Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

2 hours ago, tickler28 said:

No but we certainly weren't playing like we had anything to play for.....ala Wolves and Everton today. Premier league survival and getting top 4 are motivations that far outweigh finishing 7th

I wouldn’t disagree, but I think we put a good shift in, had the desire to win, but just had a bad day at the office

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Scholes making excuses for the linesman's mistake, imagine if it had been the other way round.

Bit like Dyche praising the ref for making the assistant change his mind on the Cardiff penalty..

All hell would have broken loose had it been a decision against Burnley.

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Wow we are so lucky! All of our rivals failed to capitalise on our cock up. 

We don’t deserve Europe but still have an outside chance! Incredible turn of events really. 

Agreed but Watford haven't played yet.

They could win the FA Cup and finish seventh and qualify twice.

2 hours ago, Livid said:

It’s incredible we’re still in with a shout when you consider how meh we have been compared with how everyone has been raving about Wolves and to a lesser extent Watford. 

Wolves lost twice to Huddersfield of all teams which is 6 points left on the table right there. But yes it is amazing given how amazingly mediocre we have been that we are anywhere near the rest of the pack. We've been so very average at best this season. The Newcastle game was a massive disappointment because just when it seemed like we had turned a corner, we just ran face first into the brick wall of mediocrity!

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

The cynic in me wonders if our rivals really want 7th. Those Europa qualifiers could interfere with players time on an exotic beach somewhere.

It could even explain our performance last night.

We could definitely be on the beach. Newcastle looked like they had something to play for, whereas though we wanted to win, it was miles away from a blood and thunder performance. The fast start from the previous games was nowhere to be seen sadly. 

Regarding Europe, I think all of Watford / Wolves / West Ham / Everton and us want European football as potentially you can attract better players. And unlike Burnley last season, I think all are good enough that whilst league position may suffer, they are unlikely to go down. If we got Europe I could see us finishing 12th next season as a result, but I think all of these teams are trying to break into that "in Europe every season" bracket of clubs.

5 minutes ago, murphy said:

Agreed but Watford haven't played yet.

They could win the FA Cup and finish seventh and qualify twice.

For sure, and they are probably the most deserving team to qualify IMO. They had a great start, then faded a bit, but then have come back strong. Although I think they have been average, they have been fairly consistent in their performances this season. I have heard they have the oldest average age of any team in the league and their experience I feel is helping them to get through a few games. Gracia deserves a lot of credit as Watford have had a ton of managers, but this guy has made them the most solid I have seen since they returned.

But the funny thing is that of all of these teams, none have been that great. I'm trying to think who have been the best we have played of the other midtable teams and I'd begrudgingly say Wolves even though we beat them once and should have got a draw against them at Molineux. Watford were solid but unspectacular. Everton and West Ham were average at best. I guess it's why we are all midtable and why we are all miles away from 6th place. It's great Rodgers says the idea is to push for 6th but to even get within 10 points next season would require a big improvement on current showing.

It just makes 15/16 all the more remarkable. We only lost 3 times, two by the odd goal and one with a 94th minute winner. We cleaned up against mid and bottom table. How on earth did we do it!?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

For sure, and they are probably the most deserving team to qualify IMO. They had a great start, then faded a bit, but then have come back strong. Although I think they have been average, they have been fairly consistent in their performances this season. I have heard they have the oldest average age of any team in the league and their experience I feel is helping them to get through a few games. Gracia deserves a lot of credit as Watford have had a ton of managers, but this guy has made them the most solid I have seen since they returned.

But the funny thing is that of all of these teams, none have been that great. I'm trying to think who have been the best we have played of the other midtable teams and I'd begrudgingly say Wolves even though we beat them once and should have got a draw against them at Molineux. Watford were solid but unspectacular. Everton and West Ham were average at best. I guess it's why we are all midtable and why we are all miles away from 6th place. It's great Rodgers says the idea is to push for 6th but to even get within 10 points next season would require a big improvement on current showing.

It just makes 15/16 all the more remarkable. We only lost 3 times, two by the odd goal and one with a 94th minute winner. We cleaned up against mid and bottom table. How on earth did we do it!?

As much as I hate to say it, I think Wolves probably have been the best of our group this year.  It remains to be seen how hqard that Semi-Final sickener hits them though.

