Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shanghai

Chilwell is amazing

7 minutes ago, Milo said:

Well he's better than our right back at crossing, so...every cloud, and all that.

Regarding the crossing, I honestly think he doesn't see much to aim for a lot of the time - Albrighton is usually part of the counter attack and so can get crosses in quickly whilst the opposition are retreating/disorganised - Chilly usually carries the ball a fair distance prior to crossing it, and there are a large amount of defenders...and Vardy

Simpson isn’t considered to be an attacking fullback though, incidentally they’ve both got the same number of assists from crosses for us, a whopping total of one each.

It’s not just poor crossing which is an issue, as you’ve suggested it’s not just about the crosser but who’s in the box but Chilwell doesn’t really offer any variety in the type of cross. I’ve rarely seen him whip a ball in, drive to the byline, try a cutback or a low cross. Albrighton puts in dangerous balls because of the accuracy and usually the trajectory is more difficult to defend.

1 minute ago, Wookie said:

Simpson isn’t considered to be an attacking fullback though, incidentally they’ve both got the same number of assists from crosses for us, a whopping total of one each.

It’s not just poor crossing which is an issue, as you’ve suggested it’s not just about the crosser but who’s in the box but Chilwell doesn’t really offer any variety in the type of cross. I’ve rarely seen him whip a ball in, drive to the byline, try a cutback or a low cross. Albrighton puts in dangerous balls because of the accuracy and usually the trajectory is more difficult to defend.

Agree completely - I was only half heartedly sticking up for his crossing ability, tbh! lol

I like him, I like his energy and I like his running which in contrast to some of the more ploddy types we have - and I think he is an asset.

Maybe we could do better, but that is true of a number of positions.   

23 minutes ago, dynamark said:

I'm not sure there is any other position in the pitch where we accept someone who is learning and might be really good in a couple of  seasons .

Good wishes to the lad but he needs to improve and quick.

I kinda think we waited on Vardy & Mahrez. Neither one were top drawer at the start. Very few players are able to step into the Prem immediately. Ndidi has done well but still is a work in progress, Silva still hasn't got it. Iheanacho is struggling but apparently Chilwell is the weak link.

23 minutes ago, GB Articles said:

Chilwell has a very bright future. Looks a good attacking force down the left channel, but also has the balance to defend adequately too. 

Needa a lot more work on the defensive side, hopefully the amount of game time hes getting now will see him more developed next season

19 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

Needa a lot more work on the defensive side, hopefully the amount of game time hes getting now will see him more developed next season

Yes he still has room to develop, but he's progressed a lot during the early stages of his senior career.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lcfc sheff said:

the area he crossed for that goal seems to be something he should attempt more often - doesn't need to get to the byline every time, especially if we've got some height in the box already!

You have highlighted here one of the bigger reasons for poor crossing and getting to the byline all the time.

Without Iborra, Slim, Leo etc. there is no height, making balls that come into the box often look wasteful.

Albrighton, Chilwell and Mahrez constantly have to try and create a chance and work harder than if big guys are playing.

For me Chilwell was outstanding today another assist and looked for more assured defensively.

• Like 2

On 21/03/2018 at 22:38, Babylon said:

"He's championship standard".... one of the most moronic comments I keep seeing trotted out about our players.

8th in the league with him playing a good chunk of the season, but apparently that's not good enough to play in the premier league, even for a young full back learning his game.

All our players were Championship standard until we got promoted and then won the league, and all of a sudden they weren’t.

Tough call between Chilly and Maguire for Man of the Match yesterday.

He's getting better defensively. He's come out and said that him and Fuchs support each other plenty, and he learns from him all the time. Long may he continue to improve!

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Played well yesterday

I would say more like his mistakes didn't lead to us being punished, when fuchs came on to shore up the left and they both got skinned by the Brighton player was hilarious.

10 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

You have highlighted here one of the bigger reasons for poor crossing and getting to the byline all the time.

Without Iborra, Slim, Leo etc. there is no height, making balls that come into the box often look wasteful.

Albrighton, Chilwell and Mahrez constantly have to try and create a chance and work harder than if big guys are playing.

For me Chilwell was outstanding today another assist and looked for more assured defensively.

absolutely agree, feel like the next no.10 or winger we get needs to be tall as it's something we've not been capitalising for all the good positions we get in, would help chilwell's output along with others.

Happy to see him prove me wrong yesterday and he really grew into the match which peaked with a brilliant cross for Iborra.

At one point in the second half he did go full on Jeff Schlupp by outpacing the striker, dropped the shoulder to go the other way, drove forward and then smashed it into row z with nobody near him lol.

• Like 1