Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

The disrespect argument is due to the accusations made against the USA women's team, and why the same isn't being levelled against Leicester. I was oblivious to the supposed criticism back in the summer with the women's World Cup but this is why some are bringing it up. 

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The disrespect argument is due to the accusations made against the USA women's team, and why the same isn't being levelled against Leicester. I was oblivious to the supposed criticism back in the summer with the women's World Cup but this is why some are bringing it up. 

Which is a ridiculous compassion. The criticism came from the difference in quality the USWNT had over their opponents, and why, such as simply having a huge pool of players to select from because of the county's population.. or finances/resources for training and preparing. Basically, the players are representing their countries, which have huge differences, differences that are out of the control of that country's footballing organization.

Southampton have been in the Premier League 2 seasons longer than us, so their lack of quality and failures are their own as a club. 

Idealy, (if there wasn't a record to go for and a golden boot to try to win, then) to "let off" without actually doing so in a disrespectful way, after the first half Rodgers could have made some substitutions; give Hamza and JJ some game time. But we only have 3 subs to make and a game a few days later.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Leicester and Southampton are similar sized clubs, with similar budgets and similar histories. The Thailand Women's team qualified for the World Cup by virtue of beating Timor, Cambodia and Myanmar. They were getting hammered in warm up games by teams that hadn't even qualified for the World Cup. While there may well have been an element of sexism in the criticism the US Women's team got, the two games aren't really comparable.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Babylon said:

If that was Liverpool scoring the 9, you think people would be talking about Saints?

I agree. If Liverpool had won 9-0 nothing else would have been talked about for 7 straight days. 

What if we did take the foot off the pedal and Saints came out in the second half and got two quick goals and then a third. The result sits at 5-3. Isn’t that disrespectful to the the fans who travelled up to watch us play that they only got one half of effort from the side. It’s a bollocks argument. Southampton lost a man, rightly so. Plenty of teams go ten men down. And don’t lose 9-0. We played extremely well, they didn’t and couldn’t cope. End of.

Personally I think we should be praised for our ruthlessness, we were putting the tackles in playing our football the proper way and got our rewards.

One striker has played himself into some form getting goals vital for confidence another had cemented himself at the top of the top scorer table, our young midfielders got goals and assists all part of their education.

Surely Southampton were being disrespectful to the game by downing tools when they went one nil down.  They showed absolutely sod all fight for the last 80 minutes.  Where is the respect there for the 25 thousand paying customers at what 35 quid a throw? 

We weren't disrespectful at all.  Southampton persisted in playing football in a way that was only going to get them hammered and they didn't really change it, and they certainly never adopted a damage limitation strategy at any point.  All we did was do our job. 

I think there should be a new rule where for every goal after 5 you score in a game you get an additional half a point. Where would we be now with my new rules? Just missed the chance for an additional half a point v Newcastle but picked up 2 more Friday. 

1 minute ago, GlenParvaFox said:

The short answer to that is, no. The question wouldn't even be asked if the likes of Man City and Liverpool had done it; They'd be drooling out their mouths and down below, over every goal.

That's right. If Spurs had done it with Kane getting a hat trick, the media would never let us hear the end of it.

Theres a bloke on Sunday Supplement who called the Bertrand red an "appalling" decision by the ref. Weird. I get if you think it was "harsh" or "unlucky" but to call it appalling is bizarre. It looked worse on slow motion, true, but it was still a dangerous tackle.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, The Syrup said:

ESPN asking if we disrespected Southampton by scoring 9 against them. FFS, theres always someone who wants to criticise even when we break records

This is an American sports thing. They have a concept called "running up the score" which is essentially piling on the points / goals when the game is already a "blow out."

It's considered a faux pas.

Personally think going in to cruise mode to patronise the opponent is actually a lot more disrespectful but hey ho the yanks are weird. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

Theres a bloke on Sunday Supplement who called the Bertrand red an "appalling" decision by the ref. Weird. I get if you think it was "harsh" or "unlucky" but to call it appalling is bizarre. It looked worse on slow motion, true, but it was still a dangerous tackle.

..... and this is why VAR will never resolve incidents because too many so called experts being paid to give their (controversial) opinions.

Not being entirely serious but they should probably ban all media discussion of VAR incidents, apart from anything else it's boring having to listen to them at the expense of discussing the actual football being played.

• Like 3