Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Anyone else think that visuals in the Last Jedi trailer don't look quite right? To me they look too LOTR rather than Star Wars, I'm excited because Rian Johnson's been making all the right noises but I feel a bit underwhelmed at that. Conversely, Gareth Edwards got it absolutely spot on in Rogue One however I suppose that this trilogy is set what, 40 years later? Which does give a bit more license to change the aesthetics.

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

Anyone else think that visuals in the Last Jedi trailer don't look quite right? To me they look too LOTR rather than Star Wars, I'm excited because Rian Johnson's been making all the right noises but I feel a bit underwhelmed at that. Conversely, Gareth Edwards got it absolutely spot on in Rogue One however I suppose that this trilogy is set what, 40 years later? Which does give a bit more license to change the aesthetics.

I guess the shots of Rey on the cliffs look a bit LOTR-ish, thats not a bad thing though. The space battles look very prequel trilogy as well. Love the dark tone of the trailer, plenty of misdirects in it. That last bit with Kylo Ren and Rey looks like its cut from 2 separate scenes.

Just now, separator said:

I guess the shots of Rey on the cliffs look a bit LOTR-ish, thats not a bad thing though. The space battles look very prequel trilogy as well. Love the dark tone of the trailer, plenty of misdirects in it. That last bit with Kylo Ren and Rey looks like its cut from 2 separate scenes.

The smoke scene in TFA looked distinctly un-Star Wars to me as well, Star Wars has very unique iconography and I just didn't feel it from the trailer. Obviously it's hard to judge without having actually watched the film though.

On 10/10/2017 at 20:32, Trav Le Bleu said:

Absolutely this, except I didn't watch it in 3D, cos it isn't 3D, no film is and I just find the whole thing reminds me of looking through one of these...

220869171135.jpg

A masterpiece

Dude, normally I'd agree and I'm not a fan of 3D in the cinema with those passive glasses but this was SPECTACULAR. 

It added just a little bit of extra depth to some of the scenes and it was awesome - especially the stuff with the CGI etc. 

Go and see it again in 3D - why not! I'm going a second time this weekend! 

Thought Blade Runner 2049 was a bit meh really. 

No doubt the visuals and audio are excellent but the storyline didn’t really grip me. And 2 hours 45 mins was too long to keep me engaged throughout.

I can see why some people love it though. Each to their own...

• Like 1

On 10/16/2017 at 15:12, The Horse's Mouth said:

Hated the new blade runner, pacing was terrible and some of the acting was horrendous, can't get my head round why it's receiving such rave reviews

Ditto. Saw it yesterday and I'm still fuming. It did cross my mind that seeing it might end in disappointment as the original is one of my few favourite sf films as well but I couldn't foresee the proportions of it... I was with mates (also original BR fans) so at least we could grab a beer and vent out a bit afterwards...  It's unbelievable how empty and devoid of soul it is, compared to the original, it's like comparing a broken replicant to a real human being.. or a Vardy lookalike to the real article. I have tons of patience seen some really challenging movies over the years so usually can find a redeeming quality even in the most flawed ones, but this is just a textbook case of a poorly scripted genre flick trying way too hard to live up to the original/fanbase expectations, made - what is the most criminal thing of all imo - without a proper film editor on board (a one who would cut the empty, pointlessly dragged out scenes down to size) and a director who apparently isn't very good with actors. Oh and the music! I'd rather listen to Vangelis' dog farting noises all day than to this watered down, trying too hard to pass as a Vangelis piss-weak turd of a soundtrack. I could have a proper rant on what went wrong and how it could've been, but 1) nobody's paying me to review this crap 2) this abomination isn't worth any more of my time really

5 hours ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Ditto. Saw it yesterday and I'm still fuming. It did cross my mind that seeing it might end in disappointment as the original is one of my few favourite sf films as well but I couldn't foresee the proportions of it... I was with mates (also original BR fans) so at least we could grab a beer and vent out a bit afterwards...  It's unbelievable how empty and devoid of soul it is, compared to the original, it's like comparing a broken replicant to a real human being.. or a Vardy lookalike to the real article. I have tons of patience seen some really challenging movies over the years so usually can find a redeeming quality even in the most flawed ones, but this is just a textbook case of a poorly scripted genre flick trying way too hard to live up to the original/fanbase expectations, made - what is the most criminal thing of all imo - without a proper film editor on board (a one who would cut the empty, pointlessly dragged out scenes down to size) and a director who apparently isn't very good with actors. Oh and the music! I'd rather listen to Vangelis' dog farting noises all day than to this watered down, trying too hard to pass as a Vangelis piss-weak turd of a soundtrack. I could have a proper rant on what went wrong and how it could've been, but 1) nobody's paying me to review this crap 2) this abomination isn't worth any more of my time really

So you didn't like it then?

Just watched  Brawl in cell block 99  ....    its described as gritty but that really doesn't do it justice ...     Its uber gritty and not for the faint hearted ...    its actually got a bit of a story to it and its one of those films that 'develops' ...   If you liked Reservoir Dogs you'll probably like this ...   a little bit graphic so probably best not to watch with the mrs ...  kept me quiet ...   :)         8.5/10.

Watched eye in the sky over the weekend, been meaning to watch it for a while as it was Alan Rickmans last film before he died but the premise didn't really speak to me and thought it was going to be a bit boring.

well I was wrong, I ****ing loved it! Gripping all the way through and really interesting moral dilemma explored.

well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.