Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

So where do you rank this promotion?

Given the squad we had at our disposal it feels a little bit like we simply achieved what we should have. But given that most of us feared we had blown it after the Plymouth debacle it does feel pretty good right now. And the fact that the Leeds implosion has plumbed new depths makes it all the sweeter. Hopefully we can now go on to win the League with 100 points and clinch the title with a victory on the pitch either at Preston or at home to Blackburn.

8 hours ago, Raj said:

Put it this way, I'm going bed already!!!

Advice sought: does anyone have a way of getting a hideous mental image out of my brain?

I’ve tried a lot of things like whistling the Macarena and trying to visualise Nigel Farage nude skiing - but nothing is ridding me of the mental scar that is Raj “celebrating” in bed. 🤢

Edited by Daggers
Raj is a tool
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, MattFox said:

2003 saved the club 

We might never know how catastrophic failure to get promoted this season could have been.

The EFL seemed determined to make an example out of us.

It could have potentially ruined us.

• Like 1

Given that promotion should have been the expectatiin with the squad we put together by the end of August, it feels more like job done.

With the general coverage of teams outside of the Prem massively improved and how unejoyable many parts of the Premier league are. There's definitely less excitement than the previous few times we've gone up.

Part of the bonus was being on fm and seeing more of your team on the BBC sport site and stuff like that.

Nowadays I have access to all games, highlights and I feel like I know far more about the club than I should ever need to lol

I imagine it'll mean a lot more to Ipswich fans in general than it will to ours as its something fresh, exciting and I imagine family unexpected 

7 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

83 was both brilliant for a 15 game run to get into third, but anticlimatic, because promotion was confirmed a few days later.   Fulham having protested to the football league  that Derby fans ran on the pitch with a minute left to play causing an abandonment. So was a wait for the FL meeting at Lytham St Annes to rubber stamp our promotion 

Yeah, it's funny how the various promotions end up being so different.

1980, we were "nearly" promoted after our last home match v Charlton 2-1 win.   But not quite, as an 8 goal reversal with Chelsea could've deprived us.   So it was mathematically confirmed with a 1-0 win at Orient.

1983, as you say above was a really funny affair, with it being confirmed days later when the football league allowed the Derby v Fulham 1-0 result to stand.

1994 and 1996, playoff wins at Wembley.

2003, confirmed with us beating Brighton at home 2-0, although we were well clear, so not exactly very tense.

2009, confirmed with us beating Southend away 2-0.  Again, had a couple of games to spare, so great day out but not too tense.

2014, promoted with our feet up after our 2 closest rival both lost on the Saturday, after us beating Sheff Wed on the Friday night.   As per 2003, not tense at all, as we were well clear ... had 6 games left I think.

There are two ways to look at it.

Financially - this promotion was massive in this instance. The EFL would have thrown the book at us and we'd be in deep poop if we'd had stayed. If we did, we'd be in this league for years. Like a Norwich, West Brom, Sunderland. It could have gone really bad. How bad, luckily we'll never find out. 

Achievement - 2014 promotion was bigger. We had a good championship side. We currently have a premier League players in the squad. Proven at this club, so it feels more relief then anything else. So on that level, it's not as highly ranked as last time. 

But any promotion is a positive. Now we need to push for champions. Never underestimate the power of that and the feeling it will leave around the club after last season. 

It's big, but for completely different reasons 

1996 was the most dramatic but this was the most emphatic. I know we got 102 points in 2014 but until the late season wobble we were miles ahead. 

The difference now is that it feels like we belong and are considered a premier league club whereas in the past we were known as a yo-yo club. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

1996 was the most dramatic but this was the most emphatic. I know we got 102 points in 2014 but until the late season wobble we were miles ahead. 

The difference now is that it feels like we belong and are considered a premier league club whereas in the past we were known as a yo-yo club. 

4 minutes ago, Claridge said:

I feel a parade at the town hall would be a bit cringey, never felt like that with our other promotions

Think the reasons in the first post justify the thoughts in the second. Completely agree.

THE FIVE PREMIER LEAGUE PROMOTIONS

It's thirty years now since Leicester won the play-off final of 1994 to finally return to the top flight after seven seasons away. Football has changed massively since then, but the Championship remains an exciting and unpredictable league, if sometimes a little low on quality. So how does this promotion rank alongside the other four?

1993/94 - After knocking on the door for the previous two seasons Leicester finally sealed promotion in the play-off final. Strangely this had probably been the shakiest of the three seasons with only 2 wins in our last 12 in the league, but we perked up for the play-offs and beat Tranmere and Derby in what was amazingly our first ever win at Wembley to seal promotion. Unfortunately the squad wasn't strong enough for the Premier League and we were soon back for another promotion tilt.

1995/96 - Leicester had such a good start and finish to the season that it's easy to forget how dismal the mid section was. Martin O'Neill replaced Mark McGhee as manager in December, but his new ways were not instantly successful and after a wretched run of just 4 wins in 22 there was the infamous fan protest against O'Neill after a 2-0 home defeat to Sheffield United on 30th March 1996. That seemed to bring us to life and a late season burst of form saw us squeak into the play-offs with a Muzzy Izzet goal on the last day. After which a win over Stoke set us up for Claridge's legendary late winner against Palace at Wembley. This began O'Neill's highly successful four season spell in the Premier League with Leicester always hovering around 8th and winning two League cups to boot.

