Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

2001: A Space Odyessey

There's about 15 minutes worth of plot, and when I say plot I mean some not even half-explained story with no conclusion, which is essentially the director's half-arsed attempt to justify his artsy fartsy 2-and-a-half-hour cinematography experiment that is fine for a home movie but a bit of con for people who are wanting to see a film. I mean there are slow films and then there are slow films. People do all this research trying to find out what the meaning of this film is, but I don't think Kubrick had any idea himself.

I can imagine for people watching it in a theatre in the 1960s it was visually stunning and even groundbreaking at the time, and the subject of space was so mesmerising that films like this were all the rage, but it's not a piece of cinema that has stood the test of time at all. For anyone who's watched any decent modern films, this just doesn't compare in terms of entertainment.

Though, I do accept the presentation in some of the iconic scenes is very impressive, and it does well to reinforce my feeling that space travel is an extremely frightening thing. If you can view it in an artistic way and you're interested in it's influence in cinema and popular culture then it's probably worth seeing once. But it's not fair for it to be included in these lists of greatest ever films on nostalgia alone, because on so many levels it's just a complete bore and will do nothing for probably 70% of normal people.

Edited by Kitchandro
  • Like 1

2 more films over the weekend:

3:10 to Yuma - Western staring Christian Bale and Russel Crowe - Not a bad film but certainly nothing groundbreaking either. 6/10

The man from UNCLE - Guy Ritchie trying to recreate his earlier brilliance in lock stock and snatch but with the spy film format. Thought it was pretty shit to be honest, the lead was so wooden it was unreal and there wasn't that much going on. 4/10

Watched Wonder Woman last weekend- bit overrated in my eyes.  Some elements of the story worked well- WW1 era, Steve Trevor character and Wonder Woman's naiveness but I just felt the villian was bit disappointing and looked bit artificial against WW1 backdrop.  The worst thing about the film were god awful fight scenes- characters hang in the air mid pose for far too long like a bad martial arts movie.   

• 2 weeks later...

Woke up yesterday, after about 4 hours sleep, a hell of a hangover, and a severe dopamine imbalance.

My other half chose an afternoon film, Hachi: A Dog's Tale. "Why not?" I thought. "How bad can it be?"

How wrong I was. In the state of mind I was in it was a colossal mistake. I'm not usually the emotional type, but I was there near the end of the film, trying desperately to distract myself (with Foxestalk of all things) so that I didn't go into full emotional meltdown.

On 06/12/2017 at 23:34, separator said:

Quentin Tarantino to do a Star Trek movie... (maybe)...

http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-movie-jj-abrams-1202220032/

Samuel L Jackson to Kirk, "You god damn m****r f****r Kirk, you can boldly go where no m****r f*****g n****r has gone before"

My word. This has to happen.

Quite liked the last one, it had its problems but was still entertaining. Did what it needed to do as a reboot. Main issue was seeing it at the Odeon where it was ruined by atrocious projection and sound and a family of bellends behind me who wouldn't stop talking, buggering off halfway through the film to buy more popcorn and drinks and then having to take their incontinent little shits to the toilet 3 times in one film that they'd paid to see.

Very excited for this one tho.