Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lee Monty

Gray ??

19 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

He had a good first half, commentators stated multiple times that he was playing really well and was dangerous on the ball but did not see enough of the ball. Boiled off 2nd half, he's inconsistent but I still believe there is a good player in there, when we we see him reach his potential is anyone's guess though.

A good first half? What exactly did he do in the first half for it to be considered good?

• Like 1

I'msick of Gray. Maybe I'm grumpier than normal cause I stayed up until 2am to watch that car crash but he did very little with the ball. He even squandered good opportunities at times. We have given him so many opportunities and he rarely takes them.  I'm at the end of my tether. I'd be fine if he moves on during the summer to try his hand elsewhere. I'm not sure he is consistent enough to flourish in the Premier League.

I'm sick of Gray. Maybe I'm grumpier than normal cause I stayed up until 2am to watch that car crash but he did very little with the ball. He even squandered good opportunities at times. We have given him so many opportunities and he rarely takes them.  I'm at the end of my tether. I'd be fine if he moves on during the summer to try his hand elsewhere. I'm not sure he is consistent enough to flourish in the Premier League.

Has moaned and groaned for so long about lack of game time, but has failed in so many peoples' eyes (including mine) to make it count when it arrived. 

One of those players where you cannot question the amount of potential this lad genuinely has. But on that inevitable flip-side, it is simply a matter of when rather than if, and genuinely have no idea WHEN we are going to see that come to fruition after nearly three years in LCFC colours and very little improvement has been indicated since then, with game time or not.

Been a particularly fierce critic of Demarai Gray recently because of his attitude and decision-making in the final third. And you know what, at times wondered if I was being too harsh and was just impatient in waiting for him to come good. But I just can't see that progression after the Cardiff City defeat where he offered extremely little, which is an increasingly recurring theme. Should have took that £25m from AFC Bournemouth and let him become their problem, sure the likes of Hamza Choudhury would happily take his place.

2 hours ago, Bezzanator89 said:

Has moaned and groaned for so long about lack of game time, but has failed in so many peoples' eyes (including mine) to make it count when it arrived. 

One of those players where you cannot question the amount of potential this lad genuinely has. But on that inevitable flip-side, it is simply a matter of when rather than if, and genuinely have no idea WHEN we are going to see that come to fruition after nearly three years in LCFC colours and very little improvement has been indicated since then, with game time or not.

Been a particularly fierce critic of Demarai Gray recently because of his attitude and decision-making in the final third. And you know what, at times wondered if I was being too harsh and was just impatient in waiting for him to come good. But I just can't see that progression after the Cardiff City defeat where he offered extremely little, which is an increasingly recurring theme. Should have took that £25m from AFC Bournemouth and let him become their problem, sure the likes of Hamza Choudhury would happily take his place.

This is pretty much why I set the bar a bit higher for him. A bit of a "go on then, what have you got" and it's just not been at all backed up.

Those stats posted a couple of pages ago are pitiful. I'd back Cardiff's wingers to beat those given the time in the side.

Gray will never make it at the top, he is far too inconsistent and rarely delivers any kind of end product. I’d like to think it’s inexperience however he isn’t.... he’s been around for a while now and should have found a consistent level of performance. It’s got to the stage with him that if there’s better out there then we should go for them. 

4 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

Gray will never make it at the top, he is far too inconsistent and rarely delivers any kind of end product. I’d like to think it’s inexperience however he isn’t.... he’s been around for a while now and should have found a consistent level of performance. It’s got to the stage with him that if there’s better out there then we should go for them. 

Swap him with Barnes.see  if Barnes can cut it in the premier league and see if Gray can gain form or confidence in the Championship.

People talk of his potential still, why? 

How many games or seasons does a young lad at the pinnacle of his fitness need to realise his potential? 

He’s probably kicked a ball for a minimum of an hour a day at least since he was seven, been involved in matches every weekend since about the age of ten and been in and around people that are extremely knowledgeable in footballing terms that have been heavily involved with him since he was about 13. 

