Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Yes, lots of players get unwarranted and ott criticism on here but I think you're missing the point I'm making.

I did say that Ricardo took a handful of games but the point I am making is that those that cannot step up and slot in pretty quickly never seem to get there.

I would say, based on the evidence that I gave that you really can judge whether a player will be a success here within in his first 10 games.  

Time has nothing to do with it.

Plenty of players don't get 10 consecutive games, it's not good if those 10 stretch over a season or are mostly sub appearances.

Got a bad feeling about Solskjaer. He had some really favourable fixtures when he took charge and rode on his new manager/not Mourinho bounce. A good manager should be able to pick up a team after bad results. Will be interesting to see if he can do that.

2 hours ago, sylofox said:

So Ricardo has not improved from his first few games and some on here claimed he was not good enough. Chilly last season to this. Ndidi has been brilliant shite and brilliant. Vardy should have been sold to West Brom for £5m.

Albrightons been brilliant shite brilliant passed it brilliant. 

One mistake and some on here turn. 

I still don't think you are getting what I am saying.  I'm not talking about people's opinions on players.  

I am saying that on the evidence of recent transfers, needing time to adapt beyond a handful of games (ie Ricardo) seems to be a myth.  You make it quickly or not at all.

I can't be bothered to explain it again if you still don't get it.  Perhaps re read the original post.

Wolves are set to spend £36.5m on Morgan Sanson from Marseille. We could spend £40m on Tielemans. Everton could go big again.  The 3 of us could likely challenge top 6. 

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Most of those flops were never given a decent run in the team, that's not to say they would have turned out ok. 

But I'll stick by my premise that some players need more time and a decent run in the team to acclimatise.

On a slightly different angle some players despite excelling at the highest level at club football flop in international football and vice-versa with some players appearing a bit above average excelling at international level.

Football is not just a simple equation surely the Silva, Tielemans turn around in form with a change of clubs shows that.

I would say in response to that, that a player has to earn a run in the team.  Someone like Nacho has made himself almost unselectable this season.

Fair enough if you stand by your opinion but can you think of a single established player (ie not a kid like Chillwell stepping up from the U23s) that has started off poorly and taken 6 months or a year to become good for us in recent seasons?

I just think the evidence backs my argument.

6 minutes ago, murphy said:

I would say in response to that, that a player has to earn a run in the team.  Someone like Nacho has made himself almost unselectable this season.

Fair enough if you stand by your opinion but can you think of a single established player (ie not a kid like Chillwell stepping up from the U23s) that has started off poorly and taken 6 months or a year to become good for us in recent seasons?

I just think the evidence backs my argument.

Mendy?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Mendy?

He's been here a while but he only played 3 games I believe in his first season. had a long term injury then went on loan.

There isn't a player that came good after 6 months or so.  I think that the evidence proves my point.  You've either got it or you haven't it would seem.

43 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Got a bad feeling about Solskjaer. He had some really favourable fixtures when he took charge and rode on his new manager/not Mourinho bounce. A good manager should be able to pick up a team after bad results. Will be interesting to see if he can do that.

He's a poor manager, will be sacked by November. Terrible choice by Man Utd. 6th place could be up for grabs if we start next season well. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

The bizarre thing to me is that he has setup the team in recent games in exactly the same way that Mournho did. IE men behind the ball and looking to counter. But the reason he got the job in the first place was by being more attacking and trying to win games. OK against Barcelona that is understandable, but they've hardly been taking the game to opponents in their games against Wolves and recent PL games. 

This would be the equivalent of Rodgers playing Mendy, Ndidi and Choudhury against Newcastle after we have just won 4 games in a row.

Oh god, I've jinxed us now haven't I?

47 minutes ago, Koke said:

Wolves are set to spend £36.5m on Morgan Sanson from Marseille. We could spend £40m on Tielemans. Everton could go big again.  The 3 of us could likely challenge top 6. 