Then Watford.  They're a good team and have had a great season.  Man for man, I would put our squad a little ahead of theirs but as you say, they have experience whereas we are babies.  They also have a big physical presence which is why I give them half a chance in the cup final.  Man City will obviously be favourites but I think Watford have a chance of knocking them off their stride.

That leaves us ninth best this season but on an upward trajectory and hopefully next season we will have ironed out some of the silly mistakes that have dogged this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

As much as I hate to say it, I think Wolves probably have been the best of our group this year.  It remains to be seen how hqard that Semi-Final sickener hits them though.

Then Watford.  They're a good team and have had a great season.  Man for man, I would put our squad a little ahead of theirs but as you say, they have experience whereas we are babies.  They also have a big physical presence which is why I give them half a chance in the cup final.  Man City will obviously be favourites but I think Watford have a chance of knocking them off their stride.

That leaves us ninth best this season but on an upward trajectory and hopefully next season we will have ironed out some of the silly mistakes that have dogged this one.

Yeah good assessment there. I'd have taken 9th at the start of the season given the loss of Mahrez and bringing in so many new players into the team. Barnes, Ricardo, Maddison, Tielemans (if he stays and I think he will), Evans all first team players and important to our success. Gray also getting a run of games / first team, though for me he's shown he's a squad player at best and not kicked on as we would have liked. Also with Puel leaving, I see the glimmer of playing football that is entertaining, even if vs Newcastle was arguably as bad if not worse than many Puel home games.

But like everyone else I want to see us try and push on next season. We have been blessed with Vardy and Kasper, two players who IMO could / should be playing for bigger clubs. In Vardy's case, a top quality striker like that is so hard to find and it will be almost impossible to replace him. With him we can win trophies, without I think we could do OK but couldn't see a trophy as we will probably get in a 10-15 goal a season striker, whereas Vardy is capable of 20-25.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

You yes, some people be like “omgz so frustrating wolves and Everton are losing”  erm it’s really not.

You can drive yourself crazy with what ifs, mean nothing at the end of the day. 

Still, is another opportunity lost. Just one of many, though. We've left enough easy home points out there that we could and should be closer to chasing 6th tbqh. 

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

You can drive yourself crazy with what ifs, mean nothing at the end of the day. 

Still, is another opportunity lost. Just one of many, though. We've left enough easy home points out there that we could and should be closer to chasing 6th tbqh. 

Given the season Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal are having this is a good point. But, we’ve shown our level, we’re not good enough for that. Could have been, but we’re not. So we move on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Manini said:

Given the season Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal are having this is a good point. But, we’ve shown our level, we’re not good enough for that. Could have been, but we’re not. So we move on. 

Of course. 

42 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Of course. 

I said it yesterday in the match thread, I’ve got Jim Bowen’s voice ringing in my head “have a look at what you could have won”. And that’s the biggest killer for me. It could have been so much better...but...

I think, blessing in disguise. This squad isn’t good enough to be coming back in July and starting a European campaign. It would have given us less time to sign the players we need to. So I’ll take it, for now. 

Edited by Manini

At some point everyone will realise all of the teams 7th - 11th are there for a reason with a couple of points between them.

On our day we are all capable of getting points against the top 6, but all of us are inconsistent and also capable of losing to the bottom 6 teams.

We highlight what’s happened to us because we’ve seen it week in week out, but Wolves, Watford, Everton and West Ham have all dropped points to the bottom 6 this season.

We sit in 7th at the minute with the points on the board. 

When the last 5 games of the season come around it’s hard to say what a tough game is. 

Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, man Utd Arsenal and Chelsea all of European aspirations, Watford have a cup final on their mind and Cardiff, Burnley, Southampton, Newcastle and Brighton are fighting to stay up - Huddersfield and Fulham now trying to get some pride and build for next season.

We should be fighting for 7th and I believe we need 8 pts from 4 games to get it.

• Like 2

Watford are a step above us though. How is that the case?

If they win the FA Cup and finish 7th should they be seen as a better success than anyone but the top two?

Our inability to beat a shitty Newcastle is frustrating because it would have applied pressure to teams like Wolves and Everton and Watford would have had to worry about winning the FA Cup. If I were Watford I'd concentrate on finishing 7th and then play the FA Cup final for fun.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

I were Watford I'd concentrate on finishing 7th and then play the FA Cup final for fun.

WHAT? (I so hope this is in jest) 

Yeah we had already got Europe because we finished 7th so who gives a feck about the fa cup. 

With that attitude no wonder managers treat it as a joke Ffs.