Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

7 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It might as well have been to be honest. You sit and watch video from even early premiership years and the game is practically unrecognisable.

Titles won decades ago, let alone generations ago, are pretty much irrelevant when discussing modern football.

History and tradition, does mean alot, Past   glories are rightly there to be remembered and cherished, as an older

and more experienced man of this world, one can appreciate, and show respect and admiration to those eras.....

Its what gives, builds and makes, gives substance and expresses the emotion and pride in all discussions and banter,

that then moves the ride of expectation in the future..

Thats why what our beautifull amazing club's success and triumph of last  season, blows an hole into the Psych of

any credance that experts pundits, try to exhuberate through their  poor Stagnant static opinions.

Its the same through all walks of life, never forget the past, but dont hang on to it as though its the only Gospel..!!!!

Your sentiments are so true, whether its through ourselves, or others we move things forward, strive towards not just

the single targets, but enjoy the chase and journey towards enjoying the improvements and development of the future.

Remember ones history of tradition  and success, by all means but never be jealous of your peers and others achievements.

Evolution is only true if one also appeciates the moments in the present and that journey into future unknown.

Showing disdain to either future generations, or Other folks achievements is the spite dressed in false pride.

I am o f that age, but I have so far, kept my "Grumpy old man"  tendencies in check.

Simple  really,

Not my fault everything used to be better when I was young...:P but then again its the duty of us winklies to carry

that banner, and the duty of youth to believe and carry their dreams and visions  Beyond .

To prove to the Last generation, their eras were not paths to the inevitable

end, but another door to the next beginning.....:D

Edited by fuchsntf

4 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

History and tradition, does mean alot, Past   glories are rightly there to be remembered and cherished, as an older

and more experienced man of this world, one can appreciate, and show respect and admiration to those eras.....

Its what gives, builds and makes, gives substance and expresses the emotion and pride in all discussions and banter,

that then moves the ride of expectation in the future..

All true but that also engenders a sense of entitlement. Many fans and Clubs still believe that heritage is more important than the here and now. After all i saw on Sky Sports last season a Spurs fan, with a straight face, that Spurs should win the title because of their heritage.

15 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It might as well have been to be honest. You sit and watch video from even early premiership years and the game is practically unrecognisable.

Titles won decades ago, let alone generations ago, are pretty much irrelevant when discussing modern football.

Sad to think our title win will be irrelevant by 2040.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C-man said:

Sad to think our title win will be irrelevant by 2040.

That's life. Not for one moment suggesting the memories won't still be special for us (if we're still alive!) but if we're back as a tinpot shit club and some melt born in 2020 is giving it the big ones to, I dunno, Watford fans while 22 players with twice the pace and fitness of our current lot, playing a game we don't even recognise, do battle?

Going to be pretty ****ing irrelevant.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Finnegan said:

That's not what we're discussing though is it?

Tottenham have been champions of England in the past, that's a matter of fact. Same with Burnley and whoever else we wrongly decide to sing that too this season. Singing anything that suggests otherwise makes our supporters look like utter morons.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

That's not what we're discussing though is it?

Tottenham have been champions of England in the past, that's a matter of fact. Same with Burnley and whoever else we wrongly decide to sing that too this season. Singing anything that suggests otherwise makes our supporters look like utter morons.

Oh, I don't disagree, I've made the same point. I hate that chant.

I was just being glib because you just HAPPENED to pick the date 1992. 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

That's life. Not for one moment suggesting the memories won't still be special for us (if we're still alive!) but if we're back as a tinpot shit club and some melt born in 2020 is giving it the big ones to, I dunno, Watford fans while 22 players with twice the pace and fitness of our current lot, playing a game we don't even recognise, do battle?

Going to be pretty ****ing irrelevant.

I'm not sure we ever were a tinpot shit club, but we have certainly underachieved throughout our history. Hopefully we can continue to build- maybe the title will mean we can establish ourselves as a more consistent top flight outfit and by 2040, we will have more than just 2016 to brag about.

• Like 1

tbf i'd be surprised if there are any burnley or spurs fans who have genuinely ever sung champions of england. been nearly 60 years since either of them won it and they're never gonna win it again. so most their fans probably never will sing it. 

• Like 1

Dont particularly like the chant but as I understand it is 'you'll ' never sing that. 

So those of us that understand basic English, know that this means 'you will'. 

So therefore it matters not one iota what any team has won in the past.

The chant refers to the future, not the past. 

So singing it to the Burnleys, Spurs and shitty teams that won it half a frigging century ago and who never look like winning it again, is not just acceptable but imperative after the years and years our fans have heard chants about us never winning fook all. Jeez.

change the word 'will' to 'have' and the whiners may have a point.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, truebluethroughandthrough said:

Dont particularly like the chant but as I understand it is 'you'll ' never sing that. 

So singing it to the Burnleys, Spurs and shitty teams that won it half a frigging century ago and who never look like winning it again, is not just acceptable but imperative after the years and years our fans have heard chants about us never winning fook all. Jeez.

