Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

I think come the summer we have to play hard ball with him. Make it clear he either signs a contract, his agent engineers a move away, or he won't be included in any squad. Don't want to see it happen as he has been a good servant and I like him a lot both as a player and a person but we can't lose money on his departure. Yes, he's been fantastic for us and is deserving of a move but we took a risk on him initially with the loan and gave him the perfect platform to demonstrate he could still do it at the top level. It'd be a kick in the teeth to get back what we paid for him let alone see him leave for free. Unfortunately I don't think the club have managed the situation particularly well, and a decision on his future should have been made last summer to maximise his value. I just hope like Kante we learn from this moving forwards as he's going to be very hard to replace given any potential transfer fee we're likely to receive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Shire Fox said:

Hes not though is he lets be honest? Hes a quality player for us but 100 million.. not a chance. Your Kevin De Bruynes and  Mo Salahs are 100 million players. Just because Man City decided hilariously to trigger Grealishes 100 million buy out clause when he isnt worth anyway near that doesnt make other players that value. Hes probably a 60-65 million pound player at best with a long contract behind him

You have to factor in that he is 24 years old....

He’s not doing anything wrong but it will be a massive kick in the balls if he doesn’t sign a new deal. Also we might even struggle to get what we paid for him the longer this goes on and it’s possible he could walked away for free but I’m sure others will want him before he does that. He’s a top player who could probably play for anyone.

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

It’s pointless saying what we should do when the player won’t be responsive to anything 

I mean we should buy lots of fantastic players but they need to want to play for us ……

Youri is leaving at the end of the season, irrelevant of what we achieve. Infact, I’m not sure that even if we had got CL for this season he would have extended. He has a career plan and that likely mean two more moves - both to big clubs. if he delays another season here then he may not get that second move. 

there was a good reason he only signed here for four years. 

I think you should re-read the thread. I've not acted like it's going to happen, the chances are very very very slim it would. It was merely answering someone who said we wouldn't ever use a release clause. 

We would, if the situation was right. That situation would at best be doesn't get the offer he wants, but maybe wants security against a long term injury. 

Reality is, he's too good not to get a good offer. But it doesn't change the point that it is something wee would do if we could.

4 hours ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

I seriously believe that KDH will be ready to be first choice, with Ndidi and Maddison, playing more of a box to box role. 

...that would be a waste of having KDH in the team!!!

In a 4-3-3 you need the workman like box to box, to drive the team. You also need someone to sit and that would be Ndidi or Soumare. Maddison could play the #8 role but is better used as a #10.

KDH's drive and workrate does not give you the vision or passing skills of a Tielemans. 

If we did lose Youri and chose not to replace him then:

Maddison @#8

Barnes @ #10

Lookman on the left

A N Other on the right

Daka or Vardy upfront. 

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...that would be a waste of having KDH in the team!!!

In a 4-3-3 you need the workman like box to box, to drive the team. You also need someone to sit and that would be Ndidi or Soumare. Maddison could play the #8 role but is better used as a #10.

KDH's drive and workrate does not give you the vision or passing skills of a Tielemans. 

If we did lose Youri and chose not to replace him then:

Maddison @#8

Barnes @ #10

Lookman on the left

A N Other on the right

Daka or Vardy upfront. 

You never know, they may adapt. That Choudry fella was a good CB last week. 

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

I'll take selling players at break-even cost if they hit thunderbolts into the back of the Wembley net to win us trophies all day long.

Southampton sold tons of incredible players, they've won nothing. Spurs sold Bale and Modric to Real Madrid, in the past Berbatov and Carrick to Man United and have won... nothing.

If Youri leaves for the 32m we paid for him having helped us into Europe twice and winning the FA Cup with us for the first time, that's terrific business in my book. Hell if we sold him at a 50% loss it would have been more than worth it. No one will forget that Thunderbolt for the rest of their lives and it's been an absolute pleasure watching him turn out every week in the Leicester Blue. He's provided many, many fantastic moments for the fans.

If we believe that he will be the difference that gets us into Europe the season after next then it may be worth letting him leave on a free.

If the club believes that him in the team makes us a top 4 side, then he may as well see out his contract and get us Champions League.

16 minutes ago, ronnup said:

Wants to go and can sign a pre contract agreement in 12 months. 100 million??? 

If we get what we paid for him we will do well. 

Vestergaard in the same situation went for 15m 

Ings in the same situation went for 30m 

And this was arguably at the bottom of the market due to covid impact. I agree it’s mental that clubs pay these prices, but if more than one club is interested we are likely to get a decent fee IMO. You’re getting an international quality player about to enter his prime here, whoever buys gets the best of his career most likely. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

1 hour ago, FoxesWalk said:

Vestergaard in the same situation went for 15m 

Ings in the same situation went for 30m 

And this was arguably at the bottom of the market due to covid impact. I agree it’s mental that clubs pay these prices, but if more than one club is interested we are likely to get a decent fee IMO. You’re getting an international quality player about to enter his prime here, whoever buys gets the best of his career most likely. 

I guess we will find out. But I'd be surprised if it was north of 40 mill, there's only so many teams that can afford him and a lot of them don't desperately need him. 

I'm pretty sure he won't be signing a new contract. The club have thought that likely for a while now and have actively been looking for a replacement since last autumn.

If we want to cash in then we have to sell now. Probably get 40 million. If we leave it to the  summer that figure will probably halve. I think we'd go the rest of the season with out a replacement as getting the right person in will probably not be possible until the summer and then will depend upon where we finish in the league and future European football which isn't looking that likely.

Accepted he was going a long time ago, the moment when a player drags out a new contract offer with the small indicators in the press of the desire to consider his options. Didn’t get any feeling it was a ploy to get a better contract, the club would have resolved that by this point. The current talk is the final setup for the transfer in the summer.  

He’s been the ultimate professional since the summer, has given us something very special in our history, not a lot more a player can do to leave on a positive note. 

Youri is a top class premier league international midfielder and I’d fully expect us to at least get what we paid. I’d increase the price for Arsenal a little bit, they’re a Tielmans and a striker away from a consistent top 5 team.