Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shanghai

Chilwell is amazing

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Gareth Bale didn’t win a game with Spurs for about 2 years and they nearly sold him to Forest. I know that’s a really rare example of improvement but it does happen.

I would write Chilwell off yet but we should probably loan him out next season.

Also, i’m not entirely convinced by Shaw with a questionable work ethic. I know Jose is a massive **** but he’s not the only one to question it.

Bale is another interesting one, he was quite clearly not a fullback because he was far, far better going forward than defensively. His improvement was probably down to the change in position that allowed him to flourish simply rather than game time.

To put it bluntly, I think Chilwell in 200 games time will be a similar sort of player he is now unfortunately - he can dribble but lacks defensively ability and still can't cross.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Bale is another interesting one, he was quite clearly not a fullback because he was far, far better going forward than defensively. His improvement was probably down to the change in position that allowed him to flourish simply rather than game time.

To put it bluntly, I think Chilwell in 200 games time will be a similar sort of player he is now unfortunately - he can dribble but lacks defensively ability and still can't cross.

Sadly I agree however I think he is worth sticking with for the time being.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthfieldsFox said:

JM lol 

He sold lukaku / de Bryuna / Salah 

two turn into world class players and he buys back the one donkey for 80m lol 

What he thinks about shaw is NO indication of how good the lad is 

your more like the Southampton fans than you realise 

Remember that Chelsea don't include the manager in transfers, its done by committee .This the reason Conte has been so unhappy. 

13 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Gareth Bale didn’t win a game with Spurs for about 2 years and they nearly sold him to Forest. I know that’s a really rare example of improvement but it does happen.

I would write Chilwell off yet but we should probably loan him out next season.

Also, i’m not entirely convinced by Shaw with a questionable work ethic. I know Jose is a massive **** but he’s not the only one to question it.

I didn't expect you to give up on him this early like some of the knee jerkers do on here. lol

Seriously though I agree regarding Shaw, attitude and work ethic appear to be suspect. I wouldn't want us to take an expensive gamble on him. I think we should give Chilwell time as he will improve and could still develop into a very good player.

14 hours ago, Wookie said:

Bale grew about a foot and put on serious muscle mass which allowed him to excel as a powerful wingback/winger.

Chilwell doesn't appear to have one really outstanding trait. He's just a decent footballer that will probably spend time yo-yoing between the Championship and Premier League with various clubs unless he starts to show dramatic improvement.

I'd say he's good when he gets the ball down and drives at the fullbacks so I think he'll end up as a winger.

• Like 2

I like Chilwell and i think we need to show some patience with a young player who is only 21 but if we are seriously looking at back ups/replacements, 19 year old Ryan Sessegnon might be a good bet as a future star! 

30+ games for high-flying Fulham this season in Championship at LB/LM with good reviews is a pretty decent effort for such a young player.

Lack of PL experience and transfer value would be discussion points as press reports suggest he is a target for a few top PL clubs....but can they offer him regular first team football...?

Edited by Foxy-Lady

12 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

I like Chilwell and i think we need to show some patience with a young player who is only 21 but if we are seriously looking at back ups/replacements, 19 year old Ryan Sessegnon might be a good bet as a future star! 

30+ games for high-flying Fulham this season in Championship at LB/LM with good reviews is a pretty decent effort for such a young player.

Lack of PL experience and transfer value would be discussion points as press reports suggest he is a target for a few top PL clubs....but can they offer him regular first team football...?

I'd have thought you would be a staunch supporter of Ben. He's come through our system, he's an England international, He's a great young player and he's gaining Prem experience - this is really his breakthrough season. He is exactly the type of player you've championed so well in the U23 set-up. You've got to stick with me and the others against the short-sighted, grass is greener bunch who want Ben replaced with "X" player who'll they'll be on the back off 3 games into his Leicester Career.

He can be a frustrating player at times and I'm sure I've berated him in match threads gone by.

I still have faith in him though, he's young and as he's put it himself, it's his breakthrough season. I must be a minority, but I thought he did well against Chelsea.

