Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

Premier League Season 2016-17 Stuff it in here.

10 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Wooooah there Wookie !! .....      I'll bet you a shiney pound it damn well will be repeated ! ...          (and you know the odds I want  :)).

Specifically I meant it won't be repeated elsewhere!

4 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

It's turning into Doctor Who at Watford keep changing the lead actor nearly every season, of course it'll be another Italian going there. Can't see Ranieri going to be honest think there a little too small for him, would Capello going there be impossible? 

Watford too small for Ranieri but not small enough for Capello? you back on the drink mate lol

It does feel like that Mourinho has made Man Utd one of the most dull and unconvincing sides a big club with their budget has produced.

Their season can be defined as a failure if they lose in the Europa League final, a League Cup triumph and 6th place is disappointing based on their past successes and tradition.

Are United fans happy with their last two seasons? The impression I get is that they are not.

But they've won the FA Cup, the League Cup, and potentially will win the Europa League. How can you be unhappy with 3 trophies in 2 seasons? It's not the Premier League trophy or Champions League trophy, but it's still silverware, it's more than most clubs get.

8 minutes ago, FireFox said:

Are United fans happy with their last two seasons? The impression I get is that they are not.

But they've won the FA Cup, the League Cup, and potentially will win the Europa League. How can you be unhappy with 3 trophies in 2 seasons? It's not the Premier League trophy or Champions League trophy, but it's still silverware, it's more than most clubs get.

I think it's more to do with the dull and boring football that Van Gaal and Mourinho have had them playing. 

10 minutes ago, FireFox said:

The fact they aren't close to winning the 2 most prized trophies is why they aren't happy, utd don't see themselves as just another club though, they're used to winning the top prize.  Nothing wrong with wanting to be the best and being unhappy when they fail.  And Rob's correct it is the style of play that's a big problem.

5 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

The fact they aren't close to winning the 2 most prized trophies is why they aren't happy, utd don't see themselves as just another club though, they're used to winning the top prize.  Nothing wrong with wanting to be the best and being unhappy when they fail.  And Rob's correct it is the style of play that's a big problem.

I understand that.

I just would have expected them to realize that since losing Sir Alex Ferguson, they are either (a) in a transition period - and yet still winning the 'lesser' trophies - or (b) not actually the best club in England anymore and shouldn't be "wanting to be the best and being unhappy when they fail" - they should have more realistic expectations.

It's not just that though, they haven't at any stage been in contention for the title. If they were in the title race and lost in the last few games I think they would be happier than they are now without having won.

25 minutes ago, FireFox said:

Mourhino's not far off with them... they get a couple of additions over the summer (Bale and Griezman) that helps them unlock doors and they'll be a horrible team to play against.

The squad that Van Gaal built and Mourhino inherited was so imbalanced (very questionable defence, lacking midfield, questionable striker overload) it needed a season to evolve it. Trying to do it in one window would have been too risky. 

16 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Mourhino's not far off with them... they get a couple of additions over the summer (Bale and Griezman) that helps them unlock doors and they'll be a horrible team to play against.

The squad that Van Gaal built and Mourhino inherited was so imbalanced (very questionable defence, lacking midfield, questionable striker overload) it needed a season to evolve it. Trying to do it in one window would have been too risky. 

I've seen quite a few people say they're not far off but to me they are. How many players in that team can you truly say are good enough to play for United? 

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I've seen quite a few people say they're not far off but to me they are. How many players in that team can you truly say are good enough to play for United? 

De Gea, Bailly, Valencia, Herrera, Pogba, Rashford, Martial and Ibra. There's still a lot of work to do and they've spent poorly but if they turn their draws into wins which they're capable of doing then they can certainly challenge. Arguably Mourinho is the biggest problem currently and not the squad, they're not attacking enough.

Just now, Wookie said:

De Gea, Bailly, Valencia, Herrera, Pogba, Rashford, Martial and Ibra. There's still a lot of work to do and they've spent poorly but if they turn their draws into wins which they're capable of doing then they can certainly challenge. Arguably Mourinho is the biggest problem currently and not the squad, they're not attacking enough.

OK De Gea is leaving, Valencia and Ibra are coming to the end of the careers, Pogba has been nothing more than average and Rashford is too young to have too much responsibility. They have some decent players don't get me wrong but do they have enough players to turn these draws into wins?

Agree about Mourinho, loved him at Chelsea but he's becoming a parody of himself

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

OK De Gea is leaving, Valencia and Ibra are coming to the end of the careers, Pogba has been nothing more than average and Rashford is too young to have too much responsibility. They have some decent players don't get me wrong but do they have enough players to turn these draws into wins?

Agree about Mourinho, loved him at Chelsea but he's becoming a parody of himself

That's the thing though to win the league you don't need to have fantastic players in every position if you're outstanding collectively. Victor Moses, Wes Morgan and Shinji Okazaki aren't title winners iusually but when they're part of a defensively resolute system that creates enough then a league title isn't out of reach. Mourinho hasn't got this United side playing better than the sum of its parts but he's capable especially if he loosens the reins a tad.

Just now, Wookie said:

That's the thing though to win the league you don't need to have fantastic players in every position if you're outstanding collectively. Victor Moses, Wes Morgan and Shinji Okazaki aren't title winners iusually but when they're part of a defensively resolute system that creates enough then a league title isn't out of reach. Mourinho hasn't got this United side playing better than the sum of its parts but he's capable especially if he loosens the reins a tad.

He needs to loosen them a lot. There is potential in the squad no doubt but I think Mourinho stifles it with too much tactics if that makes sense 

26 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Agree with this... but what United don't quite have yet is the number of special players you need alongside the supporting cast to get them over the line... and that's shown simply by the number of draws this season. Pogba didn't show much this year and Ibra as good as he is can imbalance a side in other areas. 

I also ponder whether that shown mentaility wise, the squad is a bit weak - possibly why Mourhino is having a go at people like Shaw and doesn't really fancy Darmian / Smalling, by the looks of things.

Mourhino may have got lucky with Zlatan's injury too... because it may lead him to trust Rashford more going into next season.

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

I will not miss Mazzarri's Italian-style, non-English post-match interviews. lol

It's crap really.

As many of our imported players have found, it doesn't take *that* much effort to just ignore the interviewer's question and pop out the local lingo for:

I very appy

Team plays very well first half

Second half is difficult

We try to win

Is very positive

In fact, if you add "we dream" and "zlowly", it pretty much sounds like the full Ranieri repertoire.  

Learning a phrase or three in another language isn't that difficult.

Archived