Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

GTA VI

"Production underway". They're notorious for thorough development on their AAA tier releases, it could be another 3 years away for all we know. With GTA V they built a tsunami of hype years in advance, thousands of clickbait YouTube channels going over every feasible snippet released and another few thousand talking about leaks - GTA V was in effect built up to be the best game of all time ... somewhere I think it failed in passing it's predecessor.

Anywho it's big news. R* have been suss under Take2 and with Houser leaving, it's a huge step to prove they've still got it imo. No doubt it'll make a tonne of money but is it moving forward?

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

Didn’t all the main people behind GTA leave Rockstar? Not sure how good this will end up being 

Yeah, Dan Houser was the biggest loss - he was the main writer and a producer for all the GTA's (GTA 2 onwards) and many of Rockstar's other games. Left in 2020 to start up a new development studio, Absurd Ventures, but as far as I'm aware they haven't announced any projects yet.

Leslie Benzies left in 2018 (main gameplay designer and a producer for all the 3D GTA games) on very bad terms, ended up taking Take Two to court which ended up with a settlement after counter-claims. Started a new studio (Build a Rocket Boy), who are developing their own open world game, but there hasn't been any news on this for a while.*

Lazlow left in 2020. Apart from being a mainstay DJ across the series, he was also involved in the writing, production and NPC dialogue - I think he had a lot to do with giving the series the humour that makes it GTA

I love the fact that it's official that work is underway for GTA VI, but without any sort of artwork/gameplay reveal, this literally might have just started. We could still be 5 years away, but hopefully less. With the staff difference too, this may be a completely different GTA to what we're use to, I wouldn't even rule out a completely online GTA VI, with no story whatsoever seeing as most of the money made from V has been Shark Cards 

*Leslie's project will hopefully really be one to look out for though. David Jones (I think created the idea for the original GTA and produced GTA I and II) left DMA (later Rockstar North) to go on to found Realtime Worlds and made the original Crackdown, which I still think is one of the most fun games in recent console generations. Maybe Leslie's first game will follow a similar trajectory, and not just be another GTA rip-off?

• Like 2

Surely this has been in active development for a very long time. It's rare a studio as big as these only have 1 game on the go and rdr2 is what now, 3 years old? They'd have at the very least put a skeleton team together to start on this before rdr2 came out. But maybe now with all the emphasis on the cash cow of online that isn't the case and the majority of developers are put on to the online aspect of these games. As someone who couldn't give a toss about gta or rdr online it disappoints me a great deal.

Let's be honest with ourselves; GTAV post launch was the beginning of the end. Games-as-a-service, buy-fake-currency, bullsh it.

Everyone gets that shot at redemption but I think the amount of money made from SHARKCARDS(!?>!?!?!H*NDFU) will shout louder than the creatives (all left, by the way) in that planning session.

Hope I'm wrong. Doubt I will be.

• Like 2

From memory, this kind of goes against their previous marketing strategies. They're usually well into development before they put something out.

With GTA4, 5 and RDR they've tended to put out one "game world" trailer (which everyone dissects frame-by-frame) and then they just go completely silent until a few months before release when they ramp it up again. 

This is disappointing. But then again modern R* have rinsed GTAV to death and thought the remaster trilogy was a good idea, so... 

I can't tell you how pumped I was when the IV trailer first dropped. Such a good time to be at university. 

Edited by RoboFox

Got low expectations of this game. I think the main guy who made the previous GTA's has left the company and most of the time it usually ends up with worse games. Can see them just trying to do an online GTA with a story or some crap bit like how GTA online is now. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/02/2022 at 21:37, The People's Hero said:

Let's be honest with ourselves; GTAV post launch was the beginning of the end. Games-as-a-service, buy-fake-currency, bullsh it.

Everyone gets that shot at redemption but I think the amount of money made from SHARKCARDS(!?>!?!?!H*NDFU) will shout louder than the creatives (all left, by the way) in that planning session.

Hope I'm wrong. Doubt I will be.

Of course it's intentional calling them shark cards but then on top to become just as bad if not worse than a lot of the other online services games just makes it poor taste... 

I agree with your take though. If they couldn't even be bothered to make an offline dlc for GTA (really liked the GTA IV DLC games that came out.), I'm worried about how much they'll put into a story mode on this one.

Edited by LCFCCHRIS

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2022 at 12:57, Christoph said:

Got low expectations of this game. I think the main guy who made the previous GTA's has left the company and most of the time it usually ends up with worse games. Can see them just trying to do an online GTA with a story or some crap bit like how GTA online is now. 

if they want to keep the online crowd happy as well as the offline players then they should create a new map and plonk it on the online as an extra its not hard to achieve.

• 5 months later...
19 hours ago, Jaspa said:

New lead is based on a mash-up of Trevor and Franklin from that. Location looks sunny, did I read somewhere we're going back to Vice City?

31 minutes ago, snoopy87 said:

New lead is based on a mash-up of Trevor and Franklin from that. Location looks sunny, did I read somewhere we're going back to Vice City?

Yeh the licence plates say VC. The two characters are called Lucia and Jason apparently, seems like a kind of Bonnie & Clyde thing.