The art of football hasn’t changed since he kicked his first ball, the skills required are still the same, the requirements of getting to the opponents goal swiftly and unopposed remain as was, as does the requirements of utilising your teammates to facilitate the aims.

What does change in that time though is his body, his speed and his brain reaction time. That doesn’t continue exponentially though, it peaks and then slowly recedes with brain reaction the first to go. If his brain reaction wasn’t the sharpest, it isn’t going to get better as he gets older, so his game will not and cannot improve. He may continue to run fast and he can easily look after his body quite easily for another ten years, externally at least, but the truth is he will never get beyond the ability he is at now, so hanging on for potential is just wasted time and that time would be better used finding someone that has the ability already. 

9 minutes ago, Johnthefoxrayner said:

Gray is still young so he will improve, and again I see negativity aimed at a young player, what is wrong with those fans who just like to moan, they can't be foxes fans can they,? 

I think the point people are making is that he hasn’t/isn’t improving at all?

.... the fact that we play with inverted wingers does not help his cause. We need to switch him to the right in order for him to develop. 

There is a predictability to his game which can be ironed out by allowing him to play to his potential using his right foot as opposed to having to check back, when playing on the left. He has spent so long playing on the wrong side that it may take a run in the side in order to find his rhythm. 

Mark Albrighton started his career on the right, he has achieved a great deal with our club but having adapted to playing left wing I still feel that he has never played to his full potential. 

For the rest of the season I would love to see Gray start on the right, swapping with Albrighton and Ricardo playing on the left. Simpson brought into the RB position (perhaps Clyne next season) which would effectively give us a back three as he would not be expected to overlap and supply crosses. Ricardo has played on the left before, I think it is his best position, we have never had a great left winger for sometime (since Guppy, I would say) and this would give us a potent left side with Chilwel at Left Back. 

For all the talk of progress made with the young players at this club, Gray, seems to have stayed the same level, something needs to change. 

A previous poster compared his development to Theo Walcott, another player who failed to realise his potential by staying in a club and position which did not suit him and was not proactive enough to do what was required, even if that meant walking away and finding a team which wants to play him where he wants to be played. 

.... Gray might still end up at Bournemouth, it could be a great move for him.... would give him the opportunity to be the best he can be! 

18 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.... the fact that we play with inverted wingers does not help his cause. We need to switch him to the right in order for him to develop. 

There is a predictability to his game which can be ironed out by allowing him to play to his potential using his right foot as opposed to having to check back, when playing on the left. He has spent so long playing on the wrong side that it may take a run in the side in order to find his rhythm. 

Mark Albrighton started his career on the right, he has achieved a great deal with our club but having adapted to playing left wing I still feel that he has never played to his full potential. 

For the rest of the season I would love to see Gray start on the right, swapping with Albrighton and Ricardo playing on the left. Simpson brought into the RB position (perhaps Clyne next season) which would effectively give us a back three as he would not be expected to overlap and supply crosses. Ricardo has played on the left before, I think it is his best position, we have never had a great left winger for sometime (since Guppy, I would say) and this would give us a potent left side with Chilwel at Left Back. 

For all the talk of progress made with the young players at this club, Gray, seems to have stayed the same level, something needs to change. 

A previous poster compared his development to Theo Walcott, another player who failed to realise his potential by staying in a club and position which did not suit him and was not proactive enough to do what was required, even if that meant walking away and finding a team which wants to play him where he wants to be played. 

.... Gray might still end up at Bournemouth, it could be a great move for him.... would give him the opportunity to be the best he can be! 

I have thought for a little while now when he has switched to the right he has looked a lot more dangerous and gets involved a lot more in the build up play but when on the left you can predict exactly what he is going to do

• Like 1

Gray hasn't improved?

Last season everyone moaned he wasn't tracking back or working hard.

This season he's now working harder and tracking back.

His shooting or decision making hasn't, sure. (Although he's scored as many as Albrighton and assisted one less)

But to stay he hasn't improved in workrate or tracking back is insane. He's improved, just not how most want him to improve.

• 2 weeks later...