2002/03 - This is very much the forgotten promotion, though its importance is undeniable. Leicester were in administration at the time and not going up could have had very serious consequences. Though they were often dominant in games and went up comfortably in second place, the season was not without controversy. In those more lax days, Leicester suffered no points deduction and were allowed to keep all their best players after relegation the previous year. This was rightly questioned in several quarters and tighter rules were soon brought in. The Foxes had most definitely dodged a bullet on this one and while we only had one subsequent season in the Premier League, the cash injection was a life saver.

2013/14 - It's only in hindsight that everyone realised quite how good this team was. Many of the major players in the miracle season of 2015/16 were already in place - Vardy, Mahrez, Schmeichel, Drinkwater and Morgan and with only one defeat in our last 27 matches promotion was sealed with six games to spare. The next three seasons were quite remarkable as the Foxes did the great escape, won the Premier League and reached the quarter finals of the Champions League all on a relatively low budget by modern standards.

2023/24 - After a miserable relegation the previous season and a huge turnover of players Leicester still had a strong squad, but despite good results in the first half of the season Maresca's slow, possession based tactics weren't universally loved amongst Foxes fans. Cracks started to show in the second half of the season and some poor results threatened to push us into the play-offs. Plus Leicester were charged with overspending and would have had a transfer embargo placed on them had they remained in the Championship. Thus promotion became even more vital and thankfully a couple of good games plus the poor form of our promotion rivals finally got us over the line with two games to spare. Leicester will still have to sell some players to balance the books and may well face a points deduction in the Premier League, but the alternative would have been much worse. It's been a curious season, but it certainly feels a lot better than this time last year when we surrendered our Premier League place rather too tamely for many people's liking.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Thequickbrownfox said:

THE FIVE PREMIER LEAGUE PROMOTIONS

It's thirty years now since Leicester won the play-off final of 1994 to finally return to the top flight after seven seasons away. Football has changed massively since then, but the Championship remains an exciting and unpredictable league, if sometimes a little low on quality. So how does this promotion rank alongside the other four?

1993/94 - After knocking on the door for the previous two seasons Leicester finally sealed promotion in the play-off final. Strangely this had probably been the shakiest of the three seasons with only 2 wins in our last 12 in the league, but we perked up for the play-offs and beat Tranmere and Derby in what was amazingly our first ever win at Wembley to seal promotion. Unfortunately the squad wasn't strong enough for the Premier League and we were soon back for another promotion tilt.

1995/96 - Leicester had such a good start and finish to the season that it's easy to forget how dismal the mid section was. Martin O'Neill replaced Mark McGhee as manager in December, but his new ways were not instantly successful and after a wretched run of just 4 wins in 22 there was the infamous fan protest against O'Neill after a 2-0 home defeat to Sheffield United on 30th March 1996. That seemed to bring us to life and a late season burst of form saw us squeak into the play-offs with a Muzzy Izzet goal on the last day. After which a win over Stoke set us up for Claridge's legendary late winner against Palace at Wembley. This began O'Neill's highly successful four season spell in the Premier League with Leicester always hovering around 8th and winning two League cups to boot.

2002/03 - This is very much the forgotten promotion, though its importance is undeniable. Leicester were in administration at the time and not going up could have had very serious consequences. Though they were often dominant in games and went up comfortably in second place, the season was not without controversy. In those more lax days, Leicester suffered no points deduction and were allowed to keep all their best players after relegation the previous year. This was rightly questioned in several quarters and tighter rules were soon brought in. The Foxes had most definitely dodged a bullet on this one and while we only had one subsequent season in the Premier League, the cash injection was a life saver.

2013/14 - It's only in hindsight that everyone realised quite how good this team was. Many of the major players in the miracle season of 2015/16 were already in place - Vardy, Mahrez, Schmeichel, Drinkwater and Morgan and with only one defeat in our last 27 matches promotion was sealed with six games to spare. The next three seasons were quite remarkable as the Foxes did the great escape, won the Premier League and reached the quarter finals of the Champions League all on a relatively low budget by modern standards.

2023/24 - After a miserable relegation the previous season and a huge turnover of players Leicester still had a strong squad, but despite good results in the first half of the season Maresca's slow, possession based tactics weren't universally loved amongst Foxes fans. Cracks started to show in the second half of the season and some poor results threatened to push us into the play-offs. Plus Leicester were charged with overspending and would have had a transfer embargo placed on them had they remained in the Championship. Thus promotion became even more vital and thankfully a couple of good games plus the poor form of our promotion rivals finally got us over the line with two games to spare. Leicester will still have to sell some players to balance the books and may well face a points deduction in the Premier League, but the alternative would have been much worse. It's been a curious season, but it certainly feels a lot better than this time last year when we surrendered our Premier League place rather too tamely for many people's liking.

You mention that there were no points deduction following our administration in 2002/3. However, it’s also worth noting that if we had had ten points deducted, we’d still have been promoted as we finished the season 12 points ahead of Sheffield United in third. 

Edited by LanguedocFox
Changed 11 points to 12
  • Like 1

I think this something like my 6th promotion since I started following us properly around 87. This is the only time I’m not overly excited about the next season ahead. Don’t get me wrong I’m delighted we are going up, even more so as we clearly would have royally shafted had we not, but the uncertainty about next season with a possible point deduction(s) and a board that I simply cannot trust I’m just a tad apprehensive. 

In one way, it’s probably the most important but by equal factor, it gives justification for the management of the club to continue in a shoddy manner. 

Probably learnt this with seeing kids go nuts at the last two homes games, for them it’s pretty damp important and special. 

Next season going to be a right drag/task but it would even worse in the Championship 

Huge in terms of financial benefit and of course the chances of attracting better players than we would in the championship. 

I approached this season with caution given how many players were leaving/coming in, a new style and how likely the league is to trip you up at any moment. I think we’ve done really well.