Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Adrien Silva

20 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

When Silva joined I had hoped he was going to be the missing piece for us in midfield. A better version of Danny Drinkwater who is both box to box but can also pass short and long. He came with the credentials and I remember posting some of his audacious GIFS of him in action versus Real Madrid. He also has a first class attitude.

But in reality, he's not performed for us... yet. There have been games where he's been decent but he's never really set the world alight. At least Iborra who is also competing to get into the team right now has had a few displays where he's been man of the match whereas Silva has yet to do that.

And then if you compare him to Mendy, he's just had nowhere near the same impact. Mendy in his games for us this season has been fantastic. If you watch the game again in full from the weeked, you will see how many passes he makes. He basically runs the game for us up until we can get the ball to Maddison who then runs the game for us in the final third. Both players are currently integral to the team in the way we play in a way that Silva never was. You could even make a case for Mendy being our player of the season right now!

That doesn't mean I've given up on Silva, but I think right now both he and Iborra have to really work hard to get ahead of Mendy. Take a look in the Mendy thread of the GIF of him making a Forest Gump style run. In that passage of play despite being a shor player, he wins a header, plays it forward and then makes a lung bursting run to support the play. I have not seen Iborra or Silva ever do that.

Iborra and Silva will have their chance tonight and when we hit the 21 games in 7 days period around Christmas both will be needed again. They need to take their chances when called upon and make it impossible for Puel to drop them. 

Great post and exactly how I see it.

I thought he was going to be a class above in the central midfield. Right from the ludicrous situation over his transfer, it’s not gone as well as I expected.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

When Silva joined I had hoped he was going to be the missing piece for us in midfield. A better version of Danny Drinkwater who is both box to box but can also pass short and long. He came with the credentials and I remember posting some of his audacious GIFS of him in action versus Real Madrid. He also has a first class attitude.

But in reality, he's not performed for us... yet. There have been games where he's been decent but he's never really set the world alight. At least Iborra who is also competing to get into the team right now has had a few displays where he's been man of the match whereas Silva has yet to do that.

And then if you compare him to Mendy, he's just had nowhere near the same impact. Mendy in his games for us this season has been fantastic. If you watch the game again in full from the weeked, you will see how many passes he makes. He basically runs the game for us up until we can get the ball to Maddison who then runs the game for us in the final third. Both players are currently integral to the team in the way we play in a way that Silva never was. You could even make a case for Mendy being our player of the season right now!

That doesn't mean I've given up on Silva, but I think right now both he and Iborra have to really work hard to get ahead of Mendy. Take a look in the Mendy thread of the GIF of him making a Forest Gump style run. In that passage of play despite being a short player, he wins a header, plays it forward and then makes a lung bursting run to support the play. I haven't seen Iborra or Silva ever do that.

Iborra and Silva will have their chance tonight and when we hit the 21 games in 7 days period around Christmas both will be needed again. They need to take their chances when called upon and make it impossible for Puel to drop them. 

I think his ceiling is much higher than any of our other CMs - but he needs a run of games to hit his stride. Wilf is undroppable so either Mendy gives way (unthinkable ATM) or we play 3 in midfield which means Maddison may get the chop (also unthinkable). So it puts Silva in a tough spot. 

Basically there's a lot of competition for 2 CM places with Iborra, James and Choudhury also in the running, would be happy with any of those 6 starting.

I do think though we need a bit more creativity in CM and that Silva can give us that instead of Mendy long term.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

That doesn't mean I've given up on Silva, but I think right now both he and Iborra have to really work hard to get ahead of Mendy. Take a look in the Mendy thread of the GIF of him making a Forest Gump style run. In that passage of play despite being a short player, he wins a header, plays it forward and then makes a lung bursting run to support the play. I haven't seen Iborra or Silva ever do that.

Iborra and Silva will have their chance tonight and when we hit the 21 games in 7 days period around Christmas both will be needed again.

That's a Forrest Gump run all right.

GumpTired.JPG.b62ada967f4078c1a55f561eb323070e.JPG

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I think his ceiling is much higher than any of our other CMs - but he needs a run of games to hit his stride. Wilf is undroppable so either Mendy gives way (unthinkable ATM) or we play 3 in midfield which means Maddison may get the chop (also unthinkable). So it puts Silva in a tough spot. 

Basically there's a lot of competition for 2 CM places with Iborra, James and Choudhury also in the running, would be happy with any of those 6 starting.

