Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Ghost in the shell = a big, stinking pile of dog turd.

Scarlett Johansson is fit, but that's about it.

Visually impressive, but overall not for me. 3/10

8 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Ghost in the shell = a big, stinking pile of dog turd.

Scarlett Johansson is fit, but that's about it.

Visually impressive, but overall not for me. 3/10

Was always going to be compared to the original.

I want to see the powers that be try and re-make Urotsukidoji,,,,,would be immense.

20 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Not seen it yet but I have seen the 3 anime movies, 4 OVAs, 2 series so I'm interested to see which story or stories they use.

Normally this guy gives good reviews :)

This dude obviously knows his onions and if you're into this kind of genre, then you'll probably love Ghost in the Shell.

I didn't know anything about Anime and had no idea what I was going to watch as my wife dragged me along. It's not really my cup of tea but I can see why people who are interested in this type of stuff would enjoy it.

He's right about one thing for me though - it is visually very impressive. The CGI is incredible and the way they've created this world is stunning. But that's about where the enjoyment ended for me. I did like watching 'Scar Jo' running around semi-naked ish but that's just because I'm an old perv :thumbup:

Saw Life yesterday... Enjoyable sci-fi horror set on the ISS, where they discover simple alien life from a Martian probe returning to Earth. It owes a hell of a lot to Alien but in zero gravity and a very different antagonist. Don't want to give anything away but I absolutely loved the ending, thought it was rather unique for this day and age and made sure the film stayed in my mind for much longer than it would have if it had had a standard modern ending.

Worth your money IMO. 

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Saw Life yesterday... Enjoyable sci-fi horror set on the ISS, where they discover simple alien life from a Martian probe returning to Earth. It owes a hell of a lot to Alien but in zero gravity and a very different antagonist. Don't want to give anything away but I absolutely loved the ending, thought it was rather unique for this day and age and made sure the film stayed in my mind for much longer than it would have if it had had a standard modern ending.

Worth your money IMO. 

Saw the trailer for that last night and thought it might be worth a watch, will make sure I see this one. Cheers.

Arrival

One of those modern Sci-Fi films with a really unoriginal plot (visitors from another planet, the government pick some randomer off the street with an amazing gift to help them (you know the sort of thing we'd all wish would happen to us so we can feel like we have some sort of worth) but the US army are in charge and generally discredit all her work and want to start shooting aliens because they're too thick to understand what's going on) which tries to put a really original twist at the end but you just end up saying 'so what?'.

My view was that somebody was really interested in a certain theory (I'm not going to give away the specifics cos it would ruin the end) and that they wanted to use it to make a twist in a film. When a film is built around the ending alone it often makes the rest of the plot pretty slow and predictable and that left the ending, which they wanted to put so much emphasis on, a bit meaningless and to be honest it left me with more questions than answers about the preceding hour and a half.

Whilst a clever basic idea to build a film around in principle, it ended up being just a bunch of stuff happening (and by bunch I mean not much) without really leaving a hard hitting message or truly entertaining me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

The Mask classic this!!

They don't make films like this any more

You mean comic book movies :)

I would not be surprised if they were to reboot the Mask but I doubt they would do a comedic version again but you never know, I always used to bypass the comics on the shelf and buy mostly Marvel and Valiant titles but the Mask always looked pretty dark from the covers and Dark Horse comics were often affiliated with darker stories.

I loved Ghost In The Shell, went to see it today.

Having watched the Anime many, many years back, I sort of knew what to expect. And I thought the adaptation holds up well, the makers have remained pretty true to Masamune Shirow's vision. Thanks to CGI, it does work. The dark tone, the tragedy, the human soul vs. mechanic power argument, cybernetics, love, life, sacrifice (losing your humanity in exchange for technology), ... There's so much in this.

Scarlett Johansson is a perfect fit. And this movie needs to be seen in 3D, simply because of the world in which the story is set.

Took the opportunity to rewatch Jagged Edge after MOTD last night.

They don't make thrillers like they used to anymore, keeps you guessing right until the final scene.

On 02/04/2017 at 22:08, MC Prussian said:

I loved Ghost In The Shell, went to see it today.

