Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

Refs only seem to want to pull up players for diving when the punishment will have the most impact, a second yellow and a red. Rarely see a first booking for diving. It's either a booking or it's not, but refs seem to pick and choose the ones they punish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Refs only seem to want to pull up players for diving when the punishment will have the most impact, a second yellow and a red. Rarely see a first booking for diving. It's either a booking or it's not, but refs seem to pick and choose the ones they punish.

And what about diving to get someone a yellow/a free kick elsewhere on the pitch? How many times did Murray back into our CBs and fall over dramatically trying to get the free kick? Not a yellow in site.

9 minutes ago, FIF said:

And what about diving to get someone a yellow/a free kick elsewhere on the pitch? How many times did Murray back into our CBs and fall over dramatically trying to get the free kick? Not a yellow in site.

Outside the box dives hardly ever get punished, good point, and are often not even picked up on. They may seem less significant than dives in the area, but every decision affects the game. A throw in given the wrong way in the Everton Cardiff match changed from Cardiff being on the attack to Everton scoring a minute later instead, so even a seemingly insignificant event can change a game. A dive is a dive anywhere on the pitch and all should be subject to the same punishment.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

After we play Southampton, our next 5 games in the league are all against London teams (Watford, Fulham, Spurs, Crystal Palace, Chelsea).

Surely no other team has such a run of games like that this season?

Watford aren't a London team

• Like 4

I really like Eddie Howe and Bournemouth. Play nice football with a real sense of togetherness and I'd have several of their forward players in our squad. Every time I hear or read an interview with Howe he comes across superbly and they consistently punch above their weight. Would like to see him here, but I reckon his next step will be to a bigger role now. Deserve to at least be level in this game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

I really like Eddie Howe and Bournemouth. Play nice football with a real sense of togetherness and I'd have several of their forward players in our squad. Every time I hear or read an interview with Howe he comes across superbly and they consistently punch above their weight. Would like to see him here, but I reckon his next step will be to a bigger role now. Deserve to at least be level in this game.

If there is something to dislike about Howe, I haven't seen it. Seems refreshingly honest at times and doesn't tend to blame every defeat on decisions which went against his team. He can get as angry as the next manager if a bad call goes against him but he tends to focus on it less. 

I think you're right, at some point, if Bournemouth continue to punch above their weight, he may just get the chance of a much bigger role.

7 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

If there is something to dislike about Howe, I haven't seen it. Seems refreshingly honest at times and doesn't tend to blame every defeat on decisions which went against his team. He can get as angry as the next manager if a bad call goes against him but he tends to focus on it less. 

I think you're right, at some point, if Bournemouth continue to punch above their weight, he may just get the chance of a much bigger role.

I suppose his recruitment has been called into question in the past, but that's the easiest area to rectify with a good recruitment team around him. He's a great coach though, no doubt - to get some average players who were part of his league 1 team performing week in week out in the prem is no mean feat.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KFS said:

If we have a good Christmas 7th is ours to defend

Got a lot of tough games and we've had a right easy last 6 weeks and yet not really been very impressive so it's a big ask. We are notoriously poor over Xmas as well. Let's hope we're due a good one