Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

The OH Leuven Thread

On 7.10.2017 at 11:49, urban.spaceman said:

Nigel Pearson keen to succeed in Belgium after Leicester City exit

By Gary Cotterill, Sky Sports News

Last Updated: 07/10/17 8:46am

Nigel Pearson is now managing Belgian second-tier club OH Leuven but he does not view it as a route back to Leicester City.

Nigel Pearson insists that being employed again as a manager by King Power is not the start of a return to Leicester City. 

Play Super 6 

There's £250k up for grabs in this weekend's Super 6. Enter your predictions for free here. 

OH Leuven, in Belgium's Second Division, is now Leicester's sister club - the majority owners are the same owners who sacked Pearson two years ago.

Speaking exclusively to Sky Sports News, Pearson says it was time to move on and rebuild bridges.

"It's positive from both perspectives. It's good to be back," he said.

Pearson reunited with Leicester City owners

Nigel Pearson reunited with Leicester City owners in Belgium 

"The way it ended was not great for anybody. But if you spend all your time thinking about the past and what should have been, you get nowhere.

"When we got back in contact and this idea was floated, we did it in a very open way between us. Rather than getting third parties involved, it was just 'yes let's do it', that's all you need to know."

For a manager who pulled off one of the greatest relegation survival stories in Premier League history, a job in Belgium seems a big move down, but Pearson believes in the OHL project - and says he was close to being appointed Middlesbrough manager.

Former Leicester City manager Nigel Pearson (left) hopes Craig Shakespeare enjoys his time in charge 

"I'm OK with people having different opinions on it," he added.

"At this stage in my career I wanted to do something that I felt positive about."

"I came close to the Middlesbrough job. I turned down a few offers. But after my last job [Derby County], I reassessed where I was. I needed a job that inspired me."

The way it ended was not great for anybody. But if you spend all your time thinking about the past and what should have been, you get nowhere.

Nigel Pearson on Leicester City

Two days after taking over, Pearson sat in the stands to see his new team draw. Since being in the dugout they've played two, won two. Leuven are now second in the table.

But suggestions success will land him a job back in England annoy him.

"I find that type of question bizarre in the sense that, I've just come here, I'm really pleased to be here, and I want to dedicate quite a bit of time to hopefully make a successful input."

Link to the original page - worth for the video interview alone:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11070444/nigel-pearson-keen-to-succeed-in-belgium-after-leicester-city-exit

1 hour ago, PintsandPyro said:

not a chance NP allows that to happen.

Really? He let Cambiasso pick the team back in April 2015. That's why we stayed up, entirely because of Cambiasso, if you believe people on here that is.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Wonder what the Pearson out brigade have to say! 

Essentially wake up and balls off. You've got 5 minutes. 

You all know where Belgium is. If not, roughly head south and take a left. 

Have fun. Or don't. We LEICESTER fans don't care. 

6 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Essentially wake up and balls off. You've got 5 minutes. 

You all know where Belgium is. If not, roughly head south and take a left. 

Have fun. Or don't. We LEICESTER fans don't care. 

That's a very big chomp, lol .

Edited by Wookie
  • Haha 2

90th+ minute winner again. Nigey Time.

Interesting to hear he took the Leuven role to feel positive about his job. And that he didn't take the boro job. It seems he's more keen on building a club and a team.

After what he did for us I'm looking forward to see him succeed in the same way for OHL. It'll be interesting to see if he can build them up and then keep them there, something his son denied him the chance here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Foxxed said:

90th+ minute winner again. Nigey Time.

Interesting to hear he took the Leuven role to feel positive about his job. And that he didn't take the boro job. It seems he's more keen on building a club and a team.

After what he did for us I'm looking forward to see him succeed in the same way for OHL. It'll be interesting to see if he can build them up and then keep them there, something his son denied him the chance here.

Well we need rebuilding.

6 years of hard work, building and rebuilding this club over two spells and it's been torn apart within 2 years, the most amazing part is we were at our strongest, I can't quite believe how mismanaged this club has been, how it's lost so much when it had so much to offer.

Pearson might not be the right man as a manager for us but I defy even the most anti-Pearson fan to say he couldn't do a job for us, building us, getting the right personnel in, sorting us out again, getting us out of this mess.

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

Well we need rebuilding.

6 years of hard work, building and rebuilding this club over two spells and it's been torn apart within 2 years, the most amazing part is we were at our strongest, I can't quite believe how mismanaged this club has been, how it's lost so much when it had so much to offer.

Pearson might not be the right man as a manager for us but I defy even the most anti-Pearson fan to say he couldn't do a job for us, building us, getting the right personnel in, sorting us out again, getting us out of this mess.

Now I'm not anti-Pearson overall, I just think he would be a terrible choice of manager for us right now.

We don't need a rebuilding job. We're not in that much of a mess. We need to sign a few players, the squad still has potential. We need a system in place that means we keep progressing the squad yes, the current set up is abysmal. But we've still got some talent we can work with and the legacy of 2 years ago does not have to be completely dead, if we act quick enough.

The first thing we need to do is get back to playing positive football. Something Pearson avoided. Our biggest problem is we have a team lacking motivation and a decent style of play. Solving those issues alone would bring a vast improvement. And we all know exactly the way we need to play already.

Pearson is just too one-dimensional tactically for what we're trying to do. However, if he wanted a Director of Football role I'm sure he'd do a dam site better than Rudkin.