You're just too clever for a lcfc forumlol

1 hour ago, truebluethroughandthrough said:

So whats the odds of us winning it in the future then.

54 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Last 25 seasons for them:

12 seasons with European football
1 Champions League before this season
10 season finished in bottom half
9 seasons in top 6
5 League Cup finals - 2 wins
6 appearances at Wembley (2 of which FA Cup SF)

2 trophies

Us:
5 relegations
5 promotions
3 league titles
8 appearances at Wembley
2 League Cups

7 trophies
3 seasons of European football
1 new stadium
Almost ceased to exist
Almost changed our name
Changed owners twice
Had 18 managers
Banned 2 Frenchmen from ever taking penalties
Suffered more heartbreak than they could ever comprehend
Registered our lowest ever league position
Registered our highest ever league position
Pulled off the greatest ever escape from relegation
Our striker broke a goalscoring record
Defied 5000-1 odds to write the greatest sporting story ever
Set a new English record by winning first two games of Champions League
One of only 5 clubs to win their first 3 games ever of Champions League

I wouldn't swap my Leicester City for any other club. 

Here's where consistency comes into play - they're just good at maintaining a consistently high league position (without really setting the world alight in recent seasons).

And that's when the expectations start to ruin everything - see TFC for further studies.

The question remains: If there wasn't a Manchester United, a Manchester City, an Arsenal or Chelsea or Liverpool - would they be able to win it or throw it on the last few yards again still?

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

9 seasons in top 6

2 trophies

&nb

2 hours ago, truebluethroughandthrough said:

All I will say is do you ever hear anyone else singing "you'll never sing that" at fans of clubs who have already won it.

No, you don't.

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

9 seasons in top 6

2 trophies

Us:
5 relegations
5 promotions
3 league titles
8 appearances at Wembley
2 League Cups

7 trophies
1 new stadium
Almost ceased to exist
Almost changed our name
Changed owners twice
Had 18 managers

Amen.

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 01:37, Manini said:

I agree but it's a bit of a farce that Kane didn't get shortlisted for the Ballon'dor and Vardy did. You can wear the bluest of blue tinted specs but you have to admit that's a bit wrong. Just like you can't fluke winning the league after 38 games, you can't fluke bring the top scorer either. 

Yeah but the Ballon d'or is for the best player in the calander year.

At times last season Vardy was just unplayable. Unstoppable. He was one of the best players in the World during 2015.

I really don't think you could say the same about Kane. He had a good season and he was consistent - but during 2015, could anyone say that Kane ever looked like a world class player? 

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Until some club smashes and knocks it out of our grasp....blow the odds.The future is bright as they say...:scarf:

I was replying to the 

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Us:
5 relegations
5 promotions
3 league titles
8 appearances at Wembley
2 League Cups

7 trophies
1 new stadium
Almost ceased to exist
Almost changed our name
Changed owners twice
Had 18 managers

God I'm desperate for the FA Cup now, other than winning League two (I'm fine with missing out on that one thanks), to know we'd pretty much seen our club win the lot within say 30 years would be incredible. What more could you ask? The drama we've been through all adds to the amazing feeling when you actually pull something out of the bag.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, truebluethroughandthrough said:

I've said this elsewhere, I get the point but the point is wrong non the less.

If you walk up to a Spurs fan and say "you'll never win the league" a comment relating to the future not the past,  what do you think their snap, automatic response will be "we already have". 

If you put the word Again in somewhere, it probably holds some weight, but as that word is absent, it becomes a puerile and easy chant to respond to if your club has won the league.

"You'll never sing that"

"We already have"

Just makes us looks stupid. As with everything in life it's not how you mean to come across that matters it's how you actually do come across. 

8 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Does it matter what anyone else does?

It's a good guideline as to whether it's a good idea or not in this case.

Come on, we'd all be ripping the shit out of Man United if they sang "Champions of England, you'll never sing that" at Liverpool wouldn't we? But by some folks' logic on here, it'd be OK for them to do that.

33 minutes ago, Babylon said:

God I'm desperate for the FA Cup now, other than winning League two (I'm fine with missing out on that one thanks), to know we'd pretty much seen our club win the lot within say 30 years would be incredible. What more could you ask? The drama we've been through all adds to the amazing feeling when you actually pull something out of the bag.

I tried making the point to a Liverpool fan a few years ago, that unless you go through a certain amount of misery while following your football club the high moments won't mean as much; he just didn't get it, and still felt some measure of entitlement. On the night we won the league he posted on Facebook: "A little over five years ago I was sat in Arizona talking with urban.spaceman about the subject of supporting a team with lower expectations and how that meant rare success was enjoyed more (e.g. winning the 1997 Football League Cup Final). Well, today that team are champions of England. I finally understand what he was banging on about. Congratulations Leicester!"

I'd love an FA Cup too.