Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

2 hours ago, Bert said:

Parents that let their kids watch phones/tablets in a restaurant whilst eating. 

Second this. I despair when i see alot of children with thick glasses aged 4/5 years old, this might be controversial but i see this a failure of parenting. Yes exposure to technology is needed but there is a time and place for it, the dining table isn't one. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Second this. I despair when i see alot of children with thick glasses aged 4/5 years old, this might be controversial but i see this a failure of parenting. Yes exposure to technology is needed but there is a time and place for it, the dining table isn't one. 

People are born with eye conditions. I've known children wear glasses before that age, including my sister, who's now 40, so that had nothing to do with looking at ipads etc. I have always worked in an office, I'm always looking at my phone or my laptop and I watch far too much TV. I'm 38 and don't need glasses, and have excellent vision.

Screens have nothing to do with eyesight, or rarely do. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

How can you think its because of screen exposure when they're 5 years old lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

So just to be clear, you think children who wear glasses at the age of 4 and 5 are a result of a failure in parenting? :nigel:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

It’s bad. Was out having lunch with my lad and the table behind us the kid has got baby shark blaring out. Obviously he wants that rather than his lunch. Just doesn’t sit right with me at all. 

One of our friends first child has really thick glasses because they were “give the iPad to keep to quiet” parents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

So just to be clear, you think children who wear glasses at the age of 4 and 5 are a result of a failure in parenting? :nigel:

I wouldn’t say it’s a failure in parenting myself. Some kids have bad eyes. But some kids have bad eyes through being glued to an iPad day in day out. 

3 hours ago, peach0000 said:

Non fitted sheets. I'm in a hotel room I'm not allowed to leave for 21 days and I have non fitted sheets. They are a nightmare to put on and never stay in place, really overly irritating when there's such an easy solution!

Are you under house arrest?

What TV channels are available?

21 days is facking long time especially with loose sheets. You need to learn "hospital corners".

Decorating. I fvcking hate it. 

And I always manage to get covered in paint.

I was super careful last week when painting the utility room - finished, packed away and no mess...looked down at my feet where a big splodge of paint had just appeared. Looked up to see if it was dripping from the ceiling...nope.

Turned out I'd managed to get paint up the leg of my shorts*...and it was dripping down on to my feet and the floor. 

Today I've just finished the kitchen door...sanding, cleaning, two coats of primer and two of topcoat...it's taken a day...for a fvcking door :mad:. I've got 6 more to do plus the hall. finished today without too much mess, went to put the lid on the can of paint and it splattered everywhere - over me (obviously), the floor, the walls and the kitchen units. 

Absolutely hate it with a passion. 

* Yeah, I have no idea how, either.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Milo said:

Decorating. I fvcking hate it. 

And I always manage to get covered in paint.

I was super careful last week when painting the utility room - finished, packed away and no mess...looked down at my feet where a big splodge of paint had just appeared. Looked up to see if it was dripping from the ceiling...nope.

Turned out I'd managed to get paint up the leg of my shorts*...and it was dripping down on to my feet and the floor. 

Today I've just finished the kitchen door...sanding, cleaning, two coats of primer and two of topcoat...it's taken a day...for a fvcking door :mad:. I've got 6 more to do plus the hall. finished today without too much mess, went to put the lid on the can of paint and it splattered everywhere - over me (obviously), the floor, the walls and the kitchen units. 

Absolutely hate it with a passion. 

* Yeah, I have no idea how, either.  

And this is why God made @Webbo

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

Are you under house arrest?

What TV channels are available?

21 days is facking long time especially with loose sheets. You need to learn "hospital corners".

Haha no. I’m in hotel quarantine in China. It’s mandatory when you enter the country. I’m already on day 12 though. In terms of tv channels the normal state tv ones in mandarin but there is an English language news channel (exciting). I also have WiFi so it’s not all bad.

Oh and believe me I’ve spent the last few hours trying to learn hospital corners lol

Edited by peach0000
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bert said:

I wouldn’t say it’s a failure in parenting myself. Some kids have bad eyes. But some kids have bad eyes through being glued to an iPad day in day out. 

I don't think that's true.  Looking at a screen for a long time might make your eyes a bit sore in the absence of a blue light filter in the product or use of software like f.lux, but I think the stories of screens actually damaging your eyesight is an old wives tale like drowning because you didn't wait long enough after eating.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I don't think that's true.  Looking at a screen for a long time might make your eyes a bit sore in the absence of a blue light filter in the product or use of software like f.lux, but I think the stories of screens actually damaging your eyesight is an old wives tale like drowning because you didn't wait long enough after eating.

Surely if you look at a screen too long, just munch a ton of carrots, that'll sort you out lol

3 hours ago, Bert said:

Myth: Staring at a computer screen all day is bad for the eyes.

Fact: Although using a computer will not harm your eyes, staring at a computer screen all day will contribute to eyestrain or tired eyes. Adjust lighting so that it does not create a glare or harsh reflection on the screen. Also, when you're working on a computer or doing other close work such as reading or sewing, it's a good idea to rest your eyes briefly every hour or so to lessen eye fatigue. Finally, people who stare at a computer screen for long periods tend not to blink as often as usual, which can cause the eyes to feel dry and uncomfortable. Make a conscious effort to blink regularly so that the eyes stay well lubricated and do not dry out.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/safeguarding-your-sight

• Like 4

I'm not a parent so can sit in quiet judgement about kids and iPads, phones etc but the things I find are the lack of social interaction as a result of being on phone, and over reliance on it as a behaviour tool to quieten them down.

Tell you what though, how many couples do you see out for a meal, bar, pub, restaurant etc who are themselves buried in their phones? They'll be sat there with a drink or food and it's like they're sitting with a stranger, lost in their phone. Suspect I've fallen foul of that sometimes, so will admit to hypocrisy on occasion, but just feels... sad

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Tell you what though, how many couples do you see out for a meal, bar, pub, restaurant etc who are themselves buried in their phones? They'll be sat there with a drink or food and it's like they're sitting with a stranger, lost in their phone. Suspect I've fallen foul of that sometimes, so will admit to hypocrisy on occasion, but just feels... sad

You don’t know, they might be texting each other.

That wouldn’t be sad at all.