Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

13 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Garth Crooks providing yet more evidence that he doesn’t know his arse from his elbow 

Crooks of the Matter

I thought at the time the sending-off Ryan Bertrand was a harsh decision but when I discovered Mike 'clever clogs' Dean was behind VAR in the Southampton versus Leicester fixture I wasn't surprised. 

Anyone who has played football at any level, and especially in the conditions both teams had to contend with, would have made allowances for the players. 

If Dean has played the game (and I rather suspect he has) then he should know what defenders have to cope with and therefore I can only assume that he wasn't a very good player. 

There wasn't one pundit in the BBC Match of the Day studio or anyone on the pitch at St Mary's who would have sent Bertrand off for the challenge on Perez. And why? Because they recognised and understood the conditions. 

Quite apart from destroying what would have been a perfectly good contest for the viewing public, he's instigated huge embarrassment to the club, its players and put a manager's career on skid row - all on a whim. You would also be very wrong to compare Newcastle's Sean Longstaff's dismissal against Wolves to Bertrand's. Longstaff was reckless. 

The long-held tradition in football that the referee's decision is final is no longer the case. Andre Marriner gave Leicester the advantage by letting play run on and they took it. To punish the Saints further with the ultimate sanction and a sending-off, as opposed to a booking, was double jeopardy and, in my view, not in the spirit of the game.

Trust me, Bertrand sending off would have made no difference on the win....the score maybe but we would still have won

3 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Garth Crooks providing yet more evidence that he doesn’t know his arse from his elbow 

Crooks of the Matter

I thought at the time the sending-off Ryan Bertrand was a harsh decision but when I discovered Mike 'clever clogs' Dean was behind VAR in the Southampton versus Leicester fixture I wasn't surprised. 

Anyone who has played football at any level, and especially in the conditions both teams had to contend with, would have made allowances for the players. 

If Dean has played the game (and I rather suspect he has) then he should know what defenders have to cope with and therefore I can only assume that he wasn't a very good player. 

There wasn't one pundit in the BBC Match of the Day studio or anyone on the pitch at St Mary's who would have sent Bertrand off for the challenge on Perez. And why? Because they recognised and understood the conditions. 

Quite apart from destroying what would have been a perfectly good contest for the viewing public, he's instigated huge embarrassment to the club, its players and put a manager's career on skid row - all on a whim. You would also be very wrong to compare Newcastle's Sean Longstaff's dismissal against Wolves to Bertrand's. Longstaff was reckless. 

The long-held tradition in football that the referee's decision is final is no longer the case. Andre Marriner gave Leicester the advantage by letting play run on and they took it. To punish the Saints further with the ultimate sanction and a sending-off, as opposed to a booking, was double jeopardy and, in my view, not in the spirit of the game.

If Bertrand didn't get sent off, would have been 10 nil the cvnt would have scored an own goal. 

Anyone who thinks that excuse of defender would have saved them from a hammering is stupid. 

I've said it before, but I'm sure Crooks has something on the bosses at the BBC otherwise I cannot see how he has a job as a pundit, it would be like asking me to write reviews of the netball, I could do it but I wouldn't know what I was on about. 

2 hours ago, Cujek said:

If Bertrand didn't get sent off, would have been 10 nil the cvnt would have scored an own goal. 

Anyone who thinks that excuse of defender would have saved them from a hammering is stupid. 

I've said it before, but I'm sure Crooks has something on the bosses at the BBC otherwise I cannot see how he has a job as a pundit, it would be like asking me to write reviews of the netball, I could do it but I wouldn't know what I was on about. 

He writes because you / I / we react. 

Some gigantic Bell-End and Sun journalist (Spuds FaN)  has just said on TalkShite that BR is destined to leave us for a top 6 Club. Apparently he would love to come back to London.   

Sky Sports and the UK Press hate it that we might gate crash  Cozy Club6.

5 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Crooks of the Matter

To punish the Saints further with the ultimate sanction and a sending-off, as opposed to a booking, was double jeopardy and, in my view, not in the spirit of the game.

But endangering your opponent with a possible leg breaker is in the spirit of the game?

4 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Yeah, it's all Mike Dean's fault that Southampton folded like a cheap deckchair and went on to concede a further 8 goals with just one less man.

Folded faster than Superman on laundry day!

5 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Crooks of the Matter

He (and others) want referees to make allowances for the players. Are the players incapable of making those allowances for themselves?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SecretPro said:

I would agree but they have been dining out on that notion for a decade now. They're shit. 

Being shit does nothing to erode their history. Look at England for instance - the country not the National team. We’ve been utter shit for decades, but that doesn’t change our rich and successful history. 

2 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Being shit does nothing to erode their history. Look at England for instance - the country not the National team. We’ve been utter shit for decades, but that doesn’t change our rich and successful history. 

Not denying their history at all, but I am denying their immediate future. There's so many things wrong at Everton that they are a long way off becoming that top 6 or top 4 team that the fans have imagined they are for the last 10 years. 

• Like 1

Just now, SecretPro said:

Not denying their history at all, but I am denying their immediate future. There's so many things wrong at Everton that they are a long way off becoming that top 6 or top 4 team that the fans have imagined they are for the last 10 years. 

A metaphor for England, possibly the UK as a whole. 

