Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Yeah, the way that the fuzz often interact with citizens (depending on demographics) and thus the way a person should respond when "threatened" with them varies pretty wildly between the UK and many parts of the US.

Leaving to de-escalate things may have been the right and logical thing to do over in the UK, but I don't blame the guy for starting to film things given where he was and the situation he was in - he likely thought, with good reason, that things could get very ugly and having evidence of the situation was smart.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, the way that the fuzz often interact with citizens (depending on demographics) and thus the way a person should respond when "threatened" with them varies pretty wildly between the UK and many parts of the US.

Leaving to de-escalate things may have been the right and logical thing to do over in the UK, but I don't blame the guy for starting to film things given where he was and the situation he was in - he likely thought, with good reason, that things could get very ugly and having evidence of the situation was smart.

Exactly right. 

Like I said, I'm not trying to put this dude down for his reaction, for all I know it was spot on. 

It's more a general thing. I watched a video on reddit the other day, craziest shit I've ever seen. Group of kids playing in the street not giving a monkeys about traffic, woman shouts out her car wtf get out the street. Now if the video ends there it's all fine, kids have been told to stop being bells and that should be that. But from there it just goes absolutely bonkers, the kids start winding the woman up, the woman starts threatening to tell their parents, they wind her up some more and she ends up reversing *near* to them in a threatening manner. Doesn't hit any of them, or even get close. But it shows that when you stick a video on a situation, it can just turn into a situation that should just never existed in the first place. 

You can stop the video about 4 different times and end up with a bad guy, when the end result is all of them were being idiots for essentially no reason. 

I just don't get it. 

9 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Exactly right. 

Like I said, I'm not trying to put this dude down for his reaction, for all I know it was spot on. 

It's more a general thing. I watched a video on reddit the other day, craziest shit I've ever seen. Group of kids playing in the street not giving a monkeys about traffic, woman shouts out her car wtf get out the street. Now if the video ends there it's all fine, kids have been told to stop being bells and that should be that. But from there it just goes absolutely bonkers, the kids start winding the woman up, the woman starts threatening to tell their parents, they wind her up some more and she ends up reversing *near* to them in a threatening manner. Doesn't hit any of them, or even get close. But it shows that when you stick a video on a situation, it can just turn into a situation that should just never existed in the first place. 

You can stop the video about 4 different times and end up with a bad guy, when the end result is all of them were being idiots for essentially no reason. 

I just don't get it. 

That's fair enough too.

Of course, a video edited in the right way can tell pretty much whatever story one wishes, but given the amount of "unfortunate incidents" that occur between the police and black people in many parts of the US (that often end with a cushy suspension on full pay for the officer involved) I'd say that filming for the purposes of evidence even if you only think the fuzz are going to show is best simply in the interests of self preservation.

Edited by leicsmac

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Seems she may lose her job, possibly friends, become an internet pariah. May well end badly. Not a good ending after all.

Shouldn't do what she did in the first place then, to put it bluntly! 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Shouldn't do what she did in the first place then, to put it bluntly! 

No, she shouldn’t, not disputing that for one second. Would not want her dead either mind, better to get a life lesson and learn and return a better person.

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Seems she may lose her job, possibly friends, become an internet pariah. May well end badly. Not a good ending after all.

unfortunate..... but the guy couldve ended up dead.

• Like 4

This :( :( :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52806572

The FBI will investigate the death of a black man in the US state of Minnesota after a video emerged showing a policeman kneeling on his neck.

In the footage, the man, believed to be in his 40s, is heard groaning and repeatedly saying "I can't breathe" to the white officer.

The Minneapolis Police Department said it was responding to a reported crime.

The incident echoed that of Eric Garner, a black man who died being arrested in 2014.

Garner was placed in a chokehold and uttering the words "I can't breathe" nearly a dozen times.

The phrase became a rallying cry for activists protesting alleged police brutality against people of colour in the US.

The Minnesota Police admitted that the man in the footage filmed on Monday died after a "medical incident" in a "police interaction".

He was suspected of committing a forgery, meaning to have been fraudulently altering or making a false reproduction of a product.

At a press conference on Tuesday, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey described the incident as "completely and utterly messed up".

"I believe what I saw and what I saw is wrong on every level," Mr Frey said. "Being black in America should not be a death sentence."

It is the latest accusation of US police brutality against African Americans. Recent high-profile cases include an officer in Maryland who fatally shot a man inside a patrol car.

The incident in Minneapolis on Monday evening began after officers located the man in his car, police said in a statement. They were told the man, who has not been identified, was "sitting on top of a blue car and appeared to be under the influence".

After being ordered to step away from the vehicle, the man physically resisted officers, according to police. "Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress," the statement added.

In the 10-minute video filmed by a witness, the man is kept on the ground by the officer and, at one point, says: "Don't kill me".

Witnesses urged the officer to take his knee off the man's neck, noting that he was not moving. One says, "His nose is bleeding", while another pleads, "Get off his neck."

The man then appears motionless before he is put on a stretcher and into an ambulance.

Police said no weapons were used during the incident and that body camera footage had been handed to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, which is investigating the case. Two of the officers involved have been put on paid administrative leave.

After the video emerged, police said in a statement: "As additional information has been made available, it has been determined that the Federal Bureau of Investigations will be a part of this investigation."

Speaking to US media on Tuesday, Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said the force's policies "regarding placing someone under control" will be reviewed as part of the probe.

The FBI did not respond to a request for comment.

Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar - reportedly shortlisted as Joe Biden's running mate - issued a statement calling for a "complete and thorough outside investigation."

"Justice must be served for this man and his family, justice must be served for our community, justice must be served for our country," she said.

"I can't breathe" became a national rallying cry against police brutality in the US after the July 2014 death of Eric Garner.

Garner, an unarmed black man, uttered the phrase 11 times after being detained by police on suspicion of illegally selling loose cigarettes. They were the final words of the 43-year-old, who died after a police officer placed him in a chokehold.

A city medical examiner ruled the chokehold contributed to Garner's death. The New York City police officer involved in Garner's deadly arrest was fired from the police force more than five years later, in August 2019.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Awaits a certain poster coming on to defend it. 

"If he didn't want to die he shouldn't have put his neck under the policeman's knee. Only has himself to blame."

'He could have walked away from the policeman's knee but chose to confront the knee instead...'

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, StanSP said:

'He could have walked away from the policeman's knee but chose to confront the knee instead...'

All jokes aside absolutely shocking policing there. If thats not some sort of murder then the world should just end now.  Pathetic abuse of power that has cost a man his life regardless of what he may have been accused of.

2 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

All jokes aside absolutely shocking policing there. If thats not some sort of murder then the world should just end now.  Pathetic abuse of power that has cost a man his life regardless of what he may have been accused of.

Rumour has it, the same "officer" has killed shot people in the past

Edited by ozleicester

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Rumour has it, the same "officer" has killed shot people in the past

It's ridiculous. Over here a copper fires a tazer and has to review and support his usage of it.

Its staggering that US 'officers' seem to cause large numbers of deaths through racial discrimination and nothing is ever done. Waiting for the gun supporters to use this to promote gun carrying. 

What grinds my gears are folk who steal milk bottles from doorsteps. Today, I was late collecting mine, and found that one bottle had gone. To my surprise, Amazon don't sell lockable milk bottle holders. Maybe I could make money by filling what appears to be a gap in the market for such things!

7 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Glad to see the police commissioner already sacked them.  Prosecution should follow for the officer/s who killed him.