Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Huddersfield Away Pre Match Thread

I want a new formation:

Kasper

Albrighton

Morgan

Maguire

Chilwell

Amartey

Ndidi

James

Mahrez

Iheanacho

Vardy

Marc and Ben as wing backs pushing forward

2 Center backs (against this type of opposition that's enough)

Amartey at the base of a diamond with Mahrez given free reign at the top.

Nacho and Vardy to tear huddersfield apart.

With this set-up 0-7 to City

otherwise 1-3

35 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Albrighton has been crap this season.

He has been alright. Only 4 games in anyway, so hardly like he has been 'crap this season'. By saying 'this season' it sounds like we've played 20 games and he hasn't performed. I don't like the excuse that because players get a few weeks off over summer they some how lose their fitness and ability to pass a ball and require x number of games to get up to 'speed' and 'match fitness'. They are professional athletes and should be able to perform 100% consistently, even after a short break. That being said, there might be some tactical changes CS has made and new instructions he has given, which might take some players time to adjust to, and the more they play together the more they understand each others roles. Not an excuse, as I said they are professionals.

Anyway, as I said, I'd like to see Gray start - not really because of anything Albrighton has or hasn't done, but I think Gray has a higher performance ceiling that Albrighton and needs more game time to perform properly. Which is a bit inconsistent with what I said above, the difference being that Albrighton is a 'seasoned professional' and Gray is much younger and needs to gain experience, and he can only do that by playing.

Formation changes are often not the answer. Ranieri tweaked it multiple times last year and lost the dressing room till Shakespeare reverted it. 

Going to 3 at the back can change literally everything in terms of where players position themselves when out of possession. I think some of us take it for granted how well Ranieri set us up in the 442. Positionally we are excellent, compressing space and forcing teams out wide. When we cut out individual errors the system makes us very hard to breakdown. Literally every Analyst around Europe pointed us out as the perfect 442 during our title win. 

It doesn't mean we shouldn't change it or evolve our formation but we won the title by choosing a very specific style of play that got the best out of all of our players. We still have 9 of those players in the squad and even if our team is ageing they've proven they can play that way. 

5 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

I'm waiting for the strange substitutions again.  If we go to Huddersfield and sit back and show them too much respect I really will despair. 

Away from home we've become negative and afraid... 

Amazing to think in 15/16 season we only lost twice away from home... Matched that already after 2 away games this season! 

WTF has happened to us!? 

Just now, weller54 said:

Away from home we've become negative and afraid... 

Amazing to think in 15/16 season we only lost twice away from home... Matched that already after 2 away games this season! 

WTF has happened to us!? 

We've played Arsenal and Man Utd away so far this season. Perspective.

Against those teams we are always going to sit deep and attempt to counter. Against Arsenal it worked and we scored 3.

I worry we have gone back to the tactics of the 14/15 season where we literally showed teams too much respect, set up not to  get beat too heavily.  End result we sat at

the bottom of the table for something like 9 months.  Later, when the shackles were eventually taken off and we were allowed to attack we realised we were a match

for anyone at premier league level and we went on the great escape run.

15/16 We carried on that same style and we made history.

How long are we going to keep saying the same things.  You have to realise we played Man Utd, Arsenal. Chelsea etc.  We all know its the premier league, we didn't expect anything from those games.  Doesn't matter who you are playing, set up to be negative, not to get beat by many. you will always lose.  Have no fear show no respect to who you play you may get something.

Burnley beat Chelsea Stoke drew with Man Utd and beat Arsenal so far this season.  I would say we are as good as both those teams.  If only Shakespeare and co had the

conviction to believe that.  I feel its 14/15 all over again and we have regressed.

2 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

Burnley beat Chelsea Stoke drew with Man Utd and beat Arsenal so far this season.  I would say we are as good as both those teams.  If only Shakespeare and co had the

conviction to believe that.  I feel its 14/15 all over again and we have regressed.

Burnley had a man advantage for pretty much all of the game, stoke shithoused those results with the same tactics we deployed but with a bit more luck. Hardly a good criticism of us.

9 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

I worry we have gone back to the tactics of the 14/15 season where we literally showed teams too much respect, set up not to  get beat too heavily.  End result we sat at

the bottom of the table for something like 9 months.  Later, when the shackles were eventually taken off and we were allowed to attack we realised we were a match

for anyone at premier league level and we went on the great escape run.

