Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Danny Ward - OUT

£55k per week for a back up keeper who barely played a game for 3/4 years and when he did finally step up proved to be no better than lower end championship quality. At what stage did he do anything to justify such a wage and the powers that be that sanctioned such a package, and no doubt many more to bang average squad players, demonstrate they have completely lost the plot and any modicum of sound business sense. 

I had a degree of sympathy when we were pushing the FFP limits tying players like Vardy, Fofana,  Barnes, Madders, Wilf etc to big contracts, but then you hear stories like this. where we are paying bang average squad players, who have done nothing to earn such recompense being rewarded with contracts and salaries that are 50% or more above their worth. Mismanagement of the highest order and bordering on sheer incompetence. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WestLothianFox said:

How about we change it to Danny Ward staying, that would be even more depressing

Or 'Danny Ward to challenge Conrad Logan's Record'?

(Anstey Nomads are on standby ready to sign!).

Edited by volpeazzurro

Puel signed him didn’t he?  He seemed to be trying to remove some of the more influential players like Vardy at the time. Was Ward signing  designed to push out Kasper but then Puel realised how crap he was? He never played him really did he?

Can't we lose him for free without breaking ffp?

His initial contract against purchase has surpassed, so surely his value is zero? Or am I massively wrong?

I'm aware a huge issue will be finding someone willing to match his wages. Just shows a massive lack of ambition to play and achieve anything in the game. I know it's our fault (and people would say you'd work for A over B if they're paying you more), but we're talking about someone with money set up for life... surely nows the time to take a cut and actually play?

2 minutes ago, Simonb said:

Can't we lose him for free without breaking ffp?

His initial contract against purchase has surpassed, so surely his value is zero? Or am I massively wrong?

I'm aware a huge issue will be finding someone willing to match his wages. Just shows a massive lack of ambition to play and achieve anything in the game. I know it's our fault (and people would say you'd work for A over B if they're paying you more), but we're talking about someone with money set up for life... surely nows the time to take a cut and actually play?

If he was on £55k a week, he'll have had a 40% pay cut, so more like £30-35k a week now. I think any club willing to sign him permanently would be Championship or below and we'd have to chuff up half or more of his wages for the rest of the 18 months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

If he was on £55k a week, he'll have had a 40% pay cut, so more like £30-35k a week now. I think any club willing to sign him permanently would be Championship or below and we'd have to chuff up half or more of his wages for the rest of the 18 months. 

Yea I'd have to agree with that. 

Can't see anyone in the top half of the championship wanting him, so I'd imagine the max anyone below that could afford would be 8 to 10k a month, so yea we are lumbered

Only chance we have of reducing the keepers is someone taking a punt on Iversen I guess, smithies isn't going to go this month either. Can't blame the lad.

7 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

£55k per week for a back up keeper who barely played a game for 3/4 years and when he did finally step up proved to be no better than lower end championship quality. At what stage did he do anything to justify such a wage and the powers that be that sanctioned such a package, and no doubt many more to bang average squad players, demonstrate they have completely lost the plot and any modicum of sound business sense. 

I had a degree of sympathy when we were pushing the FFP limits tying players like Vardy, Fofana,  Barnes, Madders, Wilf etc to big contracts, but then you hear stories like this. where we are paying bang average squad players, who have done nothing to earn such recompense being rewarded with contracts and salaries that are 50% or more above their worth. Mismanagement of the highest order and bordering on sheer incompetence. 

I've said it before but we're basically just Everton with silverware. I know that's a huge difference and ultimately what it's all about, but we've horrendously mismanaged a lot of signings and transfers since promotion to the PL in 2014. Some high profile, profitable sales have papered over the cracks. 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

And bear in mind if we go back up then so do his wages ………

If he’s been assured if his euros place then he may just hang around 

if he’s been told he needs to play then I reckon a loan at best because of those wages 

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

And bear in mind if we go back up then so do his wages ………

If he’s been assured if his euros place then he may just hang around 

if he’s been told he needs to play then I reckon a loan at best because of those wages 

Yes exactly, the best we can now hope for is a loan until June covering half his £30k a week wages.

1 hour ago, LestaLad said:

Just got to pray Cardiff come in for him now ffs.

So clearly these reports all stem from Chinese whispers. Somebody overheard Sheffield United wanted a grbic keeper and everyone assumed Ward!

• Haha 1

Just now, Md9 said:

This guy isn’t getting anywhere above a league one team he isn’t good at all . We are stuck with him as no one will pay his wages 

Stuck with him until the end of his contract then might luck himself into a move to Wrexham

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

Stuck with him until the end of his contract then might luck himself into a move to Wrexham

Knowing our luck he will have a secret clause in his contract where when we get promoted he gets an extra 2 years.