Having watched the Anime many, many years back, I sort of knew what to expect. And I thought the adaptation holds up well, the makers have remained pretty true to Masamune Shirow's vision. Thanks to CGI, it does work. The dark tone, the tragedy, the human soul vs. mechanic power argument, cybernetics, love, life, sacrifice (losing your humanity in exchange for technology), ... There's so much in this.

Scarlett Johansson is a perfect fit. And this movie needs to be seen in 3D, simply because of the world in which the story is set.

I dunno, it was okay. A bit shallow, I thought. The originals are very conversational, very thought provoking. There's more philosophical dialogue than bullets, even when Batou gets his own film for Innocence.

This was just a CGI bullet fest with some incredibly basic brain-swapping scifi tacked on for good measure, done as simply as possible so as not to confuse a mainstream cinema audience.

It looked fantastic but it was just a little hollow.

Few minor niggles:

Scarlet Johansson's weird attempt at a butch robot chav walk, why? Unnecessary in character terms and strangely distracting. Just walk normally.

The alleged "whitewashing" didn't bother me all that much but I do think the city could have done with more Japanese filler other than just the yakuza. Fringe characters like the bin lorry driver, the call girl with the plastic on her face, the executives in the first business meeting, all could have been Japanese.

The city having a cosmopolitan feel? Great. The city feeling like New York with a few Asian bits of neon? Disappointing.

Guest seanfox778
2 hours ago, rico said:

Looks pretty mental! Will there be a climax to all these Marvel films? I think it will start to bug me if the actors get replaced, can't see RDJ playing Iron Man many more times for example. 

5 hours ago, rico said:

I'm such a fanboy for his work but i'm delighted Taika Waititi is getting a pop at a "blockbuster" film, fingers crossed it's a good one

Saw Paterson (9/10) yesterday and really enjoyed it, the more I see Adam Driver - the more I like his work, the film really hinges on his performance so much and he plays it perfect for me as the bus driver/wannabe poet called Paterson in Paterson, NJ. It was lovely as well to watch a film where I didn't have any idea of where it was going, it was both as spectacular and unspectacular as life can be on different days in small-town USA - but overall it's such a departure from what you normally see nowadays - and plays out very delicatly while subtily dealing with a whole range of subjects - it's right up there as a top film.

the Young Offenders (9/10) a really pleasant surprise this one, it's on Netflix now so check it out. It's a comedy about two "chavs" (for lack of a better word) living in Cork, Ireland who decide to try and make a better life for themselves via trying to rob some cocaine that has come ashore from a shipwreck off the coast. The performances from everyone are great, script is bang on, funny but moving - it's got a real dramatic underbelly and stability to the film that follows it through all the humour and only allows you to love the characters that bit more.

Not so good - Ab Fab - the Movie (3/10) I laughed a couple of times and i've always loved the characters in Ab Fab but it just didn't seem to all click together right, no complaints with the performances, they were fine - it just didn't translate well into a good film, the script itself could have been better and just felt a reworking of things we have seen before - it made me think of Zoolander 2 at points (not a good thing) with all it's cameos.

Just watched two films. War on Everyone. A comedy about two corrupt cops dealing criminals by taking a cut of the spoils and beating them up. Funny in parts.Best dialogue exchange with their chief after being reprimanded for beating up a fellow officer.

Officer: But he was being a racist pig.

Chief: We are the police, you are surrounded by racist pigs.'

Helious Scifi A rescue spaceship is sent to find out on a previous ship where the crew had not been heard of. Not too bad but a similar theme to others in the genre.

17 hours ago, seanfox778 said:

Looks pretty mental! Will there be a climax to all these Marvel films? I think it will start to bug me if the actors get replaced, can't see RDJ playing Iron Man many more times for example. 

I have heard that in comics,  the Avengers is essentially a rotating line up so there is superheroes stepping out and into the team.  I think Phase 2/3 were partly about introducing new superheroes in the team (Ant Man,  Doctor Strange and Black Panther) to replace those who are leaving because actors who play them had enough.  I will not be too surprised to see Iron Man and Captain America leaving because I think RDJ and Evans have indicated that they may have enough of playing their roles.  

On 10 April 2017 at 22:28, seanfox778 said:

Most of the original lot have their contract up after infinity war, so they'll likely kill a few off and bring in the new ones they're pushing like black panther, dr strange and I think a ms. Marvel movie is scheduled as well.

Cate Blanchett as Hel looks pretty good - is she lokis bastard daughter in the comics too?