to actually start building properly then they'll blow Arsenal out of the water, they've got far more resources.

Given that Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool are going to be staples of the top 4 for the foreseeable future it doesn't really leave much room at the party for the North London clubs with their current ownerships. They just don't have the resources. 

If Arsenal do creep in to 4th this year it'll be a flash in the pan and they'll be back in to the Europa League wilderness again come 22/23.

If a major CL semi finalist doesn't come in for YT this summer, if I were him I'd almost be tempted to sign a contract extension with a release clause and wait to see what interest he can drum up at the world cup. 

• Like 4

The trouble is that when we compare ourselves to a team like Arsenal we can’t help looking through blue coloured spectacles. In the short term Arsenal look no more capable of winning cups than we do (they’re out of the FA Cup and not in Europe), but in the medium to long term that might not be the case.

It’s a vicious circle. Leicester fail to get Champions League football so the best players leave. Then they fail to get Champions League football because the squad isn’t good enough. That’s the real legacy of our collapse in the last two seasons. Without it (CL) our revenue is still nowhere near Arsenal’s, which is literally more than twice what ours is.

Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd all look poor short term options, but you have to think that they’ll get their sh*t together at some point, because they have the resources to continually invest in their squads. Leicester have not shown their intent to gamble in the way that Everton and Aston Villa have and Newcastle probably will do in the future. The problem is that long term sustainable investment is a sensible strategy, but might not help you keep quality players impatient for success.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Tielemans isn't going anywhere near them unless they qualify for the champions league at a minimum and even then, if he's got any sense, he's looking at the state of the league and questioning how long they can really sustain being top four. 

It's far too easy to see United's struggles, laugh and think they're in a mess. For me, they're currently going through the essential first stage of sorting themselves out and that's getting rid of dead wood. It's why so many of the squad are upset. If they're going to actually start building properly then they'll blow Arsenal out of the water, they've got far more resources.

Given that Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool are going to be staples of the top 4 for the foreseeable future it doesn't really leave much room at the party for the North London clubs with their current ownerships. They just don't have the resources. 

If Arsenal do creep in to 4th this year it'll be a flash in the pan and they'll be back in to the Europa League wilderness again come 22/23.

If a major CL semi finalist doesn't come in for YT this summer, if I were him I'd almost be tempted to sign a contract extension with a release clause and wait to see what interest he can drum up at the world cup. 

Sensible post .... and I hope you're right. United WILL get it right at some point simply because they're miles ahead of everybody in revenue terms. Arsenal's natural position (in terms of revenue only) is Europa League. 

Edited by Jobyfox

1 minute ago, Jobyfox said:

Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd all look poor short term options, but you have to think that they’ll get their sh*t together at some point, because they have the resources to continually invest in their squads

With respect, I'm not entirely sure that's true. 

At the risk of just immediately repeating myself, those three teams are essentially competing for one spot and United have vastly more recruiting power and wealth than the cockney two. 

We're in a really weird position in English and European football now where the Premier League is so disproportionately rich compared to the rest of Europe that all the major talent wants to gravitate towards it. But conversely, we've got six "big" clubs and only four tickets to the Champions League. 

Three of those are now almost locked in for the foreseeable future (and we're yet to see what Newcastle are going to do to that equation over the next decade) which makes Tottenham and Arsenal near perennial outsiders to get back to the Champions League unless they get bought out by vastly more wealthy owners. 

Arsenal have considerably more chance of qualifying than us, sure, but we're not comparing LCFC to AFC, we're comparing the Gunners to all of Tielemans' other options.

And here's the real kicker, Tielemans starts next season as a 25 year old coming in to his prime. If he takes a contract with Arsenal he's stuck there, realistically, for three to four years winning nothing. It's essentially stepping to another stepping stone when he's already in jumping distance of the shore. And unlike Leicester, Arsenal aren't going to willingly let him go to some giant without a fight if he has a good year there. 

I'd genuinely suggest he'd do his career better by staying here and extending with a release clause than he would taking a payrise to go there but being locked in until he's 28/29 years old. 

When you're good enough for Bayern, Juve, Chelsea, Real Madrid etc you just don't settle at Arsenal. 

Given he seems to be a kid that's thought very carefully and maturely about his career to date I really can't see him going there at all. 

• Like 3

I'd really hate to see him go but it's looking inevitable now isn't it.

Youri is so integral to our midfield, I'd say we would have to spend a lot more than we'd receive for him (because of Youri's contract situation) to find someone approaching his creative influence in a deep-lying role.

Is there a player who we can afford out there that can give us that creativity? Without wanting to put too much undue pressure on the lad, could we have to wait for Braybrooke to come through before we get a player of Youri's type with that level of talent?

I suspect we may have to slightly change the way we play. If Villa are in for Bissouma, maybe it's worth having a go at getting him ourselves and playing him in a box-to-box role on the side of a diamond alongside KDH or Soumare. Or even going with a robust three-man midfield. Then we let our creativity come from the ball-carrying penetration we get from those box-to-box players, wide areas with Thomas's pressing and/or the pace and power of JJ, Ricky or Castagne, and any combination of Barnes, Lookman, Maddison and Iheanacho further forward.

In any case, we look at Brunt, Alves, McAteer and Marcal-Madivadua all aquitting themselves well in the cup, with Braybrooke, Maswanhise, Popov, Pennant and others with a great chance of getting first-team minutes. In the medium to long term, the creativity and threat in our side looks good, with hopefully a few decent signings along the way.

In the short term, who knows. Filling the void left by Tielemans' eventual departure is going to be a huge problem to solve both tactically and in player recruitment. But it's been on the cards for a while. The recruitment team will hopefully have a few tricks up their sleeves.

• Like 1

Am I missing something here? If he wants to move because he wants to play champions league football, why on earth would he move to Arsenal! There is certainly no guaranteed champions league football with them, or even guaranteed Europa league football for that matter.  If on the other hand he and his agent are looking for some extra dosh, then I can see why he and his agent would be happy him going there, but he would be selling himself short in terms of a career move in my opinion.  I would like to think Tielemans would wait for a club who are going to be playing at the highest level before leaving.  That won't be Arsenal any time soon!

54 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

I think Youri will leave in the summer. I'd be surprised if it was to Arsenal, unless he wanted to stay in England. Expect the likes of Bayern, Juventus, Real Madrid to be interested given his contract will only have one year to run, making him more affordable. 

Edited by lcfc_forever