Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Sorry fellas but even if every person in Leicestershire was an Lcfc fan, it still wouldn’t make us a ‘big club’

im talking globally - when you go into a bar in the middle of nowhere in China and there are a few people wearing liverpool shirts and you think ..... seriously??  When we were in Hong Kong for the tournament and you couldn’t move for Liverpool fans ..... even the ‘Nepal reds’ !!!!

Of course, but that's where it starts, at home. If we have a local fan base that will fill a 45-50 thousand seater stadium every week then they will build one. Then we have the stadium, the local fan base, the ownership structure. The modest long term history and a very successful short term history that we are building on. 

It won't happen overnight but one way to grow is to increase the local fan base, increase stadium capacity and maintain our current success on the pitch.

http://www.stadium-maps.com/facts/epl_facebook_table.html

Do not know how accurate it is but it says we are the 7th best in global support in the Premier League. A long way behind the big 6 though. What is interesting is how well Man City have done to overtake Arsenal. Just shows what happens when you are successful. 

10 years ago thry would not have been anywhere near them. 

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

I think that is a good point we need to make Leicester like Newcastle or Leeds where every kid that grows up there grows up a Leicester fan. I am a little jealous of the fanatical support in Leeds and Newcastle.

When I grew up there were loads of plastic United and Liverpool fans. We make Leicester blue then we go a long way to creating a fan base that will sustain a big club.

You don't do that by making it a nightmare to get a ticket, we need another 10/15k seats

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

You create fan bases like that by staying at the top for a sustained period, and the timings of Manchester United and to a lesser extent Liverpool and arsenals dominance in recent years is what’s helped them to become perceived as unstoppable power houses  that have always been able to bring in the best players, it’s simply not true. They’ve all had periods in history where a player playing for the likes of Burnley Spurs or Huddersfield probably wouldn’t of been interested. Footballs changed a lot with the times, and it continues to do so.

Manchester City are the perfect example, yes they’ve done it with the help of investment, quite serious investment, but I can remember a time when them being noteworthy in world football was a laughable thought. And it’s the result of that investment on the pitch that’s put them where they are now not the investment itself. 

The Manchester United fan above needs to ask himself a question when claiming players will still sign for Manchester United for the same reason they signed for Liverpool when they spent “30 years in their shadow” ( a ridiculous statement to make whilst calling out other fans for being unperceptive, but that’s another story) and that is how many Manchester United players wouldn’t sign for city if they came knocking if his club weren’t stubborn enough to not allow them to.

for us it’s about consistency, it’s a massive ask, but if we can continue to do what we are doing, why can’t we grow that bigger fan base. Why can’t finish in the top six more regularly, and why can’t we give ourself a bigger platform to launch ourselves into becoming a commercial force and being able to bring elite players to the club. United had sky, Chelsea had ambramovic and city had the money from the Middle East. No reason to think if you manage to sustain good performance through careful management, good business, and fair enough an unlikely fairy tale title win, the result will be any different.

There’s a long way to go in that regard but we finally seem to be  building on 2016 with an extremely young squad that can challenge anyone on its day, those at the helm have shown serious grit when it comes to warding off other clubs from signing our best players, and if we finish top four continuing that job will just get easier. Old Red Devilish can think James Maddison is going to join the mighty Manchester United to play Hajduk split in the Europa league when he’s got the option of champions league football with little old Leicester all he wants, but he’s kidding himself. 

the future could be extremely bright. We could also go back to being mid table fodder next season for one reason or another though but let’s enjoy the moment :ph34r:

We can grow but we won’t ever catch the really big boys .... btw, Man City shirts are tough to find in e Asian bars. Of course there are people who simply want to be associated with winners. Would be fun to see what would happen if we actually won it again ...... perhaps our underdog status would encourage plenty to come across ?  But the pool and yanited fans simply wouldn’t jump. 

Well I hope that in the future all these overseas fans have clubs in their own country to support and we in England are back to relying on local support only.

A pipe dream and unlikely to happen in my life time but it’s how it should be.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

http://www.stadium-maps.com/facts/epl_facebook_table.html

Do not know how accurate it is but it says we are the 7th best in global support in the Premier League. A long way behind the big 6 though. What is interesting is how well Man City have done to overtake Arsenal. Just shows what happens when you are successful. 

10 years ago thry would not have been anywhere near them. 

If you look at most social media we’re mostly only behind the top 6 in terms of followers, which says something about our global appeal we’re ahead of most historical clubs in that sense. An international fan probably won’t have an interest in someone like Leeds. English fans will look mostly at history but that might not be the case everywhere else.

38 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

We will always struggle to be taken seriously as a big club unless Leicester’s population trebles.Or as Captain posted,we finish in the top 5 regularly for the next 20 years.

Maybe not in the same way Liverpool are a big club but as others have noted having the support of the entire county would go a long way.

5 hours ago, Markyblue said:

Who wants to be a man utd mancity Liverpool,  they have a huge plastic /armchair following.  We are Leicester we dont need to emulate anybody,  winning the premier league for me was an experience all of their plastic fans wouldn't understand., we are what we are and i for one love it.

And sadly we have a massive proportion of, whilst not plastic, certainly flakey fans who suddenly refound their support for us when we won the league.

It's comes with success, so I hope it's something that will continue to annoy me as it'll mean we're doing well on the pitch!

• Like 1

Brand Leicester is the game in today's world. This is 21st century football now. And the key component in the rises of Manchester Utd and Arsenal was the Premier League's rebranding. And title wins and cups continously is what let those brands prosper. It's what helped Chelsea and Man City become a known brand across the world. There are other parts to it sometimes like a star player or super attractive football and mostly constant European football to build the brand among the elites of the game. 