I do think though we need a bit more creativity in CM and that Silva can give us that instead of Mendy long term.

....I think we are trying to square the circle!!!

We are attempting to resolve a situation which cannot be resolved unless we introduce a far superior player to surpass Mendy or supplant Wilf.

Silva is a light weight, gives the ball away mostly when not under pressure and Iborra is ponderous with the same propensity to give the ball away. Reading the various forums, Mendy appears to lack vision or the ability to pick a pass in order to release or play in one of our forward players. He seems to me to want to assist the forwards and is willing to aid the attack but Puel seems to want him to be mindful of his midfield duties and not to push forward.

We either recruit or continue to have this problem with players not suited to what is required of them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Great post, I felt exactly the same.  Something about him screams quality and he does look to have a certain "something" on the ball but he hasn't produced for us yet.  I think he would improve with time in the team but I would not drop Ndidi or Mendy right now.  The only other option (without changing formation) would be to try him out in one of the spots either side of Maddison as he is one of our better passers and could possibly create chances.  Before anyone starts, I know he isn't a winger but other than that there really isn't a place for him in the team at the moment.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Great post, I felt exactly the same.  Something about him screams quality and he does look to have a certain "something" on the ball but he hasn;t produced for us yet.  I think he would improve with time in the team but I would not drop Ndidi or Mendy right now.  The only other option (without changing formation) would be to try him out in one of the spots either side of Maddison as he is one of out better passers and could possibly create chances.  Before anyone starts, I know he isn't a winger but other than that there really isn't a place for him in the team at the moment.  X 

well said, i just hope he sees this as an opportunity to try and get a 1st team starter in the enxt  couple of games, and work harder. Sad to see him struggle because you cant deny his quality on his day, I dont want to give up on him just yet. Letws wait till the end of the Season to judge.

-------------------------------kasper----------------------------------

ricardo----------evans/soyenceu--------maguire---------------chilly

---------------------------------mendy-------------------------------------

-----------------silva----------------------------ndidi-----------------------

--------------------------------maddison----------------------------------

--------------------nacho-------------------------vardy-------------------

18 minutes ago, dorsetboy said:

Would rather Ndidi hold and Mendy shuttle between midfield and Maddison to be honest. Got a better eye for a pass. Silva could be a bit more free in a three.

Edited by Beechey

27 minutes ago, dorsetboy said:

Thanks Claude but we don’t need two right backs today.

4 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I think we are trying to square the circle!!!

We are attempting to resolve a situation which cannot be resolved unless we introduce a far superior player to surpass Mendy or supplant Wilf.

Silva is a light weight, gives the ball away mostly when not under pressure and Iborra is ponderous with the same propensity to give the ball away. Reading the various forums, Mendy appears to lack vision or the ability to pick a pass in order to release or play in one of our forward players. He seems to me to want to assist the forwards and is willing to aid the attack but Puel seems to want him to be mindful of his midfield duties and not to push forward.

We either recruit or continue to have this problem with players not suited to what is required of them.

Wrong..you are making thoughts into fact weaknesses ....This is your opinion.

I see,we have the Squad we have...time to put players in their position of strengths.Spend in round holes...codswallop..

They are profi- footballers,Silva ,Iborra..mendy,not a full PL season,behind them...So we give up and get relegated,because you think

It's all wrong....

No this squad is better,than your projected weaknesses....Profi-footballers are more astute,than the negative fans wish of them!!!!

2 minutes ago, FIF said:

Silva is a good player but at prem level he just gives the ball away too much.

I thought he'd be big for us but I reckon he's not going to make it now.

I'd say you could be proven right.

Expected a lot from silva but he hasn't made much of an impact at all. 

Once again he failed to impress, primarily from giving the ball away too easily and often in situations where he's not even under any pressure. Based on tonight, Iborra is ahead of him and both are miles behind Mendy.

I really wanted it to work out for Silva, but it's not looking great for him given Matty James is liked by Puel. Luckily we got through so he will probably get another run out, but if I was the manager then based on how he plays, I just couldn't trust him.

He just floats around. Maybe he'll do something really special one day, hopefully.

Can understand why Mendy is ahead of him because he's more combative and wins more balls back aswell as having the passing abilty, Iborra's ariel ability would also shade it overall compared to Adrien at the moment. Silva seems a good guy, really nice guy