Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

10 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

Silverware? Oh come on:) Even Leicester would not win the EL:)

I had Burnley down to go quite far into that competition as you generally have a well drilled and tough to break down side who can always nick something at the other end. Why couldn’t you win it? Why couldn’t we (if we qualified)? Some part of following football is surely the hope of living to see the day of glory for your club and city? Life’s more fun with a “glass is half full” outlook.

Our recent European adventure was brilliant and the Sevilla game probably one of the best games and atmospheres ever for our club. It made me remember why European football can be so special.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

Silverware? Oh come on:) Even Leicester would not win the EL:)

Any English side should be amongst the favourites to win the Europa League with our budgets. Even Fulham and Middlesbrough got to the final in the last decade or so. I've just had a look at Olympiakos's transfer business over the last five years and they've made a profit in that time and only spent £5m this season on arrivals and received £11m on departures.

If Leicester had qualified I'd like to think we'd play a second string team to keep our main players fresh for the league but would still fancy us to be good enough to be in the competition by 2019 and then depending on our league position decide if we can have a real go at trying to win it.

5 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

It is truly bizarre. Surely the point of following your team is for the different shared experiences that come with it and the opportunity to win things. If presented with a rare opportunity to experience European football then you should embrace it, savour every moment and pray it lasts as long as possible.

This obsession that surviving in the Premier League is the only thing that matters, even if it means watching dire football for years on end is sickening.  

Rather than being a passion, following your team seems to have become a mere fashion accessory and status symbol for an ever increasing number of 'customers' (not fans). This glory supporting (in loose terms) used to be only linked to the big clubs but now seems to pervade every club that happens to be in the Premier League.

God I feel old and out of touch with the game these days....

Exactly the FA cup third round used to be the most eagerly awaited Saturday of the season. Bumper crowds at most grounds.

Now I doubt even the little clubs care as they know the big clubs will leave the stars at home or on the bench.

All the shitting on Burnley aside, if they drop points in the league due to EL commitments and end up needing them at the end of the season to stay up - that would be a hard pill to swallow, IMO.

Edited by UPinCarolina

4 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

All the shitting on Burnley aside, if they drop points in the league due to EL commitments and end up needing them at the end of the season to stay up - that would be a hard pill to swallow, IMO.

We might as well abandon the game all together then. No one wants to play cup games in fear of getting relegated from the prem. And only five or six teams stand a chance of winning the prem.

What's the point of carrying on.

14 minutes ago, sylofox said:

We might as well abandon the game all together then. No one wants to play cup games in fear of getting relegated from the prem. And only five or six teams stand a chance of winning the prem.

We need something to moan about.

14 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Exactly.

Burnley, could and should do well in the Europa League.

If they didn't want to go for it they should have given their place to someone who would. We all said they needed to deepen their squad to play in the EL and perform in the PL, they didn't, it's their own fault they have plenty of money. 

I do hope they qualify for the group stages because I believe it will weaken them in the PL due to their short-sighted meanness.

I also agree with the sentiments made about the FAcup. It was such a glorious competition and it has been devalued so much.

your Prem comments are bang on too. What's the point Burnley and 10+ other teams even bothering?

Worse than that it's a fan who is saying this.

Maybe it's time for the European superliga and then British football can return to meaning something to every other team in the FA.

1 minute ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Arrrghh! I knew this would happen. The big clubs hoovering up all the talent and just stockpiling them on their bench. We're weaker, they're really no better, and a top player is kicking his heels on the bench. Everybody loses.

Yep, the Mahrez signing was just pure greed. They already had more than enough attacking talent without him. If anything they are more short of CMs.

4 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Arrrghh! I knew this would happen. The big clubs hoovering up all the talent and just stockpiling them on their bench. We're weaker, they're really no better, and a top player is kicking his heels on the bench. Everybody loses.

It's always happened.

Man Utd and Chelsea being the main offenders (Or Liverpool when it comes to Southampton players).

Man City are taking it to another level though.

If they can buy a player to weaken another team or just so another team can't have a certain player they will.

If i were a burnley fan i would value premier league stability and all the money that comes with it - over the europa league.

They over achieved last season(no offence) and would be better off building a strong squad before aiming for europe.

16 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Looking forward to this title decider between the might Wolves and Man City...

Hardly a title decider though - even if Man City will manage to scrape a win today, they won't be able to win all remaining 35 games and the wolves surely will.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RussianFox said:

Hardly a title decider though - even if Man City will manage to scrape a win today, they won't be able to win all remaining 35 games and the wolves surely will.

Think we could be the only team to beat Wolverhampton Hotspur this season?