Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

11 hours ago, MPH said:

Very interesting article. However I finished reading it feeling Monbiot missed an opportunity  to go into a bit more detail as to WHY Liosatos was wrong on several things,  especially as this article likely reached people similar to Liosatos. Little bit too much point scoring, possibly?

still, an interesting read, thank you for sharing.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought it was a really well considered and argued article but came away from it feeling a little unfulfilled the first time I read it. 

Having just read it again, I think the problem comes from the big unanswered question in all this about why there seems to be so many folk willing to latch on to stuff that has zero evidence base instead of stuff that does. That's the point in the interview where everything seems to change and the guy starts to go to pieces and as the reader I'm thinking well, it all made sense until now, but there's something here that really needs explaining and it just doesn't happen.

I'm not inclined to blame Monbiot for that because I think you're getting into the territory there where you're making someone confront something about their value set, beliefs or whatever that could turn the whole lot on its head, and of course that's really difficult and painful for anyone. Particularly tricky from a journalist's perspective when, as in this instance, you're actually getting on pretty well with the subject and acknowledge you've got a lot of common ground. 

I'm surprised there's not more stuff out there on this subject than there seems to be. It's pretty important isn't it? The thing that makes me sad is the waste of all the energy and time that is ploughed into propagating things that are baseless. Imagine if you could channel that into something constructive

13 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought it was a really well considered and argued article but came away from it feeling a little unfulfilled the first time I read it. 

Having just read it again, I think the problem comes from the big unanswered question in all this about why there seems to be so many folk willing to latch on to stuff that has zero evidence base instead of stuff that does. That's the point in the interview where everything seems to change and the guy starts to go to pieces and as the reader I'm thinking well, it all made sense until now, but there's something here that really needs explaining and it just doesn't happen.

I'm not inclined to blame Monbiot for that because I think you're getting into the territory there where you're making someone confront something about their value set, beliefs or whatever that could turn the whole lot on its head, and of course that's really difficult and painful for anyone. Particularly tricky from a journalist's perspective when, as in this instance, you're actually getting on pretty well with the subject and acknowledge you've got a lot of common ground. 

I'm surprised there's not more stuff out there on this subject than there seems to be. It's pretty important isn't it? The thing that makes me sad is the waste of all the energy and time that is ploughed into propagating things that are baseless. Imagine if you could channel that into something constructive

I think it all comes  down to your foundation.  Your trust of why the government is there. If you see the government as interfering / controlling you’ll interpret everything you see through those glasses, even the far out and weird stuff, because it fits in with what you have decided is true… I mean, there IS stuff out there that is enough to light the litmus+ paper the way spies have been operating for years,  an unexplained death now and that to people will ‘ prove’. The government is out to get you…  

probably not explaining myself well this morning.. trying to get ready for work!

1 hour ago, Zear0 said:

Let's hope this ceasefire becomes permanent. Sadly I doubt it. 

Again Hamas show their adeptness in winning the propaganda war. Israel simply never been anywhere near them since mid October.  Israel may have the military ammunition but Hamas’ political nouse and media stuff has been so much better all along. (Especially since they’ve often been working from a less than pleasant subterranean working environment) 

I'm watching the pictures of the Palestinians celebrating on the streets of Gaza that Hamas have agreed a ceasefire, whilst listening to the Israelis saying not only have they not agreed, but they are planning a ground offensive in Rafah, and I can't help wondering how many of the Palestinians will be dead in the coming days.

Such a sad state of affairs that some of the western world are not only complicit in, but actually encouraging and funding.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Before we start making any judgements,  it seems that Hamas have agreed that Israel have to stop fighting, to withdraw completely and to allow unchecked goods to flow into Gaza.with the abolishment of the restrictions that have been in place since Hamas kicked out fatah in 2007.  Can anyone see why Israel might not be so keen on such an agreement ? 

I believe that the wording used in the agreement which reflects permanency is ‘sustained quiet’. That does give netnenyahu a slight out in that he doesn’t have to accept its forever.  But the end of the war is the end of netenyahu so it won’t be the right wing govt that moves forward on this anyway 

Edited by st albans fox

42 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm watching the pictures of the Palestinians celebrating on the streets of Gaza that Hamas have agreed a ceasefire, whilst listening to the Israelis saying not only have they not agreed, but they are planning a ground offensive in Rafah, and I can't help wondering how many of the Palestinians will be dead in the coming days.

Such a sad state of affairs that some of the western world are not only complicit in, but actually encouraging and funding.

And Arab states are complicit in the attacks by Hamas on Israel. Hamas embed themselves amongst the civilian population actively putting civilians at risk.both sides are complicit in acts of aggression and destruction. There is no magical solutions without compromise and concessions. Israel is the only functioning recognised democracy in the region and yet is continually attacked by other democracies for trying to continually protect its citizens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Before we start making any judgements,  it seems that Hamas have agreed that Israel have to stop fighting, to withdraw completely and to allow unchecked goods to flow into Gaza.with the abolishment of the restrictions that have been in place since Hamas kicked out fatah in 2007.  Can anyone see why Israel might not be so keen on such an agreement ? 

