Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Bournemouth Promoted To Premier League

Great achievement. Can see them being highly plucky opponents next season and scaring opponents but ultimately falling short.

I reckon Watford could do alright personally.

Would they be the smallest club (however you care to define that) to play in the Premier league / top flight in modern era?

Wimbledon were a non-league club who stayed in the top flight for years with home crowds of four or five thousand.

'The club lost £15.3m in the financial year ending July 2013 and in total, their net debt is just over £15.5m. They only just passed Financial Fair Play regulations earlier this season.'

Just saying ................

Exactly, they haven't exactly done this on a shoe string... they have been spending just as much as any of the other top championship sides. Still well done to them, but kind of reminds me of Portsmouth...

Bournemouth spent a bit of money but i would like to see if what they spent was more than teams in the Championship with their parachute payments. I somehow doubt it. Their investment probably got them to the Championship but Eddie Howe has got them to the Premier League. Amazing achievement and fair play to them.

The league having played out as it has been, does anyone think we would've still stormed it? I do. I think it's been so close because nobodies been exceptional.

No team has run away with it this season, that's for sure - whether that's down to a lack of quality, or because the top teams are evenly matched in terms of quality, who's to say? We finished 11 points clear of the highest possible points total for the league this year, and that's largely because we didn't drop silly points left right and centre. If you look at the teams around the top, they've all lost games that they shouldn't have really lost.

That's what makes the Championship one of the best leagues to watch IMO though, it's so fiercely competitive!

The teams coming up from the Championship this season will go straight back down well for me they will.

Can't see any of then troubling 17th upwards. It is vital we stay up this season and should we stay up we will be a Premiership club for a few seasons to come!

Erm, Callum Wilson cost £3 million plus add ons which'll no doubt come into effect now...

It's a great achievement for what has always seemed to be quite a likeable and inoffensive club, but lets not pretend this is a fairytale - they've spent some cash to get to where they are.

I've read that most of their transfers have been covered by £6.25m from the Llalana sell on and getting rid of Grabban for around £3m.

Am I right in saying that Dean Court will be smallest capacity in the top flight ever? I know Blackpool was small but at least they added an extended stand.

I believe Boundary Park only holds about 10,000.

People are saying about smallest club etc but don't forget the likes of Barnsley and Oldham have played in the Premier League.

I've read that most of their transfers have been covered by £6.25m from the Llalana sell on and getting rid of Grabban for around £3m.

Didn't Lallana come through the Southampton youth system. Even if Southamptonpoached him from Bournemouth's academy at 14/15 I highly doubt there'd be that much attached in sell on fee's.

This provides a little bit of information on their rise.

http://www.cityam.com/214581/how-bournemouths-promotion-push-was-funded-russian-millionaire

Fantastic job overall by Howe regardless. Having the capital there is one thing, but using it wisely and putting together a team that can get promoted is another thing entirely. Plenty have had the funds and done very little with them.

In terms of playing style, they make the game look so easy. Work the ball into the channels and have both players on either flank working hard backwards and forwards. A lot of quick one touch passing with every player looking comfortable on the ball and always having passing options available.

It's quite basic and they may come unstuck against teams with more quality who play with 3 in the middle. I'd expect Howe to sign well again though and buy players that fit into his philosophy, much like Pearson tries to do.

I believe Boundary Park only holds about 10,000.

People are saying about smallest club etc but don't forget the likes of Barnsley and Oldham have played in the Premier League.

Oldham wasn't an all seater stadium back in 1992 though. See here their attendances, including 17k for Man United's visit. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992%E2%80%9393_Oldham_Athletic_A.F.C._season

Barnsley also held around 17-18k, and Swindon a similar number, when they were in the Premier.

With a capacity of 12k, I'd say Dean Court is by far the smallest ground to grace the Premier League.

The teams coming up from the Championship this season will go straight back down well for me they will.

Can't see any of then troubling 17th upwards. It is vital we stay up this season and should we stay up we will be a Premiership club for a few seasons to come!

I imagine they'll all start off well and then fall away. Watford could survive, I imagine now they're premier league their owner will switch most of his attention to Watford. This could mean a bunch of top Udinese players 'cancel' their contracts and sign for Watford for free or something shifty. 

I imagine they'll all start off well and then fall away. Watford could survive, I imagine now they're premier league their owner will switch most of his attention to Watford. This could mean a bunch of top Udinese players 'cancel' their contracts and sign for Watford for free or something shifty. 

I think it's actually the son of the Udinese owner that runs Watford. I may be wrong though. I'm 50/50!

I think it's actually the son of the Udinese owner that runs Watford. I may be wrong though. I'm 50/50!

Yes - We might get players from Granada rather than Udinese as the former look like going down from La Liga (feel a bit bad as we probably took their best striker!)

It has been suggested we might be looking at the domestic market as well but admit we will probably use our "partnership" to maybe bring in players...hopefully better than most of the bunch we had last season and even this season the likes of Layun and Parades have struggled at times.

As for Bournemouth - well done to them - a great achievement.

Are people seriously belittling Bournemouths achievements because they have a spent a few bob, so far in line with FFP I might add?

Do we have memories at all of our own rise out of the championship?

I think the contention is that it is viewed as a fairytale. It's a fantastic achievement that has happened due to favourable income streams compared to similar sized clubs, I don't think the little Bournemouth tags really applies.

Having money is one thing though, spending it wisely, putting a squad together and playing excellent football, holding a nerve in a very tight promotion race is to be admired.

Archived