Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

36 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I agree that this isn`t the time for piggybacking on the current crisis to hammer home some mostly unrelated point, albeit environmentalism, veganism, etc.

However.

This crisis has shown what can be achieved with modifications to our way of going about our lives, and such changes would be best made and best observed taking some lessons learnt in this crisis.

We could use these lessons to provide changes to implement a reduced version of the restrictions evident within the lockdown, this would be for the good of the planet.

If we go back to exactly as life was before this crisis then we really are lost. :(

It’s not really us though. We’re like a mosquito on an elephant compared to the US and China. Is as a nation would be more than happy to make changes to help the environment. The Mrs. Business have already said they will work from home for half of the week, and only go into the office or travel when needed. We know once this is over countries like the US and China will smash their industry out again probably more so than before. We will never learn as a race as the larger more influential countries will continue to let us down. 

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

It’s not really us though. We’re like a mosquito on an elephant compared to the US and China. Is as a nation would be more than happy to make changes to help the environment. The Mrs. Business have already said they will work from home for half of the week, and only go into the office or travel when needed. We know once this is over countries like the US and China will smash their industry out again probably more so than before. We will never learn as a race as the larger more influential countries will continue to let us down. 

Agree.

They are the wrong examples in my mind though. We are not likely to be in competition with China or the US, more likely our European neighbours such as France and ideally Germany.

I already work at home and there are lots more that could, I just hope this bizarre unsettling time will give others who realistically can, a good impression of it and they are in turn given the opportunity to do so.

edit: Sorry, I took your comment in a different direction!

If we are talking environmental effects, then yes, we are small potatoes. The only way you can force the major polluters to adhere is to deprive them of capital as an economic penalty for their actions.

Edited by Dahnsouff

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Agree.

They are the wrong examples in my mind though. We are not likely to be in competition with China or the US, more likely our European neighbours such as France and ideally Germany.

I already work at home and there are lots more that could, I just hope this bizarre unsettling time will give others who realistically can, a good impression of it and they are in turn given the opportunity to do so.

edit: Sorry, I took your comment in a different direction!

If we are talking environmental effects, then yes, we are small potatoes. The only way you can force the major polluters to adhere is to deprive them of capital as an economic penalty for their actions.

I completely agree with you. Most offices really need not be open. Like I said the Mrs. Business hasn’t shut they haven’t had to furlough either as they’re in the food industry, but they’ve come to realise they use the office for its big plotter printers and as a HQ, but that’s it so they’ve decided to make big changes, where by they might only have a few people in the office at any one time. And rather than travel to meet clients use video chat. This has proven that we can run at a slower pace, I know a lot of the industry is shut down at the moment, but this shows that it is possible to work at home when practicable and we don’t have to break our necks on a daily basis. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

I agree that this isn`t the time for piggybacking on the current crisis to hammer home some mostly unrelated point, albeit environmentalism, veganism, etc.

However.

This crisis has shown what can be achieved with modifications to our way of going about our lives, and such changes would be best made and best observed taking some lessons learnt in this crisis.

We could use these lessons to provide changes to implement a reduced version of the restrictions evident within the lockdown, this would be for the good of the planet.

If we go back to exactly as life was before this crisis then we really are lost. :(

3 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Interesting discussion and always good to revisit it because it's so important.

My argument is that if the world burns, it doesn't really matter who exactly it was who lit the match - the effects will be felt by pretty much everyone and I really doubt the survivors will care. So, as much as the US, China, India and sundry others are the main contributors, pointing that out doesn't really do much and either giving up and/or not setting an example to follow is not an option we can feasibly consider if one has any kind of interest in the future. Even if it is hopeless, believing that and acting as such will simply make sure that it is, rather than it being merely likely.

This crisis has shown that humanity can live at least a bit more sustainably, but rather than regressing, advancing tech and innovating should be the way forward, and any nation should be chomping at the bit to set an example there.

• Like 1

Just now, leicsmac said:

Interesting discussion and always good to revisit it because it's so important.

My argument is that if the world burns, it doesn't really matter who exactly it was who lit the match - the effects will be felt by pretty much everyone and I really doubt the survivors will care. So, as much as the US, China, India and sundry others are the main contributors, pointing that out doesn't really do much and either giving up and/or not setting an example to follow is not an option we can feasibly consider if one has any kind of interest in the future. Even if it is hopeless, believing that and acting as such will simply make sure that it is, rather than it being merely likely.

This crisis has shown that humanity can live at least a bit more sustainably, but rather than regressing, advancing tech and innovating should be the way forward, and any nation should be chomping at the bit to set an example there.

Would be great to see this in action, easier said than done and needs a united movement:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52547885

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Would be great to see this in action, easier said than done and needs a united movement:

There is one way....

Project Fear II - This time its Environmental!

Seriously though, sign me up :thumbup:

(Note: I am not a scientist)

23 minutes ago, Nalis said:

18 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

There is one way....

Project Fear II - This time its Environmental!

