Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Ben Chilwell

Kingy's record doesn't read like that. I watched his goals video and don't believe Drinkwater could have scored hardly any of them. Yet we've virtually nullified King as an attacking threat.

Drinkwater hardly ever scores. He's one of those nearly guys who just hits the ball and it flies over, wide or straight at the goalkeeper. King thinks about his finishing and it pretty lethal given the chance and in all sorts of ways. Watch the video yourself if you disbelieve me.

Furthermore his results record is impressive and so to his pass completions - higher than Drinkwater when I last looked but I don't think there's much in it.

For me King's been allowed to lose his sense of purpose and he needs to get it back. I still think he's a bit short of his potential best but how a club can reduce a double-figure goalscoring midfielder to next to nothing is beyond me because his goals would have been goals at any level. Almost all of them were one or two touches.

People talk about giving people confidence but we've wrecked Kingy's in my view and turned him into a functional footballer instead of a guy who makes a difference. The Cup match against West Ham was like a blimpse into the past and only reflected how much we've wasted the guy.   

King is a better finisher than Drinkwater, I've no doubt about that.

His pass completion rate is also probably higher - but equally, I'd argue his passing style is less adventurous and he is more likely to go sideways or backwards.

Ultimately, I think if he played, he probably would score more than Drinkwater - but not enough to justify his inclusion as a goalscorer.

In terms of all-round midfield play (including winning the ball in the air, attacking passing, closing men down), I'd say Drinkwater is clearly the better option for us at the moment.

It's a shame because it's not as if King isn't a talented footballer, he just doesn't have the skills to play as the kind of central midfielder we need. And if we changed the set-up of the side to best reflect his skill set, I don't think the reward we'd get would be big enough.

Playing to Vardy's strengths this season has been a great move by CR. But I'm not sure that doing the same for King would really help us.

Chilwell should stick with us instead of going to the player farm that is Chelsea. 4 years with them, 0 appearances, 2 seasons on loan at Vitesse and they sell on for a profit somehow.

Tbf if he wants to play for England under Hodgson, he has more chance of doing that sitting in Chelsea's reserves than he does playing week in week out for Leicester.

• 3 weeks later...

I can see him leaving, why else would he not have signed a new deal yet? Bit of a shame as he seems like he's got great potential.

Agent might of told him to wait a few weeks, get in some good performances and watch that contract offer increase once other clubs come sniffing....

I doubt we'd have effectively put him in the shop window by allowing him to go out on loan if we weren't confident he was going to stay on

Or we know he's going so we let him perform at a good level to bump up the tribunal fee.

Is he better than Schlupp/Fuchs though? Better to let him get his game time keep him sharp an that, got enough good talent wasting on the bench at the moment

I have no doubts he's better than Schlupp.

Archived