Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes21

Okazaki = Class

• 2 months later...
Guest CityFan 06

The title describes his performance yesterday, great again I thought. His technical ability and ball control is superb, he links the play up so well. 

I've been very critical of him many times but I thought yesterday he had one of his best games for us. He even ma aged to stay on his feet and not fall over despite the horrendous torrential rain. 

More of this please, Shinji.

I've said since last season that he's a big part of Vardy's success and improvement.

He's not a striker, really, he's more of a midfielder and he creates a lot. Not in terms of direct assists but in terms of linking up play he's brilliant.

He also closes down everything that moves and is constantly looking to drive on.

I disagree that we need an improvement and I'm actually uncomfortable with us shoe-horning another striker in to play his role. Every time we try we lose the balance of the side.

Very good team player and no BS over a contract this summer, he is here, does his best and looked genuinely chuffed with what was accomplished last season, the pic of him on the bus holding the cup said a lot.

Starting to think Okazaki and Albrighton are our two most important players, we never look the same when they are not on the pitch even with just 20 mins to go when they have both been subbed off. They just give this team the perfect balance.

Maybe most important is a stretch :D but they are up there with Mahrez, Vardy & Drinkwater. 

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Oh and for all the jokes about him falling over, this season so far he looks fitter, stronger, faster and more balanced. He looks like he's worked harder in pre season than everyone else.

I think that's why he was so good yesterday. Instead of falling to the ground every time he was touched he stood up to the challenges and rode them very well.

Criminally underrated. As Finnegan above mentioned, I don't really see him as a striker. Pearson allegedly brought him in as a hard working number 10 to link midfield with attack and he does that role well. Ranieri has developed a system where certain roles are essential for us to function. I think the most essential are the fast clinical forward (Vardy), the ball winning midfielder (hopefully this is Amartey this season), the "quarterback " (Drinkwater) and the outlet which is Okazaki. He often wins the ball high up and keeps it or allows the team to come forward. But ugly at times but it's our style and it works!

1 hour ago, Bryn said:

We don't play as well without him. Same with Albrighton. 

Correct. It's frustrating and a bit worrying too because in terms of quality they look replaceable. But we saw again yesterday how fragile we are as a team without them.

54 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Starting to think Okazaki and Albrighton are our two most important players, we never look the same when they are not on the pitch even with just 20 mins to go when they have both been subbed off. They just give this team the perfect balance.

Maybe most important is a stretch :D but they are up there with Mahrez, Vardy & Drinkwater. 

They do so much to allow the others you mention to shine. 

I love the man. Top notch team player, seems to be a genuinely good bloke too.

He's so crucial to what we do, and when he's not on the pitch it's obvious. There aren't many players who would selflessly take on the role that he has and do it so well.

He really stood out in the Barcelona match and it reminded me of the way Carlos Tevez used to play for Man Utd / Man City in big away games in Europe, even though he wasn't particularly the main man week in week out he would be one who would step up and put the work in and look comfortable at the highest level. The work rate and link up play are essential particularly away from home and in games where you may have very little possession, a buzzing worker makes things happen whereas a static target waits for things to happen (not that we have any of those, even Ulloa has entered into the work ethic). More goals would be nice of course and seeing less of that half grimace half smile as the ball grazes the bar or rolls past the post, you feel he's sometimes worked so hard in the build up that he's s**gged out by the time he gets in the box. His regular subbing on 60-65 mins suggests the sports scientists know his optimum levels and whilst we joke about the amount of time he's on his backside he takes a hell of a lot of kicks without being unavailable for the following game.

23 hours ago, sdb said:

Correct. It's frustrating and a bit worrying too because in terms of quality they look replaceable. But we saw again yesterday how fragile we are as a team without them.

They're not easily replaceable though. You'll find few players with the work rate, positional awareness and discipline of Okazaki and Albrighton. On-the-ball there is better out there, but off-the-ball they are both outstanding players and you spend 95% of a game without the ball.

They only look replaceable if you completely ignore how great they are at fulfilling a disciplined and sacrificial role in a system allowed to give players like Vardy and Mahrez attacking freedom without compromising their defensive duties (as Okazaki and Albrighton do that for them).

Just wish English fans weren't so obsessed with a forward having to get goals and a winger having to get assists to see just how good both of them really are and how important they both are for us.

Said all along the guy is class. I constantly defended him in that stupid thread last season where certain posters said he wasn't good enough.

Has to start every week, it's as simple as that. The role he plays is his own.

On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 13:46, Finnegan said:

I've said since last season that he's a big part of Vardy's success and improvement.

He's not a striker, really, he's more of a midfielder and he creates a lot. Not in terms of direct assists but in terms of linking up play he's brilliant.

He also closes down everything that moves and is constantly looking to drive on.

I disagree that we need an improvement and I'm actually uncomfortable with us shoe-horning another striker in to play his role. Every time we try we lose the balance of the side.

Not totally disgreeing with you, except the  last paragraph.I rate Shinji, but like all the top players, its the managers job to

see where other players and formations can take us.We have and  will be Investing in new players,

shoe-horning is how you present it /using rescources to their full Potential is how I see it.

Keeping it close is ok, but not closed.We are champions, to progress, to tweek, to take the squad further is

the duty of manager and coaches.We will/may  see games where the new boys may not gell, or they slot

Straight in, putting a negative Slight  into a natural process Is not far-seeing.Neither Vardy, Shinji etc..

are the untouchables, progress is the Only untouchable.

IN this developement and expected improvement, does not mean the pushing out of any player,

It simply Means taking those forward steps with all your players. 1-2 gameS of misunderstanding

or mis-layed passes is missed/blind eye syndrome with known and trusted players

and picked up and seen easier and falsely analysed by fans when newbes step in.

Shinji gives us unique strengths, as will with patience others, old squad or new buys.

The fans more than most should......take and trust in our own banner...FEARLESS .

I am sure Okazaki, we will see further developement and an even better season,

but MUSA, ULLOA,  a.n.other, will play and have top or major Influences in this seasons

Progress..Shoe-horning is for our needs is incorrect word choice...

Might occur if we have 3-6 major injuries..

Especially with this season's defensive midfield absence, Shinji is my second choice striker, unless someone can better his work rate and defending from the front. For the same reason, I'd constantly start Albrighton ahead of Musa.

Archived