Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

7 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Ipswich don’t play until the 27th? That’s odd.

Supposed to play Coventry this weekend but Cov have their FA Cup semi. 

IMG_3077.png.7ba1b8875deeb4d25244ebdfa8c34966.pngJust thought I’d remind myself of the Championship team of the year from when we won it last time. 

No Matty James. Vardy. Nugent. Knockaert. Even Konch and De Laet would have had a shout. 

These things always bring out lots of debate but I think the awards are designed to have a fair balance rather than 1 team heavy (which arguably any team who wins the league could justify. 

The other thing that is quite interesting is how competitive sides were. Trippier, Cresswell, Drinkwater, Ings all represented England. 7 of the 11 all had decent/good PL careers

10 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

IMG_3077.png.7ba1b8875deeb4d25244ebdfa8c34966.pngJust thought I’d remind myself of the Championship team of the year from when we won it last time. 

No Matty James. Vardy. Nugent. Knockaert. Even Konch and De Laet would have had a shout. 

These things always bring out lots of debate but I think the awards are designed to have a fair balance rather than 1 team heavy (which arguably any team who wins the league could justify. 

The other thing that is quite interesting is how competitive sides were. Trippier, Cresswell, Drinkwater, Ings all represented England. 7 of the 11 all had decent/good PL careers

I like a fairer representation. I also think it derives because the natural order in the league is not the same as the Prem. Players are excelling throughout the league despite their league position. Whittaker and Sczmodics for example have been phenomenal.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I don't remember Andy Reid being any good that season? That said it was about a billion years ago, I can't remember.

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

Ipswich don’t play until the 27th? That’s odd.

cos the game theyd have this weekend would have been Cov, but given theyve got the FA Cup this weekend....its now on the 30th April, so Ippy finish with a 3 game week, 2 aways and 1 home

Edited by FrankieADZ

5 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

We could end up not getting promoted essentially because of that 2nd goal that was ridiculously disallowed against Leeds. They weren't going to come back from 2-0 down, but instead they got a wake up call and a sack full of luck that day.

If that goal had stood we'd be 6 points further ahead from Leeds and 2 ahead of Ipswich with a game in hand. I also think our confidence would be better. We'd be virtually promoted by now and Leeds would be looking over their shoulder at Southampton.

Of course, cause and effect is much more complicated than that, but if we marginally miss out to Leeds...

Shows how important good refs are. Bring back VA... Erm... :unsure:

if we don’t get promoted then it’s our own stupid fault. Blaming refs would be the ultimate scapegoat 

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Do people seriously believe thngs like this?

Do you actually believe that an instruction could have gone out to every ref and countless others to either ensure Ipswich get promoted or Leciester don't and that somebody wouldn't have gone to the press by now?

WEhat's your stance on moon landing, flat earth, vaccinations & 5G?

It's like people saying the EFL wants to get us, so we won't get decisions. 

The officials aren't controlled by the PL or the EFL - the PGMOL is a separate legal entity. 

So whilst, yes obviously the PL / EFL have some influence - if the EFL wanted to dictate us not getting decisions, how would that work in practice...? 

21 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Do you actually believe that an instruction could have gone out to every ref and countless others to either ensure Ipswich get promoted or Leciester don't and that somebody wouldn't have gone to the press by now?

WEhat's your stance on moon landing, flat earth, vaccinations & 5G?

Chris Wilder seems to think so.

On 14/04/2024 at 09:27, Chelmofox said:

The 'problem' people have with Mads is that he doesn't 'have' to make many saves at the moment. In the last 2 defeats in particular he's pretty much had nothing to do and hardly faced any shots (apart from 2 unstoppable shots that have raced past him).  I don't recall him having to do much against Norwich or Brum either. Right now there isn't anymore the guy can do and people have started taking their possession football frustrations out on him. Unfairly. 

The Leicester way, we lose, and a scapegoat is found.  Something I have tried to argue against on here a few times now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Ipswich left back in that TOTS and this years. Maybe that is a good omen for you!

13 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Could potentially do their legs that….. provided we get our act together and win our next two games! 

There's pros and cons as a Town fan for our weekend off. On the plus side, there is a chance Burns and possibly even Hirst are back for the run in. Burns especially gives us such a potent option down the right (see the goal of the season). Also I think we need the break as we've looked knackered in the last few games.

Downside is it's a hectic final week, plus if Leicester, Leeds and Southampton have a perfect* 2 weeks up until then, there could be a lot of pressure. Leicester play 2, Southampton play 4 and Leeds play 2 before Ipswich next kick a ball (albeit some of that is just the late kick off time on Saturday). We could theoretically be in 4th, 2 points behind both Leicester and Southampton and 4 behind Leeds when we kick off against Hull.

*obviously Leicester and Southampton play each other, so someone drops points, but you get my drift.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Honestly think there might be a pro Ipswich agenda. We had some astounding decisions - one a stonewall pen against them - not given. And I’ve seen a lot of other dubious decisions that go their way late on that they profit from.

Why weren't Sunderland given a penalty in the last minute if there's a conspiracy against us?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

What's your stance on moon landing, flat earth, vaccinations & 5G?

I certainly believe, because I’ve seen it. Both Ipswich games against us the officials were disgraceful. 

Countless times this season it’s been extremely noticeable that the officials have been lenient with whoever we’ve played. 

Moon landing? It happened.

The earth is an Ellipsoid.

5G? Weird that they’ve chopped down and cut so many trees for it TBH 😂

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Foxmeister said:

Why weren't Sunderland given a penalty in the last minute if there's a conspiracy against us?

No conspiracy but to answer your question because it wasn’t a penalty.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

What's your stance on moon landing, flat earth, vaccinations & 5G?

Funny you mention 5G - I was sold a 5G phone a few months ago and not had 5G once. Must be a global conspiracy, or that I live in a rural area with no 5G coverage. Not sure which. 

But re Ipswich, hard to deny they’ve had some serious luck this season. 

44 minutes ago, Foxmeister said:

cos the defender was looking for it, you could see from the way he went down, 

Ipswich have had alot of decisions go their way, couple in the game against us on Boxing day, KDH pen and Harness should have been sent off, 

they certainly seem to get the rub of the green at times when it comes to decisions

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Cresswell and Trippier were ridiculously good that season, so Konchesky and RDL not making it in isnt too surprising. And as good as Vardy has been since, that season he was far from the standout striker in the league (16 goals, McCormack got 28 and several others hit 20+) and Nugent's 20 included 11 penalties... It's a pretty fair XI, all in all!

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

if we don’t get promoted then it’s our own stupid fault. Blaming refs would be the ultimate scapegoat 

I'm not blaming refs, we should have been good enough to get over that hump.

However, denying that it wouldn't have made a difference is quite blinkered. My point is whole seasons swing on moments like that and random chance is a fickle mistress.

To a lesser extent, Daka's disallowed goal vs Plymouth, which could have quite easily have gone the other way, especially without VAR, but instead they score their goal of the season.

Which if anything is where you need someone who instills confidence, something we are lacking. At least while Coady isn't playing.