Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

I ****ing hate Americanisms in our sport. It seems a willing dumbing down of our fine sporting culture. 

I saw the use of the word 'unwinningest' in the paper today. A development of the 'winningest' I've seen used lately. 

Why are people doing this? It's grammatically stupid and it even appears horrible to the eye. 

What's wrong with people? 

I cannot for the life of me find a landscaper to do our driveway. I have now had 4 blokes come and quote only to go totally radio silent. I know they have far more work than they need right now but this is still very frustrating the way they treat potential customers. I guess they can just go quote and then pick and choose what they want to do. I feel like I'm constantly being led on.

26 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I cannot for the life of me find a landscaper to do our driveway. I have now had 4 blokes come and quote only to go totally radio silent. I know they have far more work than they need right now but this is still very frustrating the way they treat potential customers. I guess they can just go quote and then pick and choose what they want to do. I feel like I'm constantly being led on.

I've heard these fellas are good:

boys.jpg

7 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I ****ing hate Americanisms in our sport. It seems a willing dumbing down of our fine sporting culture. 

I saw the use of the word 'unwinningest' in the paper today. A development of the 'winningest' I've seen used lately. 

Why are people doing this? It's grammatically stupid and it even appears horrible to the eye. 

What's wrong with people? 

Language has always been a process of development and evolution. If that wasn't the case we'd still be talking in the old Anglo-Saxon English.

5 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Language has always been a process of development and evolution. If that wasn't the case we'd still be talking in the old Anglo-Saxon English.

That does not mean that every evolution is organic, necessary, or should be accepted without question. 

Calling successful or not successful using the term 'winningest/unwinningest' isn't an evolution we should be championing. Its a devolution. 

5 hours ago, Parafox said:

I can just imagine Vardy now when he received THAT ball from Mahrez against Liverpool thinking with his Shakespearean English....

"Is this a volley which I see before me. The ball toward my foot. Come, let me smash thee!"

• Haha 3

On 13/08/2021 at 15:17, Footballwipe said:

The replies under this FB post from our good friends at Leicestershire Live. Absolutely terrifying what old white people actually want to do to this country. Terrifying.

Some golden, and some worrying stuff:

- MPs working for minimum wage

- STOP ILLEGALS

- Capital punishment

- NATIONAL SERVICE (when none of these people have done national service. Funny that.)

- "we need to deal with all who defend illegal immigrants"

- Cut footballers pay (aka end capitalism)

image.png.1bf57debf22da633def2baa15ad51ba6.png

It's so cliched, isn't it? BAN THE FORRINURS, SEND THE BRATS INTO THE ARMY, DON'T PAY PEOPLE GOOD MONEY, DON'T PAY THE UNEMPLOYED ANY MONEY and so on.

And then they wonder why nobody takes them seriously.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Receiving gifts/presents.

It must be an inherent genetic fault in my DNA I reckon. It actually annoys me.

I've received some seemingly wonderful things from family and friends down the years and I'll say 'Thanks, but you really shouldn't have.'

I mean it: YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE!

Those same gift givers are well aware of my feelings on the subject and will say, 'Please don't moan but I've bought you this'.

Arghhhhh.

I've come to the conclusion that it is they that benefit from buying me something I don't need. But honestly, what's the point if I am not going to appreciate it.

It's not ingratitude on my part; it's more a total lack of acceptance by others that I'm ok thanks, I really wish you wouldn't do this.

I can't even pretend anymore that I like what someone has bought me. It'll go in a drawer, in a cupboard under a chair etc. and remain unused.

I'll then get a bollocking. 'You've never used/opened that...... (insert unwanted gift name here)'.

Whats to do with it then? I'm ungrateful if I still dont use it. Ungrateful if I give it to someone. Ungrateful if donating it to a charity shop

He's an idea. Please don't bother.

Agreed. I've always hated receiving presents too. I don't mind at Christmas as I only buy for my mum, but any other time of the year I hate it. I genuinely have no imagination when it comes to buying gifts. 

On 17/08/2021 at 19:15, tom27111 said:

The way that people emphasise the H when saying "vehicle".

Noticed it loads on TV and Radio lately. 

It's annoying and there's no need for it.

Yet another Americanism / mispronunciation that's polluted our speech :ph34r:

Ocado just for you.

Possibly the most annoying ad ever. I am usually a mild mannered forgiving sort but I really want to punch that guy singing square on the nose.

It's done its job, I can't get the flipping tune out of my head but I will NEVER buy anything from Ocado, EVER.

1 minute ago, boots60 said:

Ocado just for you.

Possibly the most annoying ad ever. I am usually a mild mannered forgiving sort but I really want to punch that guy singing square on the nose.

It's done its job, I can't get the flipping tune out of my head but I will NEVER buy anything from Ocado, EVER.

Phillip Schofield and Webuyanycar.com certainly rivals this.

Edited by Wymsey

On 16/08/2021 at 09:27, Adster said:

Tell you something that really fvcks me off. When someone on Twitter says "I just did a thing"

JUST SAY WHAT YOU WANT TO SAY YOU IDIOT

It's like the old vaguebooking attention seekers which thankfully I don't see much of these days. I binned off all the willy pullers who kept doing it. 

"I don't know what to do anymore" 

"I'm so annoyed" 

"How is this still happening?"

4 hours ago, RoboFox said:

It's like the old vaguebooking attention seekers which thankfully I don't see much of these days. I binned off all the willy pullers who kept doing it. 

"I don't know what to do anymore" 

"I'm so annoyed" 

"How is this still happening?"

"OMG Can't believe it. It's just me and my lil soldier from now on"

"U ok babe?"

"Can't say, inbox me hun."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1