Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Adrien Silva

I only managed to get to the game after 60 mins and I was hoping Silva had played well. His passing looks to be real quality and I'm pretty sure he had the most touches on the pitch before he came off. (Although I know that doesn't count for a lot). I think he's a tidy player and we'll see more of him as the season goes on.

Seen a bit more leadership from him last night IMO. Thought he played okay, nothing spectacular. He was everywhere and looks fitter than last season. A good few games back to back and we may see some form from him. He hasn't had that since he's been here. 

Same for Gray too. 

I thought overall he played well. Yes there were a few misplaced passes, but he had a great energy and vision. Ndidi, Silva and Madders controlled that midfield for large parts of the game.... this is away at manure. It's lookin up if we can keep this style going. 

• Like 1

I think he was decent and for me needs to start, he constantly receives the ball and like people have said keeps us ticking... he does do the occasional poor pass but so does Wilf. He was decent yesterday against a midfield three including Pogba and Fred. How some can say he was very poor I don’t know! He wasn’t amazing but he did a decent job. We conceded from a stupid pen and a fluke goal and we bossed Man U at their own stadium.

• Like 2

If you watch him for Portugal his just does the basic stuff very well. I just wish he had a little more of Iborra’s physical presence. 

A good player. I don’t think he’s ever going to fit in totally  with the physicality of the Premier League. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Livid said:

If you watch him for Portugal his just does the basic stuff very well. I just wish he had a little more of Iborra’s physical presence. 

A good player. I don’t think he’s ever going to fit in totally  with the physicality of the Premier League. 

Same. His technical ability is fantastic. But it's fairly easy to muscle him off the ball.

• Like 2

Central midfield is a problem for us. All of them have previous for erratic passing performances, none more so than Ndidi. One week he's Yaya Toure and the next he's Junior Lewis. I've absolutely no idea what the best combination is. I like Iborra but he can be ponderous and slow, especially against the top sides. Silva is lightweight and can give the ball away sloppily, James is always injured and Choudhury positionally is all over the place from one game to the next. 

I wonder if Soyuncru is ear marked to play further forward, if he's not going to go with 3 at the back then it could be a viable option and may work?

• Like 1

A lot of very sloppy passing but there is no way he’s got as far in the game as he has being that bad at keeping the ball.

I just hope we give him a run of games now. It was madness last season to keep bringing him in and out of the team.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Central midfield is a problem for us. All of them have previous for erratic passing performances, none more so than Ndidi. One week he's Yaya Toure and the next he's Junior Lewis. I've absolutely no idea what the best combination is. I like Iborra but he can be ponderous and slow, especially against the top sides. Silva is lightweight and can give the ball away sloppily, James is always injured and Choudhury positionally is all over the place from one game to the next. 

I wonder if Soyuncru is ear marked to play further forward, if he's not going to go with 3 at the back then it could be a viable option and may work?

I think Söyüncü will end up being a RB this season. He is quick, good on the ball and loves a tackle. Has to be better than Amartey. I’m better than Amartey.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ricey said:

A lot of very sloppy passing but there is no way he’s got as far in the game as he has being that bad at keeping the ball.

I just hope we give him a run of games now. It was madness last season to keep bringing him in and out of the team.

He had a good run at the end of last season though when Wilf and Iborra were injured. He deservedly got the nod yesterday as he was better than Iborra preseason but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he’s benched for Wolves just because he gave it away too often. And if he was then I don’t think you can blame the manager for making that call. It’s up to Silva to make the position his own and I don’t think he can use “not being sharp enough” as an excuse anymore. 

As it currently stands Wilf’s partner in midfield is still up for grabs and any of Iborra, Silva, Hamza, Mendy or James (or one of the new signings) could take it. May the best man win!

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

He had a good run at the end of last season though when Wilf and Iborra were injured. He deservedly got the nod yesterday as he was better than Iborra preseason but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he’s benched for Wolves just because he gave it away too often. And if he was then I don’t think you can blame the manager for making that call. It’s up to Silva to make the position his own and I don’t think he can use “not being sharp enough” as an excuse anymore. 

As it currently stands Wilf’s partner in midfield is still up for grabs and any of Iborra, Silva, Hamza, Mendy or James (or one of the new signings) could take it. May the best man win!

It’s not about sharpness, it’s about adjusting to the pace of the Premier League. It is very hard to do that when you are in and out of the team.

We need to persist with him. He was OK yesterday but is sloppy and hesitant on the ball (a bit like Iborra). But saying that, there's times where he gets his head up early expecting quicker movement from our front players but there's nothing on and we go nowhere.

Mate of mine is a Sporting fan and keeps saying we need to stick with him as he's top class. My fear is he'll never settle but we'll have a much better idea over the next 9 games. 

I thought he was ok last night. Lots of touches on the ball, not scared to take responsibility. Yes his passing was a little wayward at times and he needs to play with his head up more, looking for his attacking options. But the same could be said about Ndidi whose strength is winning the ball but who then lets himself down with the first touch and subsequent pass. Not his strongest facet.

Having said that, I thought the two played well with Maddison in the first half and we had more control in the midfield than for a long time in PL games. We should also remember Silva and Ndidi still haven't played together very much and with Maddison coming in, it was really a new make up in centre field. They all tired somewhat after the break.

I think it augurs well and we will seemingly have replacement options off the bench to change games too. Give Silva a break and time.

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1

I agree that we need to give Silva a run of games to be able to judge properly whether he is up to the task of being a Premier League central midfielder.

Whether he can toughen up is debatable but he certainly needs to take more care with his passing - especially when he is not even under pressure. This is definitely fixable - maybe just with the confidence he would gain from one goal or assist.

Iborra, though stronger, is too slow (as is James) and that's an irreversible flaw, so as I see it Choudhury is the only viable alternative to Silva as Ndidi's sidekick.