As it needs to be accepted really, it's not the same old game of yesterday. Clubs are big businesses now because of the money and a lot of the local community aspects of clubs change with the growing or lessening of support due to all this. The way the club is run helps with the smaller teams fill the ground but the real giants of the game are those that will fill their ground despite results, 

which only are Man Utd and Liverpool. 

Everyone else is just a pretender.

But even attempting to pretend has to have ambition. 

Maybe with King Power, King Richard III and the Ice Kings, we could brand ourselves as the a Kings of Football. 

Edited by LC/FC
Not forgetting Andy King

I live in Thailand, pretty much every Thai "knows of" Leicester. I see a few Leicester shirts around, but I also see plenty of Liverpool and Manchester United. Other than the King Power LCFC shop at BKK airport and the dedicated King Power malls (and online of course) it is pretty difficult to get your hands on LCFC merchandise. IE If i go to one of the big night markets here (Phuket) I can easily find Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs etc jerseys but not so much Leicester. 

3 minutes ago, Guybino said:

I live in Thailand, pretty much every Thai "knows of" Leicester. I see a few Leicester shirts around, but I also see plenty of Liverpool and Manchester United. Other than the King Power LCFC shop at BKK airport and the dedicated King Power malls (and online of course) it is pretty difficult to get your hands on LCFC merchandise. IE If i go to one of the big night markets here (Phuket) I can easily find Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs etc jerseys but not so much Leicester. 

No snide Leicester shirts on the Market?

2 minutes ago, Guybino said:

Is that because they'd actually feel bad about selling knock off merchandise of a big Thai owned company or I'm just romanticising it a bit much and everyone is pretty much a glory supporter? 

49 minutes ago, LC/FC said:

Brand Leicester is the game in today's world. This is 21st century football now. And the key component in the rises of Manchester Utd and Arsenal was the Premier League's rebranding. And title wins and cups continously is what let those brands prosper. It's what helped Chelsea and Man City become a known brand across the world. There are other parts to it sometimes like a star player or super attractive football and mostly constant European football to build the brand among the elites of the game. 

As it needs to be accepted really, it's not the same old game of yesterday. Clubs are big businesses now because of the money and a lot of the local community aspects of clubs change with the growing or lessening of support due to all this. The way the club is run helps with the smaller teams fill the ground but the real giants of the game are those that will fill their ground despite results, 

which only are Man Utd and Liverpool. 

Everyone else is just a pretender.

But even attempting to pretend has to have ambition. 

Maybe with King Power, King Richard III and the Ice Kings, we could brand ourselves as the a Kings of Football. 

Don't forget Andy King 

Edited by TheCryptoPoet

1 hour ago, mod hero said:

No snide Leicester shirts on the Market?

not yet, but we have an online delivery service named Lazada (similar to ebay) and theres loads of "cheap" football jerseys etc on there, there could be a couple markets in Bangkok, but in Phuket? I've not seen any yet. 

1 hour ago, LC/FC said:

Is that because they'd actually feel bad about selling knock off merchandise of a big Thai owned company or I'm just romanticising it a bit much and everyone is pretty much a glory supporter? 

unfortunately i think you are romanticizing it a tad, considering that their target audience are tourists, they probably don't consider Leicester as marketable as say Manchester United :( 

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Well I hope that in the future all these overseas fans have clubs in their own country to support and we in England are back to relying on local support only.

A pipe dream and unlikely to happen in my life time but it’s how it should be.

Well…. As a brand the English Premier league as about as big as it get globally….

Not everyone can get to games and there are more than enough armchair fans knocking about…

I’ve been working in Florida for the last 10 days and people watch it…. A bit niche maybe but it’s taking off…. I had a chat with 2 different guys who ‘claimed’ to be football fans and on chatting to them, It turned out they really were and I had more than a reasonable conversation with them…. Shame they were Chelsea and Man Utd fans though 😔  

On 10/12/2019 at 03:55, coolhandfox said:

Craig Burley is pretty spot on, there is a arrogance about Liverpool ex players and 90% of there fan base.

Nicol scuff at the fact we only have Kasper, Vardy, Evans in the satrtting 11 who have won the league and they forget to mention fuchs, Albrighton and Morgan all title winners also in the squad. 

James Justin, Praet, Tielemans, Ayoze, and Ricardo (and Benkovic) all have experience winning a league title, most of them pretty recently too. Oh, and our manager.

People forgot about how our 15/16 squad had so much title winning experience. It doesn't need to have been in the Prem to matter, a lot of it is mentality. And I'm sure without looking up each player that a few Liverpool players have that experience too from somewhere.

Edited by FireFox
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, dmayne7 said:

But it's also recognition. I went into a small restaurant in the outskirts of Kyoto, with my Leicester shirt barely showing through under my coat and had a guy come up to me and just shout out Leicester! Shinji. I know that's partly down to the player but don't underestimate the reach of our brand now.

Anytime I wear anything Leicester related overseas I always get comments. Never happened 10 years ago. And I've certainly seen more Leicester tops overseas than I have Spurs for example.

Obviously we're a long way away from being like the Liverpool scenario but that's about being a massive club. Leicester have never been a small club in my lifetime and we're not a million miles away from being a big club at the moment.

When I was travelling through Latin America a few years ago I was crossing the Ecuadorian / Colombian border. The border guard in Ecuador stopped to ask more questions about me, in Spanish, about "LI-SESTER". He noticed my place of birth on my passport and we talked about Leicester City for a few minutes. 

Had similar stories albeit this was in 2017 first season after we won the league but a lot of Latin Americans knew who we were and when I told them I supported them, I often got free beers! 

• Like 2