Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Milton Keynes Fox

Scenario

132 members have voted

1. 1. Which?

• Option A
    • Option B

the difference is so great you'd have to do B, which would leave you, your kids and grand kids set for life, again though you're looking at it as a fan, when its your job you have to look at it dispassionately, but carry on ignoring the point

No you don't? £15,000 a week is a massive amount of money so whatever the difference is you don't have to take the better paying job. I can see why people would, but personally I couldn't do it. Playing for the club you love, still earning a massive amount of money and not having your private life dragged through the press like you would at a big club, I'd say that's the best thing you could do for your kids and grandkids.

No you don't? £15,000 a week is a massive amount of money so whatever the difference is you don't have to take the better paying job. I can see why people would, but personally I couldn't do it. Playing for the club you love, still earning a massive amount of money and not having your private life dragged through the press like you would at a big club, I'd say that's the best thing you could do for your kids and grandkids.

Paul Scholes had his private life dragged through the press did he?, the Neville brothers? Beckham and the Rooney's chose to court the press, as did Cheryl & Ashley Cole so they get what they deserved after that, Steven Gerrard and his wife aren't in the press all the time either. You want to live privately you can regardless of which club your at.

And if you really turned down 10 times the wages your agent would have you sectioned as would your family

I chose A, the money is irrelevant, 15k a week is a ridiculous amount of money, also if I am worth the big money move then I am clearly going to be one of the best players in the team, people talk about achievement, but for me it would be a greater achievement to win the FA cup for the first time with Leicester than win the champions league with Man U.

The other thing is I really don't think I could play for Man U, Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool, so it would have to be Spurs or Arsenal, for me to even consider it, I would be more tempted to play abroad if Valencia (my Spanish team) came in for me, I would find it very hard to turn down...

...but of course there are always caveats, if I'm not happy at Leicester for whatever reason, twatish fans, cvnt of a manager, or one of the players knobbed my missus, I would leave, the other thing that would piss me off is if the club had no ambition, and sold off all the other good players and were trying to sell me for the money, because the bank balance is more important than winning things, then I would go, but if they were trying to strengthen the squad and we were improving and winning games then I can't really see any reason why I would want to leave.

A more interesting question as same scenario, you are Leicester on 15k, regular starter 4 year contract, and the club does a Wimbledon and moves (lets say to Jersey for tax reasons), would you carry on playing for them (15k a year tax free), leave for Coventry, Derby, Forest as the closest geographical club, or play for the Leicester phoenix club for the equivalent of a 15k a year salary?

Option A.

I'm really not that money motivated, £15k a week is still an extremely good wage to live a superb life on, playing for my own club.

Then again option B isn't bad, at least there's the experience of playing for a top club, and by top club I'm not referring to someone like Anzhi who can pay that money but on the whole are an absolute embarrassment.

Depends on a whole lot more than money.

Ideally i would play for Leicester, but depends........ have we got a sh!t team, a cr@p manager who isnt capable of organising a side and a truckload of kn0b head fans who boo me each week? Fook it then, ill go an play for Liverpool and then when my career is over i would flirt brielfy with a return to Citeh..only to fook off to play for a quality championship side like..umm... well, lets say Hull? :ph34r:

Bollocks... i would play for any club that will pay me enough money to be a pro footballer. :thumbup:

Shoot me down in flames if you so wish, but I actually think I'd like to play for City.

Let's look at it... 15 k every week after tax makes 7.5k per week. That's 30k per month thus equalling 360 k per year.

150k every week equates to 300k per month thus 3.6 million per year.

Now let's be about right... Who needs 3.6 million a year? What on earth would you do with it? Surely there comes a point when you've have got so much money that there is literally nothing left to do in the world?

Most people could quite happily do everything that they wanted to do, in life, on 360 grand per year.

You can buy a great house, have great cars, have great holidays, send your kids to private school if you wish to AND play for your hometown club and work as hard as you can to give them success.

