Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

On 20/08/2021 at 20:47, bovril said:

Never really understood the grief that wine enjoyers get. Even the uninitiated can tell the difference between different types of red or white, just like even a novice beer drinker can taste the difference between a very hoppy pale ale, a light bitter or a mild. Seems to be another example of a section of British society being terrified of looking 'pretentious'. 

adverb, 

attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed. 

It's the people who look down on me and my 5 quid bottle of 'plonk' I dislike. 

They'd enjoy a bottle of piss if it had the right lable and cost £35

Edited by woollett the bullet
Spellin

Does it bug anyone else when the word “scores” is used, specifically in relation to deaths? ie. Like on Newsnight tonight, “Scores of people have been killed in a Kabul suicide bombing”. Given they need a word, I wish they’d use “Dozens”, which has a similar sort of meaning and impact but without making it sound like some kind of sporting achievement.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Does it bug anyone else when the word “scores” is used, specifically in relation to deaths? ie. Like on Newsnight tonight, “Scores of people have been killed in a Kabul suicide bombing”. Given they need a word, I wish they’d use “Dozens”, which has a similar sort of meaning and impact but without making it sound like some kind of sporting achievement.

Dozens would probably range from 36 to 48, scores from 60 to 80.

The same reason why tens wouldn't be used. It would downplay the figures. 

If it was used in a headline, a summary or an opening of a report, I'd say that it was used in the correct context before going more in-depth in the main report or further on in the report.

I can understand why it might sound insensitive though as it isn't a phrase that's really used a lot, aside from circumstances like this.

Edited by tom27111

On 24/08/2021 at 18:51, Parafox said:

We went to Leamington last weekend to visit the lovely park and the glasshouse. Every nearby car park we tried was cash only/pay by phone. The process of downloading the app and then registering my car and then my debit card failed twice. We left and came home. Ridiculously outdated tech. They want tourists, get up to speed.

Haha recently in Snowdonia I was busting for a 💩 after a long walk, made it to the toilets only to find I needed 30p to get in, we scraped together the 30p, (easier said than done when I’d not been carrying cash) put my money in and the door never opened 🥺, panic stations with my iffy belly, fortunately 3 kind women came out of the ladies and took pity on my poo plight and held the door to the ladies open for me!

After just a little persuasion I found myself having a poo in a ladies toilet in Wales, whist my girlfriend stood guard!

We then held the door for another desperate fellow who had the misfortune of following me in 😂 

The point being it’s bad enough to pay to use a toilet especially nowadays when not everyone has cash. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DanNDH88 said:

Fvck me, if I see another post about Ronaldo to us or how he might not get in over Perez...

They seemed to be asking all the Premier League managers today about him "joining" their club.

"Yeah we called him, waiting for the response lol, will he like it in Watford haha?"

2 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Haha recently in Snowdonia I was busting for a 💩 after a long walk, made it to the toilets only to find I needed 30p to get in, we scraped together the 30p, (easier said than done when I’d not been carrying cash) put my money in and the door never opened 🥺, panic stations with my iffy belly, fortunately 3 kind women came out of the ladies and took pity on my poo plight and held the door to the ladies open for me!

After just a little persuasion I found myself having a poo in a ladies toilet in Wales, whist my girlfriend stood guard!

We then held the door for another desperate fellow who had the misfortune of following me in 😂 

The point being it’s bad enough to pay to use a toilet especially nowadays when not everyone has cash. 

Was in Bakewell a few weeks ago and had cause to visit the town "conveniences". It was a pay to enter thing that cost 20p but amazingly, I could pay by contactless card!

• Like 1

Internet comments.

Irony, I know, but people commenting on a topic knowing nothing.

I've just been advised that my kettlebell sport lifting doesn't meet powerlifting requirements...........

On 27/08/2021 at 17:08, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Not knocking your predicament or the general point about toilets but surely people should be more responsible / savvy about carrying a little bit of cash these days.