Seriously though, sign me up :thumbup:

(Note: I am not a scientist)

Think this cartoon from The Economist sums it up well tbh:

20200425_WWD000_0.jpg

Thing is, I reckon we can lay down the knockout punch and manage climate change in a way that guarantees the future...but not if too many nations decide their own self-interest comes first.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

@leicsmac that is one scary picture 

Truth be told, the more one reads about it the more scary it becomes.

But...taking it on and managing to adapt either ourselves, the environment or the way we live (or a mix of the three) in order to continue live with good living standards is possible.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Truth be told, the more one reads about it the more scary it becomes.

But...taking it on and managing to adapt either ourselves, the environment or the way we live (or a mix of the three) in order to continue live with good living standards is possible.

Totally agree. The major thing in the way is that with capitalism or greed if you will (I have no issue with capitalism per se) it is difficult to stop large powerful emitters from getting their houses in order.

Unfortunately, although the SARS-CoV-2 situation will likely end or at least come into a manageable position, which would clearly be the target and wonderful, the rush to reclaim paused or lost revenue will be difficult for most countries to resist.

This is a real shame as the benefits of some of the changes made during lockdown could be fairly implemented, post lockdown, for the benefit of climate change.

@Pliskin I think mentioned that our emissions are very meagre compared to China and the US, but this is not ultimately relevant, as  a shift in perception here will lead to a environmental preference, which in turn will push supplier to take account of target markets, and you make a shift in perception through repetition and habit.

You don`t have to wait for an election to get your point across (Thanks capitalism) :thumbup:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Motorbikes with needlessly loud exhausts, especially at the moment. No one's impressed mate.

Cars too...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Motorbikes with needlessly loud exhausts, especially at the moment. No one's impressed mate.

So annoying, seems to be a lot around at the moment, they think they’re great everyone else thinks they’re a knob.

Also those car exhausts which make that loud backfire noise, absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

So annoying, seems to be a lot around at the moment, they think they’re great everyone else thinks they’re a knob.

Also those car exhausts which make that loud backfire noise, absolutely ridiculous.

I Wanted to put an exhaust, Manifold & muffler on My Electric Wheelchair ....

But my wife said I should be content that my fart echos & vibrates through the Rhine-valley,alot better than any artificial bling..

but I Need a catalyst to help the Environment & protect the Local fauna...:ill:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

People not understanding the 2m rule, in some cases people feel the need to have 10 metres spare infront of them queuing at a supermarket.

People don't get it at all. Hear a lot of complaints that someone passed them whilst they stopped to look at a product in a supermarket, or how they've had to walk in the middle of the road because they passed someone out running and they couldn't stay on the pavement and be 2m away.

The guidelines are and always have been 2m for 15 minutes or more. If you briefly pass someone in the street and you're within two metres its fine. If someone walks past you in the supermarket it's fine. When you are going to be one place for an extended period of time like queueing or sitting at your work desk then it clearly applies there, but briefly passing someone it does not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

People don't get it at all. Hear a lot of complaints that someone passed them whilst they stopped to look at a product in a supermarket, or how they've had to walk in the middle of the road because they passed someone out running and they couldn't stay on the pavement and be 2m away.

The guidelines are and always have been 2m for 15 minutes or more. If you briefly pass someone in the street and you're within two metres its fine. If someone walks past you in the supermarket it's fine. When you are going to be one place for an extended period of time like queueing or sitting at your work desk then it clearly applies there, but briefly passing someone it does not.

I didnt know about the 15 mins thing, when someone passes me in the supermarket i just hold my breath no idea why, just seems a good idea LOL.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I didnt know about the 15 mins thing, when someone passes me in the supermarket i just hold my breath no idea why, just seems a good idea LOL.

lol

Its what's they've said from the start. I actually think the one way system in supermarkets is pointless. Trying to march us round in a long queue doesn't work, and it just means we have extended periods of interaction with the same people, even if that is at a distance. I don't know about you, but I've never spend more than a minute stood in one place in a supermarket (unless I've bumped into a mate) so if I'm left to find my own way round I'm not going to be close to any individual for longer than a few seconds. The staff would be better used looking for friends who've bumped into each other and are having a chat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

lol

Its what's they've said from the start. I actually think the one way system in supermarkets is pointless. Trying to march us round in a long queue doesn't work, and it just means we have extended periods of interaction with the same people, even if that is at a distance. I don't know about you, but I've never spend more than a minute stood in one place in a supermarket (unless I've bumped into a mate) so if I'm left to find my own way round I'm not going to be close to any individual for longer than a few seconds. The staff would be better used looking for friends who've bumped into each other and are having a chat.

I don't get the one way thing either. I've been to Tesco once during lockdown, to the cigarette counter. The security guard then wanted me to walk all the way round the shop to get out, when I could just walk out of the door I'd come in. 

So many people don't understand the rules, or why they are in place. 

3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I don't get the one way thing either. I've been to Tesco once during lockdown, to the cigarette counter. The security guard then wanted me to walk all the way round the shop to get out, when I could just walk out of the door I'd come in. 

So many people don't understand the rules, or why they are in place. 

Walk all the way round, meaning you interact with more people and risk catching or spreading the virus even more. Ridiculous.

• Thanks 1