This is why I don't get the really big earners 'haggling' over an extra million or two per year. What on earth will it matter if you are being paid 150k per week, rather than 130k per week.. It's so much money that it's almost ridiculous.

The only real reason I can see someone wanting to gain as much wealth as possible right from the start is if they are afraid they might get a serious injury after a couple of years or so, so need to make as much money as quickly as they can, just in case.

But if you earn 360k over say, ten years, that's 3 mill 600 thou... More than enough money to have a very comfortable life, especially if sensibly invested.

We live in a completely money orientated world, which I think, is a shame because morals and ethics and certainly any concept of loyalty go completely out the window. Look at the recent banking scandals as a great example.

Then again, I'm a public sector worker, earning not a lot, so I guess 15k or 150k.... Either is merely a pipe dream.

I genuinely think this...

'earn' 150 k per week or score the winner for Leicester City from 30 yards in the FA cup final? Actually, the latter would give me more long term satisfaction I reckon. But that's just me.

Top post that is Col, whole-heartedly agree and I seriously think money's a huge root of evil.

This. This. and This.

150k a week? I wouldn't know what to do with it, I'd probably give most of it away.

Shoot me down in flames if you so wish, but I actually think I'd like to play for City.

Let's look at it... 15 k every week after tax makes 7.5k per week. That's 30k per month thus equalling 360 k per year.

150k every week equates to 300k per month thus 3.6 million per year.

Now let's be about right... Who needs 3.6 million a year? What on earth would you do with it? Surely there comes a point when you've have got so much money that there is literally nothing left to do in the world?

Most people could quite happily do everything that they wanted to do, in life, on 360 grand per year.

You can buy a great house, have great cars, have great holidays, send your kids to private school if you wish to AND play for your hometown club and work as hard as you can to give them success.

This is why I don't get the really big earners 'haggling' over an extra million or two per year. What on earth will it matter if you are being paid 150k per week, rather than 130k per week.. It's so much money that it's almost ridiculous.

The only real reason I can see someone wanting to gain as much wealth as possible right from the start is if they are afraid they might get a serious injury after a couple of years or so, so need to make as much money as quickly as they can, just in case.

But if you earn 360k over say, ten years, that's 3 mill 600 thou... More than enough money to have a very comfortable life, especially if sensibly invested.

We live in a completely money orientated world, which I think, is a shame because morals and ethics and certainly any concept of loyalty go completely out the window. Look at the recent banking scandals as a great example.

Then again, I'm a public sector worker, earning not a lot, so I guess 15k or 150k.... Either is merely a pipe dream.

I genuinely think this...

'earn' 150 k per week or score the winner for Leicester City from 30 yards in the FA cup final? Actually, the latter would give me more long term satisfaction I reckon. But that's just me.

Save up and buy the club?

Option B

even if you took option A, you will want to improve your money situation - the more you have the more you want.

I remember dreaming about 100 quid a week, then 200, then 500, then 1000 was a huge amount but now ???

Depends on other players and ambition. If you're part of a tight team, you're making a difference and with the fans behind you, then option A.

If you're treading water, the club is mismanaged, the fans miserable etc, then take the bigger offer. It would spoil your love of the club after a while.

Don't think we really begrudge Lineker the choices he made? Panned out pretty well for him...

My heart says A but my head says B, although 15k a week is more than enough to live a comfortable life with the nice houses and sports cars, at the end of the day 7.5k (15k after tax) sounds great but a football players career doesn't long. 15 years at 7.5k would get around 5.4 mil which sounds amazing but that will have to see you through the rest of your life.

My heart says A but my head says B, although 15k a week is more than enough to live a comfortable life with the nice houses and sports cars, at the end of the day 7.5k (15k after tax) sounds great but a football players career doesn't long. 15 years at 7.5k would get around 5.4 mil which sounds amazing but that will have to see you through the rest of your life.