I believe that the wording used in the agreement which reflects permanency is ‘sustained quiet’. That does give netnenyahu a slight out in that he doesn’t have to accept its forever.  But the end of the war is the end of netenyahu so it won’t be the right wing govt that moves forward on this anyway 

i think if there is a pause/ end of the fighting with Hamas, they will focus their efforts and attention onto Hezbollah.  He’ll probably argue this is all part of the same war. I’m convinced he’s going to try and hang on hoping that Trump will get into office.

7 hours ago, MPH said:

i think if there is a pause/ end of the fighting with Hamas, they will focus their efforts and attention onto Hezbollah.  He’ll probably argue this is all part of the same war. I’m convinced he’s going to try and hang on hoping that Trump will get into office.

Trump is no friend of his though 

he thinks netenyau disrespected him at the last election when he congratulated Biden whilst trump was disputing the outcome.

of course trump may be intent on humiliating BN initially  before assisting him.  

Yesterday was another illustration of how Hamas are setting the agenda. The fact that there is now talk of them stopping their armed struggle for good will make BN’s problems even larger.  It does offer him a chink of light though because one of the stated war aims is to destroy Hamas to ensure that an oct 7 cannot happen again. If Hamas did ‘lay down their arms’ then I suppose he could argue that they were no longer an existential threat to Israel. 

and they bombed the Karen shalom ‘aid’ crossing the previous day knowing that this would elicit a response from Isreal on a day when they were going to leak that they would accept a ceasefire. Sinwar is maybe ‘too clever’ and that would concern the Israelis - the lack of any trust is endemic in this. 

of course note that amongst yesterday’s events were rockets launched into Israel by PIJ who are likely not to be in line with laying down their arms.  significant that they did this post the Hamas ‘announcement’. 

I don’t disagree about hezbollah although Israel is keen to get the 60k residents that are currently displaced from n Israel back to their homes so a continuation of events in the north is not likely to get a positive response from the public. 

Posted (edited)
On 06/05/2024 at 11:05, Bellend Sebastian said:

I suspect that's because there isn't really an explanation, as such, for why people become so passionately attached to wild theories that have zero evidence base. It's not a rational or evidence-based position, so by definition defies explanation. It's a psychological phenomenon, not an intellectual one. As Monibot discusses in the article, some people seem to find emotional security in the idea that most of the bad things in the world are the result of a secretive cabal of (probably Jewish) villains whose influence extends everywhere but is impossible to pin down. Simple, all-encompassing theories are easier to digest, and therefore provide more immediate comfort, than complex reality.

Anyway, a really interesting article. Thanks for sharing it.

Edited by ClaphamFox

13 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Can’t wait to find out what the MOD passwords were that China managed to hack through 

There was an MOD representative in the radio today and he was asked, how do you know it's China and his answer, in not so many words, was, "it's exactly the sort of thing they would do."

All a bit racist if you ask me.

Posted (edited)

As if 'Ten Years to Save the West' wasn't ludicrous enough, it is entirely possible that Truss took her inspiration from nutbars like South Dakota Governor. Kristi Noem, who suggested that Joe Biden may wish to wish to (literally) take a leaf from her book ('No Going Back') in which she details how she shot her pointer, (Cricket), in the head for being ill-tempered and aggressive. Yep, yet another gun toting, deranged MAGA lunatic and aspiring Trump running mate elect that gives even MTG a run for her money has spent the last week on US television defending a grisly account in the book in which she shot her dog in a gravel pit and her recommendation that Joe Biden should do the same to his German Shepherd, Commander. It transpires that after the deed was done, her Billy Goat also ate a lead breakfast for being "nasty and mean" and " smelling terrible". Only it didn’t kill him with the first shot, and she had to go back to her truck for more ammunition to finish the job. Even Trump himself is aghast - not so much about putting a bullet to a defenceless animal's head, but more why someone would feel the need to jeopardise their political career by telling the world about it. She has also alleged that she dropped out of the Primary race because Nikki Hayley threatened her, refers to Democrats as political creatures worse than donkeys, (perhaps she'd like to shoot them too?) and described a meeting she supposedly had with Kim Jong-un which her spokesman later acknowledged was "an error".

This woman was was the U.S. representative for South Dakota's at-large congressional district from 2011 to 2019, and a member of the South Dakota House of Representatives from 2007 to 2011.

Edited by SpacedX
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 06/05/2024 at 16:27, nnfox said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-68942321

You cant just "phase out" apostrophes. Get a better computer system.

On 06/05/2024 at 16:42, SpacedX said:

Evidently, half of the members on here clearly don't think they need them. :ph34r:

Or commas, or full stops. In some cases, not even capital letters.

19 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Knew something like this would eventually happen..

https://t.co/IUQZEMUt4O

So, China are after pensioner's savings and people on Universal Credit????

Tobias Ellwood, a Conservative MP and former soldier, told Sky News that China "was probably looking at the financially vulnerable with a view that they may be coerced in exchange for cash".