If they get him that's £190m net spend since promotion, £40m more than our current net spend of £147m since we got promoted.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Koke said:

He's a poor manager, will be sacked by November. Terrible choice by Man Utd. 6th place could be up for grabs if we start next season well. 

If Sarri is still there and Hazard isn't, Chelsea could well struggle next season.

Solskjaer had a great start but it's already looking like that won't work long term, so they may also struggle

Spurs... if (big if) they lose key figures like Kane/Pochettino then I can't see them maintaining their current status.

Arsenal are a bit of a mixed bag. 

The top 6 could be wide open next year. Chances are at least two of those will be alright and ManCity/Liverpool will continue to dominate so Top 4 is probably out of reach, but I reckon we'll see at least one of LCFC/Wolves finishing 6th or better.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Xen said:

The top 6 could be wide open next year. Chances are at least two of those will be alright and ManCity/Liverpool will continue to dominate so Top 4 is probably out of reach, but I reckon we'll see at least one of LCFC/Wolves finishing 6th or better.

Be class if we both did it.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Koke said:

He’s rumoured to have fallen out with Pogba and Lukaku ( there’s a surprise ) - looking like the writing is already on the wall 

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

If they get him that's £190m net spend since promotion, £40m more than our current net spend of £147m since we got promoted.

That's interesting..Just to keep us healthy ,I hope we can ditch our surplus to requirements players,and B.Rodgers is not left with access baggage!!

Plus besides Tielemans ,( hoping all parties agree) ...I suppose Rodgers will have some ideas on players he would like,to bring in at various levels...

Immediate cover,and investment cover...It's scarery thinking what a slightly above avg player costs,if one just want to top up the quality of the squad...

@Babylon  honest question...

Yes we have some good youngsters,but after Chilwell,Gray, Choudry,and Barnes.......Do we have other youngsters who will be knocking heavily on the door,

For next season????  

Edited by fuchsntf

6 hours ago, Xen said:

If Sarri is still there and Hazard isn't, Chelsea could well struggle next season.

Solskjaer had a great start but it's already looking like that won't work long term, so they may also struggle

Spurs... if (big if) they lose key figures like Kane/Pochettino then I can't see them maintaining their current status.

Arsenal are a bit of a mixed bag. 

So we are hoping our chances...by depending on foxes fans ideas and opinions that a big club like Man Utd have made an error of judgement...

That Chelsea good luck strain with Sarri,has ran out..and then Spurs are going to lose their so called top players....

Just on Spurs alone,they have shown that they often put out consistent top performances without their media called top players...In shitting on Spurs From this Forum,it's got forgotten they have a decent squad,with decent young players...!! Plus rightly they have earnt what level they have competed at, with less finances than the others,for a top 4 place,and competed well in the CL competition these last few seasons....Sometimes this spurs hate-line, borders on Sour-grapes,more than General witty football banter..!!...(jesus!!  I am finding myself defending them....)!!

Sorry but..!!  if we can compete for top 6, or even outside hope of consistently challenging to spend time

dabbling with top 3-4, then I hope ,we depend on what quality....

WE bring to the table,on manager,club &owner support,and quality of our own 1st choice 15-16 players....Not because others are lacking...!!!

Edited by fuchsntf

7 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Also true of someone quite close to home....keeping fingers crossed it's not just "bounce"

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Got much more experience than OGS behind him 

Pleased for you that you are sold on him. I'm prepared to wait and see how things are after his first transfer window.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Kane out with a "serious" lateral ligament injury to his left leg:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47902884

Highly likely to remain sidelined for the rest of the season - and beyond, into the summer.

Vardy out of retirement for the Nations league then. A Kane injury is pretty much a crisis for the England squad lol

Southgate told Vardy he felt the striker “still had a lot to offer” but the manager also understood the thinking behind the player’s decision. With England not exactly blessed with striking options, Southgate and Vardy have agreed to “not shut the door completely”, although he would return only if there were an injury crisis.