15/16 We carried on that same style and we made history.

How long are we going to keep saying the same things.  You have to realise we played Man Utd, Arsenal. Chelsea etc.  We all know its the premier league, we didn't expect anything from those games.  Doesn't matter who you are playing, set up to be negative, not to get beat by many. you will always lose.  Have no fear show no respect to who you play you may get something.

I remember when we played with freedom at home to Arsenal and got tonked 5-2

in the title winning season we didn't 'go for it' against the big sides. We were compact and defended our box for most of the games. they couldn't generally handle the way we broke on them. 

The only time we have really consistently  just 'gone for it' was back end of the great escape season at home - the away fixtures were pretty conservative in that run as we set up not to lose and to pinch a win or a point.   

too many just remember the odd game and not the whole picture 

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Formation changes are often not the answer. Ranieri tweaked it multiple times last year and lost the dressing room till Shakespeare reverted it. 

Going to 3 at the back can change literally everything in terms of where players position themselves when out of possession. I think some of us take it for granted how well Ranieri set us up in the 442. Positionally we are excellent, compressing space and forcing teams out wide. When we cut out individual errors the system makes us very hard to breakdown. Literally every Analyst around Europe pointed us out as the perfect 442 during our title win. 

It doesn't mean we shouldn't change it or evolve our formation but we won the title by choosing a very specific style of play that got the best out of all of our players. We still have 9 of those players in the squad and even if our team is ageing they've proven they can play that way. 

agreed he got us playing the 442

the other huge factor was kante. when we started that season all guns blazing it worked because he was able to get forward back and all the round pitch so easily

when after xmas opposition started sitting deeper to counteract us, we sat deeper and conceded even more possession and space - it still worked because kante would win the ball in front of our defence and thne drive forward at pace whilst the opposition was exposed and out of position, or Drinky dinked a quick ball over the top or down the sides

after Kante left - Ranieri foolishly tried to carry the same tactic, so when drinky won the ball deep in our half all we had was the ball over the top - which became easier for the opposition to deal with (think it worked against swansea and man city at home but that was it. other than those matches, if we won the ball deep there was no where to go apart from sideways and backwards because we were so predictable and the oppostiion was set. vardy i noticed was also deeper

Glad Iheanacho will play, I think he's class, but watching him in the U23's match he looked like his toe problem is still present and I'm not sure it's going away soon. Watching Iborra in the same game I can't believe he's fit. He has class too but he is slow, those of you who have been berating James and wanting Iborra may be surprised at the similarities. He could put a hole in our pressing game unless we play a 3rd midfielder.

4 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

He has been alright. Only 4 games in anyway, so hardly like he has been 'crap this season'. By saying 'this season' it sounds like we've played 20 games and he hasn't performed. I don't like the excuse that because players get a few weeks off over summer they some how lose their fitness and ability to pass a ball and require x number of games to get up to 'speed' and 'match fitness'. They are professional athletes and should be able to perform 100% consistently, even after a short break. That being said, there might be some tactical changes CS has made and new instructions he has given, which might take some players time to adjust to, and the more they play together the more they understand each others roles. Not an excuse, as I said they are professionals.

Anyway, as I said, I'd like to see Gray start - not really because of anything Albrighton has or hasn't done, but I think Gray has a higher performance ceiling that Albrighton and needs more game time to perform properly. Which is a bit inconsistent with what I said above, the difference being that Albrighton is a 'seasoned professional' and Gray is much younger and needs to gain experience, and he can only do that by playing.

I'm saying it in the context that so far he's been poor and we've massive competition for places so I'd expect if he doesn't improve soon he'll be replaced. Hence why Gray came on for him at half time last Saturday. There's no point having such a vast squad if there's no grounds for change on merit or loss of form etc. Albrighton and several others have proven their worth to us in previous seasons so they'll obviously get more chances to improve but there could be an opening for Gray soon.

If anyone wants a ticket in the away end I may have one available at short notice at the ground tomorrow. So if you are in the home end or know of anyone travelling with no ticket send me a PM and I will text you at about midday if this materialises.

Archived