10 hours ago, ParkerPen said:

to be fair there's a lot of sense spoken in that thread as well as the silliness

More sense than silliness, in the main. Most of them seem to be of the view that we're currently just a much better-run club, with a better team and manager.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Some gigantic Bell-End and Sun journalist (Spuds FaN)  has just said on TalkShite that BR is destined to leave us for a top 6 Club. Apparently he would love to come back to London.   

Not just that but Gary Neville’s written a piece on how BR should go to a “top 6 club” in future, not to mention all the speculation regarding our players. I’ve even seen a rumour that Arsenal want Ndidi and have been “told to pay £50M plus Xhaka”!

I think we’ve got the “big” clubs running scared. Plus, should we carry on the way we are this season, who isn’t to say we will be seen as a Top club?

2 minutes ago, car1os said:

Not just that but Gary Neville’s written a piece on how BR should go to a “top 6 club” in future, not to mention all the speculation regarding our players. I’ve even seen a rumour that Arsenal want Ndidi and have been “told to pay £50M plus Xhaka”!

I think we’ve got the “big” clubs running scared. Plus, should we carry on the way we are this season, who isn’t to say we will be seen as a Top club?

Well we are Top's Club after all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

I know we don't want to hear it but BR would leave us mid season if an attractive job became available. The way he left Celtic shows that. We are using his talent to get us top 4/6 and he is using us to showcase his managerial talent to bigger clubs. It's a mutually beneficial relationship.

Let's just enjoy his football while he is here. 

• Like 4

Guest BlueBrett
2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

But endangering your opponent with a possible leg breaker is in the spirit of the game?

People use that phrase far too often these days, along with 'horror tackle', 'shocking' and 'appalling'.

I understand that the climate has changed and there is much greater emphasis on protecting players than there used to be, largely because of the amount of money in the game and the fact that players are now multi-million pound assets. That said, I can't be the only one who thinks it has gone too far? Looked bad in slow motion as they always do but even just ten years ago Bertrand probably wouldn't even have been booked. Yes he caught Perez high on the leg but there was zero force or intent and it wasn't from a dangerous head on angle. As they pointed out on MOTD he was actually falling backwards away from Perez and basically just poked out his leg. In fact it was his backwards momentum that caused his foot to come up over the ball.

By the way this is coming from someone who has had their fib and tib snapped clean in half playing football so I do understand the dangers and need for a deterrent. Like I say though, I just think it's gone too far.

Edited by BlueBrett

http://football365.com/news/premier-league-winners-and-losers-121

Winners
Leicester City, efficiency and building something special again

“Ruthlessly brilliant” was how Brendan Rodgers described Leicester City after they broke the all-time English top-flight record for margin of away victory, and he’s absolutely right. Fifteen Premier League teams have a chance conversion rate of between 8.5% (Manchester United) and 15.0% (Manchester City). A full 3.2% above City in second lie the Foxes. Five teams have created more chances and six have had more shots on target, but only one has scored more goals. None have conceded fewer. Add those numbers together and you have a side with genuine top-four aspirations.

There are two ways of interpreting this overachievement. The first is to reason that if Leicester continue creating at their current rate then they will revert closer to the mean. No team has managed a chance conversion rate of higher than 16% in either of the last two seasons, and they’re currently over 18%.

But the second and more persuasive theory is that Leicester are just getting going. If it is indeed too much to ask for them to maintain their current conversion rate, we might reasonably expect their chance creation numbers to increase. Ayoze Perez is still settling in, Jamie Vardy is being refined by Rodgers and James Maddison is yet to find his best form this season – even though he’s been pretty excellent. The core of this Leicester side is aged 23 and under, and they have no European commitments. Their comparative late-season energy levels will surely be high.

What is certainly true is that the nature of this Premier League season mirrors 2015/16, when multiple Big Six clubs are either in transition or suffering from a slump. Were you to remove the badges from the shirts and judge this squad with this manager against others in the division, it would hold its own. It has the meanest defence, the most exciting young core, the second best full-backs, one of the most reliable strikers and one of the most impressive man managers. We’ve been burnt by the ‘it’s only Leicester’ thing before. Don’t fall into the same trap again.

Nobody reasonable is predicting another title challenge, and Leicester have taken only four points from four matches against Big Six teams so far this season. But the more you watch them and see how they dovetail in attack and stand firm in defence, the more you become convinced that a top-six place should be Leicester’s minimum aspiration.

Jamie Vardy
A first away hat-trick since he scored three times away at Alfreton Town in 2011, and now the top goalscorer in the Premier League at the age of 32. Vardy clearly struggled to maintain a positive working relationship with Claude Puel, but he is thriving again under Rodgers. He has scored 19 league goals in eight months since Rodgers was appointed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Thanks for posting it, there are sometimes really good articles on that site. This isn't one of them. I had to give up after a few paragraphs due to:

a) it referring to a lack of pace in our center backs. Er... What? 

b) wilf's "excellent" range of passing (wtf? He's not bad, but that's not his job) 

c) the main problem. It seems to have been written by a semi-literate 16 year old who usually writes click bait articles. 

It may make valid points, but it lost me too early with basic errors and appalling writing. Good luck to anyone wading through all of that. 

• Like 3