He got forward well and was the source of most of our attacks darting down the left wing. He still needs to improve his final ball and his positioning, but this won't happen overnight. Next season I think we'll start seeing the best of him and will be looking back on how silly we were to write him off.

I'm encouraged by the fact he himself can see flaws in his game and wants to improve. I'm sure this is what Puel can see too, hence the trust shown by starting him.

Edited by TheUltimateWinner

hes clearly not the finished article but when people already write a 21 year old makes me laugh lol 

Club and England Coaches/scouts with far superior footballing brains to us clearly see something in him so lets trust their opinion abit more.

You really think hes playing England under 21s and for a premier league club for no reason?

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 19:19, Wookie said:

Maybe we need to convert Chillwell to a winger then? :D as you rightly said, it worked for Bale!

16 minutes ago, Babylon said:

"He's championship standard".... the one of the most moronic comments I keep seeing trotted out about our players.

8th in the league with him playing a good chunk of the season, but apparently that's not good enough to play in the premier league, even for a young full back learning his game.

Think people have forgotten just how shit the Championship is. Chilwell would walk into any side. We got promoted with Konchesky at LB lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Think people have forgotten just how shit the Championship is. Chilwell would walk into any side. We got promoted with Konchesky at LB lol 

I look at Chilwell these days, then always remember that at one point, Jeffrey Schlupp was once our hope at LB!

I like Chilwell better. And who knows where he'll be in the near future.

If he uses his chance and works on his all-around game, both defensively and going forward (crossing), he could excel tremendously.

England aren't really that spoilt for good young left-backs. If you look past Rose (28 in the summer), Baines (33), Bertrand (29 in the summer), Milner (32) and Kieran Gibbs (28), who else is coming up? Luke Shaw and maybe Sessegnon, but the latter's often found up front on the wings and Shaw's a shadow of his former self. Then we have Ashley Young who'll be 33 in July, Cresswell is 27, Charlie Daniels 31. :D

There's a window of opportunity in two, three years' time.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FIF said:

I'd have thought you would be a staunch supporter of Ben. He's come through our system, he's an England international, He's a great young player and he's gaining Prem experience - this is really his breakthrough season. He is exactly the type of player you've championed so well in the U23 set-up. You've got to stick with me and the others against the short-sighted, grass is greener bunch who want Ben replaced with "X" player who'll they'll be on the back off 3 games into his Leicester Career.

You are abosultely right my friend....and I am 100% alongside you all the way on this!

in my previous post on this as i was just seeking to highlight there were other young talents available other than Luke Shaw...... but I really like Ben Chilwell and while there are parts of his game that probably still need to be developed, I hope he is given the time and encouragement that ALL young playesr need in such a competitive league where "points cost money" and everyone is just too quick to make snap judgements without ever taking a step back and looking at the longer term...

Hands up all those who thought Harry Kane would develope into such a good player when he was here on loan as a 19/20 year old...?

• Like 2

I could be on board with a lot of the arguments for him if he was genuinely good going forwards but it’s not the case. So often he gets into a great position to deliver a cross, but instead he usually either passes to a player (Albrighton mostly) under more pressure than himself of floats a harmless cross in. 

I saw a Mercury headline (didn’t read the article admittedly) that said he’s been learning from Fuchs, should have been happening anyway but hopefully he gets better at crossing.

4 minutes ago, Wookie said:

I could be on board with a lot of the arguments for him if he was genuinely good going forwards but it’s not the case. So often he gets into a great position to deliver a cross, but instead he usually either passes to a player (Albrighton mostly) under more pressure than himself of floats a harmless cross in. 

I saw a Mercury headline (didn’t read the article admittedly) that said he’s been learning from Fuchs, should have been happening anyway but hopefully he gets better at crossing.

Well he's better than our right back at crossing, so...every cloud, and all that.

Regarding the crossing, I honestly think he doesn't see much to aim for a lot of the time - Albrighton is usually part of the counter attack and so can get crosses in quickly whilst the opposition are retreating/disorganised - Chilly usually carries the ball a fair distance prior to crossing it, and there are a large amount of defenders...and Vardy