Why does a footballers 'working life' have to stop when they are 35 yrs old? (or about 42 in the case of Brad Friedel lol)

If a footballer is sensible they will pursue a second career whilst they are still playing.

There's tons of examples of footballers who have become coaches, managers, set up their own businesses both at home and abroad. Eg Glenn Hoddles footballing academy in Spain.

Many go into punditry... Working on the tv or local radio for example... And actually continue to earn well. I read recently that Alan Hansen gets paid 40k for each match of the day he appears on...

There seems to be this belief that a footballer, in terms of earning capacity has a shelf life of about 15 years... This isn't true, if the player themselves is sensible about their future whilst still playing.

It only takes a bit of sensible investment and some forethought.

And some luck of course... I can understand that if a player picks up a serious injury early on this can then scupper their footballing career.

The ones who voted B are IMO the ones who indirectly kill football. Not trying to be self righteous but somethings plainly wrong if theyd choose chimps league football for a club they have no feeling for over playing for the club they love.

A. All day long, that's still a ridiculous amount of money and I wouldn't want to play for an English club other than Leicester (unless I wasn't good enough for City in this hypothetical situation.)

Agree with these.

I'd happily live on minimum wage to play for City actually.

I'd play for Leicester for nothing but if you can get 150 grand at Man City you may as well. In 10-12 years time the fans and club will forget you and they'll be more concerned with how that shít left back cant pass the ball to save his life.

All players play for money - there are no players you can name who have turned down a big move to stay with mid Div 2 plodders, they would probably go if the money was the same!! If you think that any of the players we have play for City because they support also think again - hence, take the money Option B

I would have loved to have been good enough to play for Leicester and 15k a week is more than enough to live on and the fact that say United might pay me all that money wouldn't really influence my decision, however IF the old Rangers, Barca or Lazio had come in and offered me champions league football and an increase on salary then I would have to say I would have liked to go try another league and lifestyle.

They are the only clubs I could see myself having left for, that and Torquay aged about 36.

Not that i've thought about it.

B for me, to be honest. Not for the money, but to play in the champions league and other top competitions. I'd probably play for Leicester when I was nearing the end of my career though.

I like Leicester, but I like myself even more. My career would come first.

Why does a footballers 'working life' have to stop when they are 35 yrs old? (or about 42 in the case of Brad Friedel lol)

If a footballer is sensible they will pursue a second career whilst they are still playing.

There's tons of examples of footballers who have become coaches, managers, set up their own businesses both at home and abroad. Eg Glenn Hoddles footballing academy in Spain.

Many go into punditry... Working on the tv or local radio for example... And actually continue to earn well. I read recently that Alan Hansen gets paid 40k for each match of the day he appears on...

There seems to be this belief that a footballer, in terms of earning capacity has a shelf life of about 15 years... This isn't true, if the player themselves is sensible about their future whilst still playing.

It only takes a bit of sensible investment and some forethought.

And some luck of course... I can understand that if a player picks up a serious injury early on this can then scupper their footballing career.

But in that case you are advocating option B, you are more likely to get a successful media career if you play for a high profile club, then I guess you could stay local take the Steve Walsh route and trade off your name as a Leicester legend, which you would be if you stayed at the club 10-15years, especially if you were good enough to leave and didn't.

Saying that I guess it didn't do Matt Le Tissier too much harm in his post career role as pundit.

Saying that I guess it didn't do Matt Le Tissier too much harm in his post career role as pundit.

He did regularly score Premier League goal of the season though, and made Southampton most people's second club while he was there...

But in that case you are advocating option B, you are more likely to get a successful media career if you play for a high profile club, then I guess you could stay local take the Steve Walsh route and trade off your name as a Leicester legend, which you would be if you stayed at the club 10-15years, especially if you were good enough to leave and didn't.

Or try a bit of spot fixing in your playing career to bolster your retirement fund :ph34r:

Archived