Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

Would you rather have the point in the bag with inferior goal difference, or a game in hand, with the chance of going two points clear with a superior goal difference? However, the game in hand is against fourth place, and in form Southampton, and you've currently got the wobbles, even against struggling sides. The game is at home.

Personally I'd rather swap and have the point in the bag.

9 minutes ago, Twitcher said:

Would you rather have the point in the bag with inferior goal difference, or a game in hand, with the chance of going two points clear with a superior goal difference? However, the game in hand is against fourth place, and in form Southampton, and you've currently got the wobbles, even against struggling sides. The game is at home.

It’s said that’s it’s better to have the points on the board rather than the games in hand. 

But we don’t, we have the game in hand. With every possibility of winning that game. With every possibility of being 2 clear of Ipswich when we play that game and every possibility of us being 4 clear of Leeds when we play that game. 

10 minutes ago, Twitcher said:

Twitcher.. you should know this!

A bird in the hand, is worth two in the bush 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Twitcher said:

Far too passive.

We should not be thinking that a point at home to Southampton is a good result for us, it's not.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Daka missed one absolute sitter. We barely troubled the keeper for the rest of it, lets not pretend we had tons of clear cut chances

I didn’t say clear cut chances, but in my opinion good chances from which a composed confident team would have scored  at least 1 or 2. I counted 8 against P A , plus the offside Daka goal if I include the slick passing and final ball from KDH, but just let down by either him delaying the pass or Daka going a fraction too early. 

Tuned in halfway through the phone in on TalkSport.

Fan was on talking about how they are getting fed-up with this tippy tappy nonsense and playing out slowly from the back. He added how they've been caught out several times this season.

He acknowledged that prem teams play this style but that we haven't got the quality necessary to play that way successfully.

I assumed it was a LCFC fan but no, Southampton

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

Just saw the highlights for Leeds vs Blackburn.

We should not get complacent just because they lost.

We have a proven track record of choking first of all.

Secondly, when you watch the highlights, there were so many clear cut chances for Leeds. If you watch the highlights for the last game, you can hardly get enough for 30 seconds.

So I am still very concerned, especially with our sideways football having been found out already.

9 hours ago, Twitcher said:

Points on the board are always preferable, particular how all 3 teams at the top seem incapable of winning convincingly or just simply winning. My only shred of hope is that when we play Southampton I think it's their 6th game in 18 days and hopefully fatigue may be setting in.

37 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

Not for a minute that I think this is going to happen myself, but the optimist wearing those blue tinted glasses would say, we win against West Brom Saturday,  Leeds lose away at Boro on Monday after, and we will be promoted with a home win the following night against Southampton.

Very optimistic!

I messaged a friend who is a Leeds fan to ask what’s happening with them, and the response reminded me of us - they look leggy, out of ideas and are vulnerable on the transition. I don’t know about Ipswich, but the same wouldn’t surprise me either.

We need to take advantage of the one thing we have left - playing at home for 3 out of last 4. 

It will be interesting how teams set up against for the run in - because they have more to offer going forward and could be expansive. If they sit deep like Millwall and Plymouth did we could be in trouble though. 

Not sure how points are needed - reckon 7 will do it? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Very optimistic!

I messaged a friend who is a Leeds fan to ask what’s happening with them, and the response reminded me of us - they look leggy, out of ideas and are vulnerable on the transition. I don’t know about Ipswich, but the same wouldn’t surprise me either.

We need to take advantage of the one thing we have left - playing at home for 3 out of last 4. 

It will be interesting how teams set up against for the run in - because they have more to offer going forward and could be expansive. If they sit deep like Millwall and Plymouth did we could be in trouble though. 

Not sure how points are needed - reckon 7 will do it? 

Leeds and our issues are largely the same, even though we play completely different styles. We both look knackered and we aren't taking our chances. In the last 2 games, Leicester and Leeds created enough and both had golden opportunities that should have been taken. Once chances aren't taken, frustration kicks in and both teams start overplaying. Both Farke and Enzo don't have a solution to it - the problem is in the players heads. Their approach is to keep doing the same thing in the hope the players snap out of it.

Ipswich are different imho. They are playing the same as they always have done. The lucks just dried up. Players don't seem as frustrated though and they don't look like they are knackered.

3 games at home should be the part that clinches this. The fans were brilliant in the last 2 home games. Do the same and it will give us the edge i am sure. The 'almighty' leeds fans yesterday were awful. 

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Bert said:

It’s said that’s it’s better to have the points on the board rather than the games in hand. 

But we don’t, we have the game in hand. With every possibility of winning that game. With every possibility of being 2 clear of Ipswich when we play that game and every possibility of us being 4 clear of Leeds when we play that game. 

Alot of possibilities in there.

The most likely possibility  at the moment is that we actually lose our game in hand?

Isnt that a more likely possibility!

22 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Leeds and our issues are largely the same, even though we play completely different styles. We both look knackered and we aren't taking our chances. In the last 2 games, Leicester and Leeds created enough and both had golden opportunities that should have been taken. Once chances aren't taken, frustration kicks in and both teams start overplaying. Both Farke and Enzo don't have a solution to it - the problem is in the players heads. Their approach is to keep doing the same thing in the hope the players snap out of it.

Ipswich are different imho. They are playing the same as they always have done. The lucks just dried up. Players don't seem as frustrated though and they don't look like they are knackered.

3 games at home should be the part that clinches this. The fans were brilliant in the last 2 home games. Do the same and it will give us the edge i am sure. The 'almighty' leeds fans yesterday were awful. 

As important as playing at home will be Enzo recognising he needs to rotate Daka (Cannon) and hopefully Faes (Coady).

Also he can’t wait until 70 mins plus to change things up if we are struggling.

Edited by JimmyC74

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Sorry but this is an appalling take. He's made some ridiculous saves this season. The stats showed this as well, or certainly did when I last looked.

The 'problem' people have with Mads is that he doesn't 'have' to make many saves at the moment. In the last 2 defeats in particular he's pretty much had nothing to do and hardly faced any shots (apart from 2 unstoppable shots that have raced past him).  I don't recall him having to do much against Norwich or Brum either. Right now there isn't anymore the guy can do and people have started taking their possession football frustrations out on him. Unfairly. 

• Like 4

Table update: If Southampton win their two games in hand they will be on level points with Leeds.
Last game of the season: Leeds United vs Southampton 👀
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

As important as playing at home will be Enzo recognising he needs to rotate Daka (Cannon) and hopefully Faes (Coady).

Also he can’t wait until 70 mins plus to change things up if we are struggling.

I don't see Daka starting the next game. He's probably done now.

I don't see Enzo swapping Faes for Coady - i really don't. Its whether Coady has enough to take Jannik out of the team.

3 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I don't see Daka starting the next game. He's probably done now.

I don't see Enzo swapping Faes for Coady - i really don't. Its whether Coady has enough to take Jannik out of the team.

Enzo likely won’t change Faes, but not only has he been a liability he deflects blame to others which won’t help confidence. 

We need leadership now more than ever.  

1 hour ago, smudger63 said:

Not for a minute that I think this is going to happen myself, but the optimist wearing those blue tinted glasses would say, we win against West Brom Saturday,  Leeds lose away at Boro on Monday after, and we will be promoted with a home win the following night against Southampton.

That would be such a wild turnaround after, let's face it, what has been a disgusting 2 weeks supporting this club lol

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Sorry but this is an appalling take. He's made some ridiculous saves this season. The stats showed this as well, or certainly did when I last looked.

Well I didn’t realise suggesting he wasn’t elite in every area would be such a controversial view!

I didn’t suggest he was crap or anything, maybe I worded my thoughts wrong but basically I feel his strength is with his feet and when it comes to shot stopping he is more ‘part of the pack’ in terms of not being head and shoulders ahead (which with his feet he probably is). 

Recency bias comes in as well but I don’t recall anything game winning or point saving for some time. It’s not like there’s any examples coming to mind where you think he should have saved them, but more he saves what he should, no mistakes. But not gone the other way either. But yeah, it’s a long season and I’m sure when the team were playing well and keeping clean sheets there would have been examples.

Edited by LCFCJohn